Momma's Man Reviews

• Jul 22, 2013

I walked out of this movie, in front of cast and crew at Sundance, which was less embarrassing than everything I had to do in front of them to keep my eyes open. Perhaps a true cinema connoisseur may find appeal in this but people who want to be entertained, or even mildly intrigued, will just find themselves thinking "the protagonist is an idiot and this movie feels like it's been playing for six hours."

• Jan 22, 2013

This indie film is very subtle and slow. The slow pacing is due to the narrative focusing on stasis rather than action, focusing on Mikey's re-adolescence making this somewhat of a re-coming of age film in a way. The cinematography is really interesting, telling the emotional story through imagery and editing techniques, complimented with sparse dialogue. Overall it is a quiet, quirky film that is at times cold and at others poignant. The main character Mikey oscillates between being pathetic and sympathetic. Much like other indie films and European cinema this film plays on emotional ambiguity, failing to explicitly explore character motives and drives and instead uses the medium to imply rather than state, and thus is more authentic, if somewhat unsatisfying.

• Jun 12, 2012

Flawed, slow-moving, but evocative character study with a very, very good ending.

• Apr 04, 2011

This movie was really tough. It was subdued, uncomfortable, understated, and nearly impossible to watch but in a good way. I recommend it, but watch it when you can fully invest in watching it.

• Jul 22, 2010

A quirky premise, a grown man who can't leave his parent's home after a visit, morphs into a psychological study. Interesting and genuine, though a bit slow.

• Mar 18, 2010

a little too slow and painful for my tastes but an interesting, thoughtful and well-made film.

• Brody M Super Reviewer
    Feb 19, 2010

I didnt start getting into this film until after I found out why the guy was really staying with his parents & then.......Wow

• Jan 31, 2010

I found this boring and very long. The mother was very annoying, the friend was pretty dumb. I understand the need for a break but this was pushing it a bit.

• Jan 06, 2010

Man goes on business trip to New York, stays at parents, stays a bit more, finds High School stuff, stays even longer, wife & kid worried. It's well acted & depicts a man having a breakdown well but at the end you just think "What was the point of all that?" A nice idea but ultimately quite dull to watch.

• Dec 07, 2009

As drama, "Momma's Man" is necessarily circumscribed - Mikey's a passive protagonist who appears in places clinically unable to move forward - but the observations this stasis allows Jacobs to make about our need for familiar comforts are (more often than not painfully) truthful and funny. The film, not to mention its slobby hero's well-fed gut, ultimately seems like a fair corrective to the pamperings of Matthew McConaughey's stay-at-home son in "Failure to Launch".