Momma's Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Momma's Man Reviews

½ July 22, 2013
I walked out of this movie, in front of cast and crew at Sundance, which was less embarrassing than everything I had to do in front of them to keep my eyes open. Perhaps a true cinema connoisseur may find appeal in this but people who want to be entertained, or even mildly intrigued, will just find themselves thinking "the protagonist is an idiot and this movie feels like it's been playing for six hours."
½ January 22, 2013
This indie film is very subtle and slow. The slow pacing is due to the narrative focusing on stasis rather than action, focusing on Mikey's re-adolescence making this somewhat of a re-coming of age film in a way. The cinematography is really interesting, telling the emotional story through imagery and editing techniques, complimented with sparse dialogue. Overall it is a quiet, quirky film that is at times cold and at others poignant. The main character Mikey oscillates between being pathetic and sympathetic. Much like other indie films and European cinema this film plays on emotional ambiguity, failing to explicitly explore character motives and drives and instead uses the medium to imply rather than state, and thus is more authentic, if somewhat unsatisfying.
June 12, 2012
Flawed, slow-moving, but evocative character study with a very, very good ending.
½ April 4, 2011
This movie was really tough. It was subdued, uncomfortable, understated, and nearly impossible to watch but in a good way. I recommend it, but watch it when you can fully invest in watching it.
July 22, 2010
A quirky premise, a grown man who can't leave his parent's home after a visit, morphs into a psychological study. Interesting and genuine, though a bit slow.
½ March 24, 2010
I didnt start getting into this film until after I found out why the guy was really staying with his parents & then.......Wow
½ March 18, 2010
a little too slow and painful for my tastes but an interesting, thoughtful and well-made film.
January 31, 2010
I found this boring and very long. The mother was very annoying, the friend was pretty dumb. I understand the need for a break but this was pushing it a bit.
January 6, 2010
Man goes on business trip to New York, stays at parents, stays a bit more, finds High School stuff, stays even longer, wife & kid worried.
It's well acted & depicts a man having a breakdown well but at the end you just think "What was the point of all that?"
A nice idea but ultimately quite dull to watch.
December 7, 2009
As drama, "Momma's Man" is necessarily circumscribed - Mikey's a passive protagonist who appears in places clinically unable to move forward - but the observations this stasis allows Jacobs to make about our need for familiar comforts are (more often than not painfully) truthful and funny. The film, not to mention its slobby hero's well-fed gut, ultimately seems like a fair corrective to the pamperings of Matthew McConaughey's stay-at-home son in "Failure to Launch".
½ November 29, 2009
Small US oddity as a 30something struggles to break the apron strings. Very slow at times, but quite compelling as a man regresses to his childhood; and the fantastic 1960s NY loft is an area of confusion and agorphobia.
November 27, 2009
A little bit tough to parse out what is causing the changes happening on screen, but it is still involving.
½ November 16, 2009
A generally well executed film that depicts a man's struggle in accepting the responsibilities of adulthood and parenthood, which will resonate with many Gen Ys and "Digital Natives". A valiant attempt for Jacobs to attempt "show don't tell". The film edges on mundane several times however, and combined with the slow pacing, makes one wonder why one should spend an hour and a half just to view a man go through his quarter-life crisis through an electron microscope.
November 10, 2009
When a film is powerfull enough to make you identify with the main character, to feel as though you've walked in his shoes, as though you are looking at yourself on screen, it has accomplished what it had set out to achieve.
August 15, 2009
This film was way too slow paced for me. There was nothing interesting about it the main character pretty much just floats through the film him nor any of the other supporting character's are ever really defined or given any real characterization. I thought this was fairly disappointing film.
August 6, 2009
What a depressing movie. I kind of sympathized with the main character caught in between his adulthood and childhood worlds but come on already!!! If he was right next to him, I would have slapped him to wake up and face his responsibilities as a head of a household.
½ July 31, 2009
Ye gods...what did people see to like in this film? I found it to be a complete and utter bore, lending "banality" new credence. Don't waste your time!
July 27, 2009
½ July 19, 2009
A slow and subtle movie that tempts you to think that there is much more going on beneath the surface, but I don't really think there is. It is a good indie film in that it gets you to think and be a more active participant, but the focus of the story is too shallow to be compelling.