Please Give - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Please Give Reviews

December 4, 2016
I really liked Kate. She came across so real to me. And I like the way her and Alex behaved in their relationship, especially when certain things happened which didn't necessarily get revealed to all involved. Everyone is leading their own individual lives, and yet their are interwoven in each others. I also almost always love a movie set in NYC!
April 3, 2016
Surprised and delighted.
November 4, 2015
For me Please Give was just like all other movies written and directed by Nicole Holofcener. Nothing special.
I appreciated the movie's unpredictability and how true to life it really is when it comes to all the emotions that were expressed in it. But for me there was never really a hook, there was never anything that made me want to stay there until the end. Something that made me want to see what would happen next. This made me lose focus sometimes and made me focus on other things than the actual movie.
In the end it just wasn't very memorable and it left me as soon as I'd finished watching it.
June 24, 2015
Nicole Holofcener is a brilliant writer/director. Her comedies are so witty! Please Give is a wonderful addition to her collection of movies about real people living in real times. Catherine Keener is superb.
½ May 24, 2015
Nicole Holofcener often seems to be picking up a ball that Woody Allen dropped a long time ago. Please Give has the smart observations of overly educated and somewhat wealthy people neurotically trying to either apologize or validate their place in the culture and society. While this movie has some very funny moments, it is filled with an astute observations relating to cultural guilt and a sort of ethical ennui that is all too real. This film works on all levels.
March 29, 2015
A good drama comedy about a woman dealing with the moral issues of today. Kate is a complex character struggling to live well and be a good person and raise her child not to be materialistic, when poverty, homelessness and sadness are right outside her door.
½ July 12, 2014
A vivid, character driven story filled with laughs and heartache, and supported by a perfect cast. The preview is forgettable but the film is not; a diamond in the rough -- see it if you can find it.
½ July 1, 2014
I feel like invoicing the director of this one for a slice of my life, that I desperately want back.
½ June 22, 2014
Slightly darker than her previous films with the haunting spectre of death and unsettling hints at mental illness. However as usual with Holofcener she never lets it collapse into despair and bleakness with her trademark wit and black comedy chops.
June 19, 2014
disinteresting, dull, and didnt hit any chords that i would say were funny or at least bring a chuckle. story doesnt go anywhere like the main character in Life of Pi just floats and still, excepting us to go along with the wanna-be Woody Allen vibe but theres one thing missing.... Woody Allen didn't do or never would have done this film in his life. Characters don't make you care but make you roll your eyes at their unwillingness to change.

D+ is my final grade annd thats my charity right there
½ March 27, 2014
More like a TV series than a movie, but it is so well-acted. So even though the characters in this movie are somehow more like a bunch of uninteresting people with their "fake" problems, I found the feeling guilty issue is actually quite interesting, subtly contemplative.
½ March 14, 2014
Lovely in every way! Wow!
March 10, 2014
In which Catherine Keener plays an self centered manipulative person with a giant fake smile and entitlement issues. As usual
February 17, 2014
Rich character study, revolving around death, consumerism and altruism... Kind of like a more feminine centric Neil LaBute film.
December 6, 2013
Though touching and occasionally thoughtful with captivating performances by the two female leads (Keener and Hall), the bleak and biting comedy (though effective), as well as dark themes, might cause some viewers to take a step back. If you like dark comedies though, it's worth a go, just don't go into it expecting to be cheered up.
November 23, 2013
Melancholia and joy go hand in hand in this wonderful, superlatively written and performed film. Humanistic and warm, it's another gem from Nicole Holofcener.
½ November 17, 2013
Not bad, not great. There isn't enough message for the meandering style, but it's kind of weird in a good way.
½ November 12, 2013
Dark comedy deals with death, family relationships and people's faults. Sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes touching.
November 5, 2013
A New York attempt at making a French movie, whereby the central question seems to be "What are the middle classes up to today?" The theme of the movie gets thoroughly lost during proceedings and the only result of the trip the main characters take is getting rid of their guilt over living well. Good roles of both Peet and Hall by the way.