The Happening - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Happening Reviews

November 30, 2017
I am a fan of his movies and I am gonna give him Lady in the Water and check this out.
½ October 29, 2017
Terrible m night shaylan movie.
½ October 25, 2017
A colossal misunderstanding of the power of filmmaking destroys the many great ideas (and there are great ideas) present in the film. Horrible directing and acting combine in the most unsightly of ways, but at least things happen in this one as opposed to Lady in the Water.
½ October 4, 2017
I really don't know how to feel about this...my rating my change over time, but my initial reaction is that it's not one of MNS' best movies. It's hard to explain the issues I have with it without giving too much away, but I'll just say that I thought that the source of the problem is just a little "too easy" -- and KINDA cliche. Overall, the movie has that traditional MNS tension (as a former Philadelphian it was interesting that they had to say things like "TOWN OF Princeton" and "Rittenhouse Square PARK"), but some of the acting in the film left a lot to be desired, and kinda took me out of the situation a bit .... I actually watched this again for some reason and it didn't get any better. Just like before, the premise of the movie is compelling, and creates for some real tension, but the acting and the way the movie plays out (slowly) is just not very satisfying. It reminds me vaughly of War of the Worlds and how the build up is great and really interesting, but the finale is a huge dud.
½ September 8, 2017
A potentially fascinating plot thrown away by stupid dialogue and bad acting (particularly by Wahlberg).
½ August 26, 2017
This is one of those unintentionally hilariously films that misfires in every way. The acting is remarkably bad, and some of the dialogue has to be heard to be believed.
½ August 25, 2017
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. It takes itself too seriously to even fall into "so bad it's good" territory.
½ August 6, 2017
The Happening? More like The Nothing. Though it has an idea with a potential of becoming a good film, it fails because of its hilarious delivery that makes the film so bad that it's good. Bring your friends, grab some drinks, and have fun watching it!
August 2, 2017
The first 5-10 minutes of "The Happening" are tremendous. It's all downhill from there, bottoming out at its laughable conclusion.
½ August 1, 2017
M. Night has lost it. And that acting was TERRIBLE!
½ July 31, 2017
Really? Fucking plants?
½ July 13, 2017
Though I don't think it's as horrible as everybody says, it's still a laughably cheesy and bad-acted movie that's good for a MST3K type viewing with friends.
½ July 7, 2017
This movie was terrible. A few good acting talents in the film but they sure didn't seem like it in this. An unidentified threat constantly chasing a group left the movie with awkward pacing. Then left with an anticlimactic climax. M. Night is a terrible director. I never thought I'd say that about the same guy that did Unbreakable and the Sixth Sense.
½ July 5, 2017
unfortunately zero stars was unavailable.
July 4, 2017
The Happening is an unintentionally made comedy full of LOL moments and senseless dialogue, which is so bad it's so good to the guts.
½ June 20, 2017
The most ironically titled movie in history.
½ June 15, 2017
If Shyamalan was making a spoof of horror movies, this would be a classic. Unfortunately, instead of making a film to reinvent the horror genre, he made a movie that the makers of Disaster Movie could really follow as to how to spoof a genre: get a terrible premise, and horrible dialogue.
½ June 14, 2017
Wow, this movie would make me agree with Jason about Wahlberg's acting, if everyone else in the movie wasn't just as bad if not worse. The writing was horrible. It's like it was meant for a high school play.
June 9, 2017
One of the worst movie ive seen these past 3 years... Waste of time...
April 21, 2017
M. Night Shyamalana-ding-dong's magnum opus.