Russian Doll: Season 1 Reviews

• Sep 07, 2020

Loved it. Hope they don't do a second season, it was good as a 1 season story.

Loved it. Hope they don't do a second season, it was good as a 1 season story.

• Sep 05, 2020

There were times when I simply did NOT want to "rewind" again, but the performances were so absolutely top notch I couldn't help but love this show. Standout from Yull Vazquez as a co-star.

• Aug 02, 2020

Russian doll is a very creative and well put together show that takes the idea of the "groundhog day structure" and uses it to create a brilliant work in character development. We watch Nadia and Alan, our protagonists face their demons as well as each other in gripping 20 minute episodes. The ending is unpredictable and yet somehow makes just so much sense. The way the show faces depression, addiction and processing grief is absolutely brilliant. I was worried it would become boring or repetitive at one point seeing how the loop worked, but there was not a moment where I wasnt gripped on what could happen next. While there were alot of dark elements the show maintained almost a light sense of comedy underneath it. From "Harry Nilsson's gotta get up" playing constantly to the battle with the stairs. This show was fantastic, and I would absolutely watch it again. The way the lighting and the shots are framed for each character really says a lot about who they are— for example, Nadia's opening bathroom scene you can see her almost glaring at the camera, challenging it, which if you watched the show makes a lot of sense. While when you first meet Alan he seems zombie esque, just going through the motions afraid of doing anything differently. There are no words spoken when you first meet the characters, but because of the brilliant cinematography as well as the acting you get a sense of just who you are dealing with.

• Jul 26, 2020

It's actually mind-boggling how exceptional this season was considering the plotline is meant to be Nadia repeating the same day over and over again. One of those shows you couldn't think would be that good from initial impression but turns out to be brilliant. Natasha Lyonne is perfect for this role

• Jul 24, 2020

I took a while to get around to this, but it was well worth it. A surreal, comic, existential look at the human condition... subverting the goofy groundhog day aspect to explore grief and self-worth and and appreciation for being. Hilarious at time, to boot. Watch this. (I'll be very interested to see where they go with a second season, since the first was fully self-contained.)

• Jul 20, 2020

It was a fun and thought provoking story with lots of layers and angles to consider.

• Jul 18, 2020

Loved it! When is season 2 coming out?

Loved it! When is season 2 coming out?

• Jul 11, 2020

very enjoyable watch. i was intrigued right off, but then spent a few weeks watching other Netflix offerings, so maybe not really blown away. returned to the fourth episode and finished up in a couple days time. had to really dig to find something small i didn't like; the NY entertainment elite, whether straight, gay, or bi (usually the latter 2) seem to have a fascination with how many layers of clothing they can fit on an actor before they can no longer move.

• Jun 22, 2020

Engaging and fun, Russian doll pays attention to the character development in a specific way, making this an perfect one-day-binge

• Jun 10, 2020

Smart. Well-plotted. Charming. Great performances. Always fresh and intriguing.

Smart. Well-plotted. Charming. Great performances. Always fresh and intriguing.