Marianne: Season 1 Reviews

• Sep 14, 2022

It's refreshing to see a different type of horror. It is a thriller/horror with a twist... kudos to the writers and those who put this series together. I didn't fall asleep!

• Sep 06, 2022

Marianne is the scariest show created on Netflix since The Haunting Anthology (Hill House and Bly Manor.) The amount of jumpscares and tension is just great. Despite, Marianne being a 'witch haunts a small town type of show but in reality, there is so much more to the story than just a 'witch story' Every episode uncovers a small portion of a story. Some episodes are slow, but some episodes are intense. The finale might be kind of a cliff-hanger but if you are looking for a really scary show to watch, Marianne is definitely worth watching. Overall score: 9.5/10

• Jul 24, 2022

Horror at its finest. American Horror what?? One thing I will often credit Netflix for is a cinematography that is almost a surreal quality compared to any other company and movie release that I've ever seen. This show knows how to tap into the unsettling style of fear, rather than cheap jump scares. Even setups you see in other movies, you at first think "I've seen this before", but they still manage to make it even more unsettling than how others typically do it. I often say I don't mind seeing some things done again, as long as it's done well, just like many bands can play one style of music with it feeling great every single time. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of unique things about the show in its horror theme, but I'm just saying that even some of the usual still feels so much more stressful in a complimentary way. It's refreshing! I didn't notice any uncomfortable pushes in the show. It was all about the story, and I love it! Any pushes of a message in a show knocks something to about 0 stars in my book, so I'm glad it this was just a solid horror show. I got to loving the characters and their development. You can feel for them, and maybe relate to some of them. The actors did a wonderful job in their roles. Great job to them. The production team made this show flow smoothly with how the story unfolded. However, ***slight spoiler*** I will say it was less scary after the older lady was no longer under possession. The intimidation wasn't felt as much in the others taking up the part. Yet, there were still plenty of other things that made the tension very uneasy. The ending died down in the tension as the story unfolded and felt more fantasy than fear. I might say it felt a little hurried. I think it's hard to maintain the horror when you get closer to the conclusion and the supernatural forces are more "in your face", and the music tends to saturate a little more. I still give this show a full rating because it still told the story in a way that wasn't negatively impacted. The show had a well balanced recipe of humor and some sadness intertwined with all the disturbing and stressful sense of dread. It felt like watching someone's nightmare sometimes. It's one of the few shows I can't compliment enough. I don't even want to hear anyones lazy talk about the dubbing or the caption. Normally I don't like it either, but you do get used to it and it doesn't matter. And the dubbing is good enough that it felt natural before I hit the second episode. Netflix seems to be top notch in their handling of dubbing as well. It was the first time I've watched something with dubbing turned on, where the words matched the mouths so closely it looked like they were saying it themselves most the time. The emotions in the voices were convincing. For me reading captions in a box mostly takes out the immersion, but I would still get used to that. Stop whining, the world doesn't revolve around your language. Pick your preference and you'll likely enjoy it if you are a fan of quality horror!

• Mar 16, 2022

65/100 actually scary, hard to watch

65/100 actually scary, hard to watch

• Nov 05, 2021

Is this real or are we inside a horror writer`s mind during a first draft? The first two episodes are wonderfully strange: A church funeral shifts between being fully and poorly attended - the writer`s (naked) parents disappear and there is no search. In lesser hands this could have turned silly. Eerie, sly, ghoulish and creepy - everything you want your horror to be. In the Mouth of Madness meets It.

• May 17, 2021

Creepy but fun.The acting is great so is cinematography.And yes those eyes are unforgettable

• May 16, 2021

) This show is amazing and creepiest show ever I've seen. The fucking director stopped after season one. Please make it this series continue.

• Dec 18, 2020

Creepiest show I've ever watched. And I loved it! I need to watch more French Horror because if this is what yall delivering I have been missing out.

• Nov 06, 2020

I really liked this, spooky. Well done. I watched it with french language and english subtitles. I can't guarantee how weird it might be with english dubbing if that is available. I've given up on ever doing dubbing because its not actors, its voice actors usually too often the ones that seem to do cartoon work with voices that don't fit or expressiveness that don't fit or even just the vocalization type or dynamic from an ethnicity standpoint don't fit, so I just always do original language with subtitles and always recommend the same.

• Oct 31, 2020

A fun and frightening journey (mostly frightening), with a fantastic performance by Victoire Du Bois as the haunted Emma Larsimon (who I found magnetically attractive, yet also repellent and obnoxious - a very confusing experience!). Mireille Herbstmeyer's performance as Marianne is mind-blowing and the stuff of nightmares.

• Oct 20, 2020

Intelligent writing, incredible acting, wonderful voice-over, INCREDIBLY terrifying while also managing to be comedic, without coming off as campy. This is the first horror series that I have seen that had organic comedy in which the writers were able to keep each element completely separate so as not to dilute the horror and vice/versa. This has quickly become one of my favorite series of all time and it's a shame that it was canceled after only one season, but that seems to be Netflix's go-to move. Even if a series wins awards, they make sure to cancel it before it has a fighting chance.

• Aug 03, 2020

Esta serie nos ofrece el suspenso y el miedo que tanto nos gustaba de las películas de terror del siglo anterior.

• Aug 02, 2020

Marianne on Netflix is a Blair Witch-esque story. While it has a fantastic plot with fantastic actors, it's not that scary. However if you go in understanding it as a psychological thriller rather than this jump scare-fest the trailers make it seem to be, it's a good watch. I don't blame the show for this, just poor marketing. You don't often see characters in horror have this much depth— and usually in horror shows/movies when the main characters make the wrong decisions, it seems like they are just stupid i.e. when any person falls down a flight of stairs. (seriously what is up with that). In Marianne, because of our deep understanding of the character's advantages and flaws there is a motive behind every decision. You can understand "why she went in there" or "why he did (insert stupid thing.)" I was glad to have watched it. The character Marianne herself was very well done, and watching her character exist within so many people delightful. The show also has beautiful cinematography there are shots that could absolutely be a desktop background— and I mean this in the best way possible. The way they frame the characters as well as some of the more tense scenes is very clever. For example how they set up the shots of water conveys so much meaning that becomes increasingly more clear and haunting as the show goes on. The soundtrack as well— especially the poem— creates even more depth to the experience.

• Jul 14, 2020

Easily in the top 5 best horror series I've ever seen, possibly AT the top--it's that good. As I was getting into this show, I kept thinking "it can't possibly have all this awesomeness in one show, it's basically everything I like!" I texted my best horror compatriot immediately saying "all of my foreign film time is taken up by Marianne on Netflix, it is UH May Zing. Scary as hell. Reminds me a lot of Hill House in terms of production quality, but it's way scarier". 100% must watch if you're a horror fan.

• Jun 06, 2020

I grew up watching horror movies with my family in the 80s/90s. Nothing that comes out nowadays is truly a "scary movie" in comparison; it's too cynical when it comes to the graphics or whatnot. I sit back yawning when I should be on the verge of $h!tt!ng myself...but I wouldn't b/c I'm tough, and big girls don't cry, right?! B***h, please!!! My friends might scream at a fly, but real horror lovers want substance. We crave real artist genius now; not just a catchy writer and pricy (FAKE...once again...FAKE...graphics!). I'll take 80's blood over now. Though, some stuff makes me want to cringe when I see it. I'll tell you what (***ahhhhheeemmmm Netflix****), I caught Marianne on a whim, and binged the whole season. I was SO sold, I got several others on board as well. I've watched the whole season at least 5-6x. It is truly back to the "real". I love(d) every second. I can't believe they cancelled a continuation of the series!!! WE HAVE BEEN WAITING (insert biggest look of disappointment...like your dog when you don't give him that last bite, man!!!!)!!! People are talking about other shows on Netflix that wouldn't scare a fly. This show is the real deal. You guys aced it! As an artist...you guys created a piece that is worth a thousand words...keep at it! I say bring back, Marianne...you won't be sorry. But we might!!! 💀💩 Just saying...pretty please with sugar on top...

• Apr 29, 2020

Atmosperic, scary, great music. One of the best horror tv series!

Atmosperic, scary, great music. One of the best horror tv series!

• Apr 18, 2020

Best horror TV series. Change my mind, I dare you.

Best horror TV series. Change my mind, I dare you.

• Apr 04, 2020

"Marianne" might be one of NetFlix's best horror series (right after "The Haunting Of Hill House" to which it is often compared). Both are about unresolved childhood drama that comes back to haunt you. With just eight 40-ish minute episodes, "Marianne" a super fast watch. Yes, the show is in French. Just turn on the subtitles. It's WELL worth a watch. Everything about "Marianne" clicks. The aerial scenes of the coastal town, the lighthouse and the waves crashing against the shore really add to the atmosphere. The cinematography is great. There are lots of shots of holes-- holes in books, holes in the ground, holes in the wall etc. The mythology is novel and interesting. All of the actors are excellent. Madame Daugeron will scare the pants off of you. Mireille Herbstmeyer's performance is riveting. She is now near the top of my list of favorite horror villains. My only criticism of the series is that we didnt see more of her. Poor Emma. Have you learned nothing from Anne Wilkes in "Misery"? If your number 1 fan wants you to keep writing, you keep writing!

• Mar 29, 2020

Suspenseful, exciting, scary. It is so good I forgot I don't speak French after 20 minutes. Most US shows are full of jump-scares and lack what Marianne offers as a horror. Highly recommended! One of the critics on here stated the show is not on par with The Haunting of Hill House. The latter has no major culminations, it's not as spooky and scary, and the art direction is too sterile to my taste. Marianne has that Stranger Things atmosphere yet it's way more creepy.

• Mar 22, 2020

Great - very atmospheric, scary, interesting plot

Great - very atmospheric, scary, interesting plot

Do you think we mischaracterized a critic's review?