Bodyguard: Series 1 Reviews

• 2d ago

'Bodyguard' starts off with an intriguing political landscape, but in bids to keep up the action, soon loses itself in a story that becomes increasingly intricate, almost to the point of being ridiculous. The introduction and the first couple of episodes get you hooked, and you really start wondering how things are going to pan out for Julia, David, and many of the other characters. After the finale of the third episode, the show quickly ramps up speed like it's going down a whirlwind, and you mostly feel like letting go instead of trying to hang on.

• Jun 03, 2021

It is most interesting short TV series

It is most interesting short TV series

• Jun 02, 2021

Started out good (first three episodes) and then changed genres, from fast-paced thriller to plodding mystery. One of the leads died at that turning point, too, which didn't work for me. Episodes 4-6 became increasingly boring and unbelievable, especially the last one, where all the villains suddenly confessed to everything for no apparent reason except to tie up all the loose ends for the audience - no way would they have done that and sealed life sentences in prison for themselves Overly complicated and unrealistic. Thumbs down.

• Apr 20, 2021

Bodyguard starts out well as an effort to bring a searchlight onto important issues with politics, conspiracy, terror and post traumatic stress disorder among war veterans, but sadly gets steadily less credible by the episodes, ending up as a ridiculous farse.

• Feb 15, 2021

I need a season 2 so bad

I need a season 2 so bad

• Jan 12, 2021

Its a banger. Vivid, dangerous, entertaining. You can go for it.

Its a banger. Vivid, dangerous, entertaining. You can go for it.

• Jan 09, 2021

Top notch entertainment, wish there were more shows like this. From episode 1 you remain engrossed in all the twists and turns that make for great entertainment.

• Dec 21, 2020

It's not NOT-worth watching---meaning: it's pretty good and I suppose mostly WORTH watching. It is definitely engaging and you do care about--and even come to really admire and like--the main character. There's plenty of action without being mindless. There are thrills and chills. There's also nuance and subtlety. What's frustrating is the writer seems super lazy. It's like he first came up with the plot and the narrative archs---and then imagined all sorts of cool and confounding gauntlets, challenges, hardships, difficulties for the main character to encounter, get snared in, and maybe overcome--and THEN he filled in the details. The reason that matters (to me) is this: as viewers we get to know the main character and understand the way he thinks and reasons, what he does and doesn't tend to do, the ways in which he gets triggered and messed up with PSTD from fighting in Afghanistan---and so we ALSO know that the main character would and would not say or do x, y, and z. Because the writer already decided "Hey wouldn't it be cool if he ended up having to deal with....." he forces the character into situations that we KNOW the character wouldn't have stepped into. The writer brought us around to thinking the guy is cagy, suspicious, extremely smart, and unusually good at what he does (Security) but then makes him do baffling, absolutely moronic things that are totally out of character for him. We're supposed to write it off as: "Oh, I guess his PSTD makes his judgment sometimes go way out of whack" --and it might--but often NOT in the ways the writer makes the character behave. Regardless of that, it is gripping, psychological, and suspenseful without being too angsty or gratuitously violent.

• Nov 27, 2020

Despite only billed as a six part series, Bodyguard is filled with solid, intriguing, and action-packed storytelling. A classic thriller plot with firm acting, great dialogue lines, and top cinematography. Enjoyable, but the ending might not suit everyone | follow us at @uncle.review

• Oct 08, 2020

Halfway through episode two, I realized that I wasn't going to finish watching the entire season. Bodyguard is probably one of the most overrated shows I've ever tuned in to. The acting is entirely wooden, and the writing is extremely lazy and offensive. After watching many top-rate UK series, I'm surprised that this even made it past the pilot. It also made me wonder what sort of actors agree to such sensationalist storylines? Even during a pandemic, I couldn't stomach passively tuning in.