Russian Doll: Season 1 Reviews

• Sep 22, 2019

Russian Doll is your standard "Groundhog Day" time loop story but with a few good twists.

• Sep 12, 2019

Makes your brain work, funny and profound. Natasha Lyon plays herself and excels

• Sep 10, 2019

Natasha Lyonne came in off of ORANGE and I wasn't sure if she was rehashing the same tough character; Wow, she's a multitalented character-generator who acts her ASS off. Superb sets, an excellent script, crazy-great soundtrack and a short 23 minutes per episode make this too nuts not to binge. Dark, wicked, funny, tragic and engaging; Lyonne delivers to a Harry Nilsson tune that makes us want to stand and applaud the damn tv.

• Sep 02, 2019

Characters draw you in, the plot bends your mind and the ending is satisfying.

Characters draw you in, the plot bends your mind and the ending is satisfying.

• Aug 07, 2019

The start of the show catches your interest. The middle keeps you watching. Then the end leaves you wanting more😩👏

• Jul 31, 2019

One of the greatest shows, period, I've seen in a long time. The metaphysical aspects are intense, and yet not overwrought. In the end, this is the perfect blend of darkly humorous and actually life-affirming. Natasha Lyonne is *perfect* here.

• Jul 23, 2019

What a pleasant surprise! When I first read the synopsis of this show I decided to skip it 'cuz it just sounded like Groundhog Day all over again. Once I saw the critical praise and Emmy nominations I decided to give it a try...and binged the whole thing. An easy binge since the episodes are about 20 minutes and there are only 8 of them. This is a well-written, well-acted, well-produced, smart, darkly funny, philosophical, deeply affecting show. If you've been on the fence about watching this, do not hesitate...watch it NOW!

• Jul 23, 2019

When it begins, I thought it was a dark comedy. It quickly turns into a procedural, with Nadia exploring leads and clues into her predicament. It takes several more turns into the unexpected as key characters arrive. A very enjoyable, unpredictable journey.

• Jul 21, 2019

Sure, the premise was kind of stolen from Groundhog Day, and maybe the script could have been tighter, here and there, but overall Russian Doll offers a very funny and smart view on the relativity of time and it adds some philosophical ideas on life and death. The main character is a foul mouth and a self-destructive woman of 36 that winds up in a loop where she dies over and over again, until she finds some sort of redemption. The search for the way out of this loop is interesting and exciting. It also gives the story a certain drive, as viewers are constantly tempted to draw the wrong conclusions about the reasons why the main character has to go through this seemingly neverending loop of dying and always ending up at the same place and time, again, so she has the chance to do a better job next time. Definitely worth viewing!

• Jul 17, 2019

The Groundhog Day premise does not fully evolve into a satisfaying conclusion, but Natasha Lyonne's outstanding timing keeps the show at an above the surface level.