The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance: Season 1 Reviews

• 4d ago

With it's beautiful; score, excellent use of puppets and CGI, as well as a commited cast of characters and actors. Age of Resistance gives us the greatest fantasy show we've seen in years

• Feb 11, 2020

It is a bit hard to actually write it out but here I go: This series is probably better than the original film! Mostly everything is the same in terms of look and the world we are transported into. But everything is just slightly better, not because of CGI, but because everything about the series is taken one step further than the film and no further. We get a bit more backstory, we get slightly smoother and more refined puppets, we get more beautiful shots of Thra, we get a slightly more complicated and engaging story, we get slightly better voice work and we get more character work. It all just adds up to being a better product than The Dark Crystal, but totally respecting the film and it's legacy and giving us more without going over the top, which is so easy to expect today from Hollywood. I could rewatch the whole season again instantly just for the beautiful landscapes, the characters Deet, Hup and Chamberlain, for the Skeksis internal intrigues and for that slightly more sense of a well developed universe the series give.

• Jan 26, 2020

I've been a fan of the original Dark Crystal since it came out and have watched it regularly for 30+ years! I'm always nervous about any remake and prequels as most just are not that good... BUT WOW DID THEY DO THIS RIGHT!!! This is just plain an amazing production. I LOVE PUPPETS, and these are probably the best ever put together! Truly magical in every sense! It only takes about 2 minutes before you get totally lost in the movie and forget you are watching puppets. I truly hope they do the 2nd season and can keep up the quality of the production (it has to be beyond expensive to make these!) Bottom line: if you love fantasy, and love puppets, they this is a MUST SEE!

• Jan 18, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this. I enjoyed the original movie as a kid and had watched it many times, but being so long ago I had forgotten many of the details. When I watched the last episode of Age of Resistance, I decided to rewatch the original movie. I was amazed by how seamless of a transition it was. Age of Resistance is a fully fleshed out backstory, full of mystery and lore, that does not break the original canon. I thought to myself, 'now THIS is how a reboot should be done!' I can see that there's more story to tell. I hope they keep telling it! I hope for another season!

• Jan 13, 2020

So faithful to the original movie. No idea why Netflix haven't confirmed a second season yet but I will be extremely disappointed if they don't. It's one of their best shows.

• Jan 11, 2020

A masterclass in fantasy world-building that creates and compels to justify its darkness, this is a rare prequel that does the job right by not only dazzling the living daylights out of viewers with its production values, but also leaving us wanting more!

• Jan 07, 2020

This show demands respect and captivates the audience, unlike many other series. I love the modern use of puppetry and the sheer amount of lore. Yet, I believe the series goes off the rails in some scenes. Such as the odd urination moment. Other than this, it is a beautiful work of cinematography.

• Jan 01, 2020

A true masterpiece where old meets new. One of the best fantasy series ever.

A true masterpiece where old meets new. One of the best fantasy series ever.

• Dec 31, 2019

Of you love a story with a good villain then this is a must see series for you. You'll soon forget that you are watching puppets.

• Dec 31, 2019

I'm stunned by how much I love this show. I adored the movie into obsession as a kid, but as I got older it was hard to deny its flaws - its protagonist was boring, the story painfully simple, many puppets unemotive and dated. Only the Skeksis seemed untouched by time, but even there most of their character existed only in false memories rather than the actual filmed material. This show does something unusual. It managed to recreate the Dark Crystal I loved as a child instead of the one that actually existed. It expands on the characters to make them the characters I remember, it increases the scope of the world to create the wonder I had, it does its best with the gelfling puppets and nearly takes them out of the uncanny valley (ultimately failing with all but Deet, sadly) but the Skeksis, the Skeksis are better than ever. The story is really the killer upgrade, though - though at first it may seem as simplistic and black and white as the original, soon it becomes clear that it's a political fable about how difficult it truly is to mount a rebellion, and why so many good people let bad things happen. Fantasy has always been my favourite genre since I was a kid, but lately there's not been anything in the wider pop culture of the screen that captured why I adored it so. This does. This is as impressive and singular as Jackson's LOTR. This is the Dark Crystal as Henson intended it. I hope we see much, much more like it.