The Spy: Limited Series Reviews

• Jun 14, 2020

Beautiful styling - a beautiful glimpse into 1960s Damascus. Exaggerated cinematography eg occasional B&W or sepier filters with rare visits of dashing color. Authentic feel to the script. Fascinating narrative.

• May 22, 2020

it's pretty good, especially during this "Stay At Home" time in our lives. there were just too many instances that i thought were more like a good TV show rather than a real good movie. know what i mean? Recommend.

• Mar 15, 2020

a bit of propaganda and a bit of misleading information.. but this is a film, series, not a documentary. So I respect the choice here. About film, I should begin with the magnificent play of "Eli Cohen". Well acted! Really well! I didn`t know the story of Eli Cohen, and didn`t read about the film, history, Syrian-Israel relationship during 60s. So, I didn`t research about the film and started to watch because I had time due to unexpected holiday by corona-virus. I had watched and till the second episodes I didn`t film that it was gonna into fantastic drama&thriller. Yeaah, and as well as cinematography, storytelling was done smoothly. at the end, I couldn`t pass the fact that every episodes of being 1 hour film was also really suitable for me to watch. You can't go wrong with this one and it is definitely a story that deserves to be heard.

• Mar 07, 2020

great depiction of real life spies and great acting by sascha bc

great depiction of real life spies and great acting by sascha bc

• Feb 09, 2020

Melodrama with terrible acting. The story is pure propagandistic pap. I regret wasting time on it.

• Jan 24, 2020

Top notch! Sacha Baron is just excellent!

Top notch! Sacha Baron is just excellent!

• Jan 15, 2020

This show will keep you on the edge of your seat, especially the finale. Sacha Baron Cohen's performance was incredibly good, and the supporting cast was well chosen. Because it's based on a true story, you get easily attached to the characters and feel their pain. If you're a fan of Homeland, this show won't disappoint.

• Jan 13, 2020

Sacha Baron Cohen provides a fantastic performance making The Spy a fascinating and gripping drama, and shows that his range extends well beyond his famous comic roles. "Respect", as Ali G might say. The series is beautifully and stylistically shot (although the faded heat of Israel might be a little too much) with an interesting take on 1960s Middle East and spycraft. Altogether, a superb series which most people would enjoy.

• Jan 06, 2020

This series had the potential to be quite fascinating, but too many times logic was missing from the behavior of the characters. It felt like a twist happened out of the blue even when looking backwards, did not make sense. The last episode was actually the most compelling.. Certainly not nearly as good as Homeland which was done by the same people.

• Jan 03, 2020

A phenomenal, thrilling, and sometimes difficult to watch series. If this were a fictional Hollywood production, I would say that the writing was great. Given the fact that this was based on a true story, it makes every single scene so much more powerful. Sacha Cohen, playing Eli Cohen, with a mind-blowing performance, carried the show in a way I could have never expected or predicted. All the supporting cast did a great job, but my hat goes off to Borat. The recreation of both Israel and Syria in the 1960s, and the color contrasts between different scenes made the show beautiful as well. Most of Kamel's rich scenes in Syria had vibrant colours and fun parties, making you forget that it was all an act. The last episode was entirely black & wide, foreshadowing the already obvious outcome that Eli's time has come to an end. Everything about the way the film was shot was amazing. As a short 6 episode limited series, there is no reason not to watch this!