Fleabag: Season 1 Reviews

• Sep 05, 2019

I vacillated between 3 and 3.5 stars. I thought the first two episodes were really funny and good. The show seemed fresh and irreverent (and I love irreverence) and unabashedly low-brow in some of its humor (and I love well-done low-brow humor). The main character, Fleabag, never seemed to take herself too seriously and was refreshingly unpretentious. Unfortunately, as the show went on, I found it less and less funny. I barely cared at all throughout season 2.

• Aug 30, 2019

The show is off-beat and hilarious. It is the most original comedy I have seen in a long time.

• Aug 18, 2019

Wittiest, funniest comedy on TV right now.

Wittiest, funniest comedy on TV right now.

• Aug 17, 2019

LOVE!! Just the best show ever.

LOVE!! Just the best show ever.

• Aug 16, 2019

Genuinely awful, unfunny, blatantly out to shock rubbish. Yet it's a huge hit because, I can only think, it was on the BBC. It's seems like BBC shows are immune from criticism, no matter how bad. Fleabag is essentially a gross out comedy aimed at women. We live in a era where, probably rightly so, gross out comedy aimed at men is widely ridiculed. This is just as bad as a Men Behaving Badly or American Pie or some rubbish like that. Yet because it's a BBC show with a female lead/ creator, it's not only acceptable, but considered a work of art. The dumbing down of society continues - but more worryingly, dumb comedy is now considered genius.

• Aug 15, 2019

CARRY ON! The greatest television show in the history of the earth as we know it!!! Don't worry, you're not too late to the game, and yes 2016 was so three years ago, but that was Season One, and in true British "take our time" fashion, Season Two is this year fresh. Don't have one of those primo amazon accounts? Good for you, pat yourself hardily on the back. That guy's a jerk, and here's how you can screw him: start your free trial, binge both seasons of Fleabag and promptly cancel your membership. Boom! Don't forget to cancel your membership though, this cannot be stressed enough. Please do not write huffy comments if you fail in this three part process. For feks sake people, it's only three steps: start, binge, stop. Basically a one night tv stand (12 episodes is all), except everyone wins. Right, so who or what the hell is Fleabag? Besides the greatest show in the history of the earth as we know it? It is the brain and body child of the extraordinary Phoebe Waller-Bridges. She of the sharp nose and sharper tongue. Right from the get-go the fourth wall is not just broken but smashed to smithereens, as Fleabag winks, smirks, eyebrow arches, and quips at us through every moment, even the naughty, intimate ones. And yes, there are plenty of those. Fleabag deals with her wacky lays, her wacky family, her wacky friend, her wacky self, but all in the grand Brit tradition of furnishing our comedy with healthy doses of misery, despair, trauma, faith, sex and hidden complexity. Even though Fleabag is a torching tornado without filter, it is not just easy to root for her, it is imperative. Her aim is totally true even when she dives head first into tempting minefields, and the perilous, just can't help herself journey is scream along hilarious. Season One one is revelatory funny. Season Two is simply astonishing. A quenching couple of 6-packs that hits the spot. - hipCRANK

• Aug 14, 2019

Really fun show. Phoebe-Waller Bridge is so much fun to follow around. Witty. Funny. Charming. The show's pacing moves well. Subtle British humor is really full-on display here as well. Good concept, Excellent execution.

• Aug 14, 2019

Just watch it. You will know whether or not its for you in the first 5 min.

Just watch it. You will know whether or not its for you in the first 5 min.

• Aug 11, 2019

I made it through one and a half episodes and turned it off. The first time I tried to watch it, I couldn't make it through the first scene because it was traumatizing. A couple of years later, I decided I'd fast-forward through that part since I liked the creator's Killing Eve and have run out of things to watch. But I couldn't get past the feeling of imagining abusive ex-boyfriends blaming me for not being more like Fleabag--whom I can't relate to at all and don't really like. Whereas Villanelle from Eve does make me laugh--it seems like Fleabag is just going for shock value. That yanks me out of the story. I usually tend to think a lot like a movie critic and more often than not, my preferences line up with theirs. Not this time. I can't believe they're unanimous in praise.

• Aug 03, 2019