Supergirl: Season 4 Reviews

• Sep 29, 2020

Loved the first 3 seasons, however, the show is now promoting social justice issues and is the poorer for it. Such a shame this once great series has decided to go down this route :(

• Aug 09, 2020

Just wow this is great

Just wow this is great

• Aug 03, 2020

There are some story elements that don't pay off this year but the new Lex brings a lot to the fun show.

• May 10, 2020

Is this the best show ever? no. do i think this show deserves better attention? yes!! it's a sweet show, not bogged down by the darkness of the DCEU superman blunders. it tackles topical issues, making it accessible to the probably younger audience watching. it's very inclusive, with all types of people. melissa benoist soars in this role, still bringing that perky optimism and heart she has been bringing since episode one season one. don't be so quick to hate on this show, it's truly good storytelling and has a lot of charm and heart

• May 02, 2020

The SUPERGIRL series finally matures in this season, with emotional writing for characters stepping up quite a bit. It also brings more topical issues using the fantastic superhero world. Kara Danvers and her entourage of friends and family plug along dealing with personal and public issues. It's pretty much the days in the life of the Danvers (including extended family) and how they work to keep the world right and safe for everyone. This season is split into three parts. Part I is the pickup after season 3. Part II is after the Lockwood episode. Part III is after the Luthor episode. The villain episodes are excellent and justifiably define the entire season by giving the villains life and depth. To see what they're up to and how they've gotten where they are creates a richer story.

• Apr 09, 2020

I really love the Supergirl TV Show! Seasons 1-3 were the really best show I´ve watched in the last years. But with the comeback of Lex Luther the series really kicked me off. I had Zero fun watching it since then.. Oh and I totally HATE the fact, that Lina hates Kara now. WTF!?

• Mar 03, 2020

Boring and uninspired. Oh and awful special effects.

Boring and uninspired. Oh and awful special effects.

• Feb 16, 2020

I just binge-watched this entire season on Netflix after a long time away from the show, and I don't think I could have liked it more. The writing is so relevant and thoughtful, and these characters have grown so much. The storyline was exhausting at times because it's so close to real world struggles, but isn't that what makes fantasy so special? Get you to think and find new perspectives on reality the bias of your own preconceived ideas? I think they treated the themes of divisiveness, racism and being left behind by the society with great empathy and "hearing from all sides," which is something Kara herself brings up the importance of when talking about the role of journalism. Our real world could definitely learn a few lessons from this.

• Feb 13, 2020

With the usual solid acting from the cast, there's a stronger dialogue that helps tone down the show's cheesy CW nature in its fourth season just a bit. What's more is it's return to form of immediate suspense that quickly reminded me why I was so into this show since the first season. Warner Bros, y'all better bring Supergirl into the DCEU!

• Feb 12, 2020

For a show held in regard to the turbulent quality of the Arrowverse continuity, Supergirl's fourth outing was delightfully well-written and gracefully paced. It has its cranks – which you can expect for an Arrowverse show – but for the most part, this season delivered on many fronts. From the growth of its assorted roster of characters – the true backbone of which is in the beautiful relationship of the Danvers sisters and the delicate dynamic between Kara and Lena Luthor – to its incredibly compelling villains. Ben Lockwood's Agent Liberty was an interesting iteration of the character and his anti-hero efforts in the first half kept my intrigue for what would come in the latter. He was particularly pleasant to watch and Sam Witwer brought him to the screens with finesse. Manchester Black was truly a gift as a consequence of the plot's events, especially in the fresh characterisation of J'onn J'onzz and his travails to embrace his identity as the Martian Manhunter. It truly reimagined a character who has been woefully undervalued by the show in the past. Lex Luthor, on the other hand, was the highlight of Season Four, being the masterful and commanding intelligent artist he is known to be. Though I would have loved to have seen more of Red Daughter and the Kasnia storyline, Lex is the main villain and his manipulations and actions brought together the season's events in a way only a Luthor can do. Though I was sceptical of Jon Cryer's casting of such an iconic character – and his portrayal was questionable at points – he truly embodied a Lex Luthor we have been wanting to see in live-action. Often, I'm not a fan of using politics in a show just to appear as "woke", not because I don't think it has any place in entertainment media but because, if done poorly, it will depreciate the essence of the show and the integrity of the story (and there have been several TV series which have done this poorly). But while this season has a political undertone, it's done cleverly and it is built up in such a way that shows you how domineering Lex Luthor can be. Likewise, the story wasn't only appropriate, it was meaningful for its characters and we saw those characters grow as a consequence. We get to see Kara Danvers shine not only donning the cape of Supergirl but flexing her muscles as a member of the fourth estate. We get to see the brilliance of Lena Luthor in her solitude and insecurities, alongside her struggles to incorporate that with her developing trust in other people. And newcomer Nia Nal is a welcome inclusion to the roster. The way the story progressed this season – and seeing the characters grow with it – really gave the show a personality that its previous seasons have struggled to do. For an Arrowverse show, Supergirl's Season Four is incredible (perhaps even one of the best in the interconnected universe). With my only complaints being the lapse in dialogue and the lack of quality visual effects – especially for its VFX-heavy season finale – I can truly say the story is enough to keep you entertained.