The Morning Show: Season 1 Reviews

• 22h ago

I enter into this show expecting it to be strongly presented through the lens of the female gaze. I thought it would be a heavy-handed preachy affirmation of the evils of the me too movement. What I found was a sincere honest look at sexuality, power dynamics, and moral complacency. Steve gives a dynamic performance that Humanizes a character that could easily have been demonized. Lifetime would have made that choice. You see him struggle to delineate the difference between him and others, defining his own moral compass. The show manages to be thought provoking and entertaining. Incredibly well done.

• 5d ago

Great endings are seriously underrated when they are this GREAT. Well done.

Great endings are seriously underrated when they are this GREAT. Well done.

• May 29, 2020

Captivating! I think the characters are well drawn and complicated. The characters seem to truly be a culmination of their environment, nurture and nature. Watching them learn and grow, make important decisions and decide what matters is a joy. It's not often I truly enjoy watching characters I don't like very much. And then cheering when they learn a lesson or get what's coming to them. Thank you for complicated TV. I can't do ridiculous any longer.

• May 28, 2020

Fresh and interesting. Some Jennifer's best work.

Fresh and interesting. Some Jennifer's best work.

• May 24, 2020

"... started watching The Morning Show. Quite enjoyable in a high-end soap way. And Steve Carell is very good as the news anchor caught up in a Me Too scandal." That's how I described the show to a pal after two episodes. I then watched another four: and that's when I got really hooked. It would have been so easy to make a "Harvey Weinstein" / all sexual predators are evil bastards type of series, but this is where The Morning Show is clever. It lulls you into a sense of you know where it might be going, then it pulls the rug from beneath your presumptions and surprises you. You might not have much sympathy for the characters, you might not be rooting for anyone, but that's the point: you're not supposed to know who to like, or who to trust. Rather like in a lot of workplaces - and especially so the higher the stakes. And those "soap opera" moments often end up not quite being what they've been lined up to be. By the episode 10 finale, I was on the edge of my seat. I had no clue where it could be going. I wasn't disappointed. And that is the mark of a good drama. If you like your characters to be clear-cut goodies and baddies, this isn't for you. But if you want to see characters who are largely winging it through life as most of us do, laden with faults, and wrestling with the shades of grey resulting from the accusations made post-Weinstein, then this is definitely worth the watch. Oh, and Steve Carell plays his role to perfection.

• May 23, 2020

Loved this show. Although it took a little while for me to warm up to the primary characters, I was totally hooked from episode 2 onwards. Their handling of #MeToo was genius and eye opening. Definitely worth binge-watching.

• May 18, 2020

Eye-opener to a much needed conversation. Examines the Me too movement from every possible angle. Great cast, with Aniston and Whitherspoon at the top of their game.

• May 11, 2020

Addictive. Best series that Apple has made. Can hardly wait for Season 2

Addictive. Best series that Apple has made. Can hardly wait for Season 2

• May 07, 2020

yes, life is as hard as it shows and yes, people do stab others in the back. it's all true. very well played. very inspiring series, highly recommended.

• May 06, 2020

What a egotistical, preachy series. I kept waiting for the punchline as it is so dramatically over-acted I swore I was watching a comedy. Unfortunately it's just a bunch of self-absorbed actors playing self-absorbed "journalists".