The Promotion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Promotion Reviews

½ November 18, 2016
Overwhelmingly tame.
February 21, 2015
Deux assistants-gérants d'une épicerie convoitent un nouveau poste de gérant. Personnellement, je n'aurais engagé aucun des deux, tellement ils manquaient de leadership, d'initiative et de rigueur.
January 14, 2015
Seann William Scott is a...genius? Maybe best known for Stifler in American Pie, Scott is the driving force behind two of my favorite indie movies...Goon and Balls Out: Gary the tennis coach. He brings the same awkwardness to this role as an assistant grocery store manager that he brought to those roles, but overall the movie is just an average comedy.

I had not even heard of this so I was shocked that it was 2008. It was on tv the other day so I recorded it for when I was bored. I actually stayed up way later than expected to finish it, which could be a testament that it's at least interesting if not entertaining. I credit most of that to Scott's odd store manager character. He's just fun to watch and I actually wanted to see how things turned out for him. And for such an oddball comedy of sorts, it's quite a cast. Jenna Fischer is his lovely wife. O'Reilly plays opposite Scott. Fred Armisen is in there, as is Bobby Cannavale. And the guy playing the big shot is actually a good cast as well.

Anyway, I watched on Comedy Central so I missed out on a lot of the profanity. Oddly enough, maybe that helped the movie. Instead of being just another lazy, potty-mouthed comedy, I saw the characters. And I thought they were pretty decent and carried the movie to an average status.
September 13, 2014
This was an incredibly surprisingly good film - I say incredibly surprisingly, because there is a typical trope in american comedies - two guys competing for a role/job/something, escalation and friendly rivlary turns into fierce chaos.
This was not that kind of film, and that's what's wonderful about it - it's more inspired by "the pursuit of happyness" than other comedy films of it's ilk. In fact, it's not really correct to call it a comedy - but not drama either.
Instead, you get a nice snippet of two guy's lives, both of whom are essentially nice, have some conflict but ultimately are equally good people, and more or less stay that way. It was a pleasant surprise, and slightly heartfelt.
August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
August 6, 2014
Nice it didn't want to play low. It however looks rather mild & cold everywhere at the same time.
August 1, 2014
Dry and often awkward comedy, and no clear protagonist. But in a good way! Better than I expected.
½ July 30, 2014
Offered up very little.
½ July 28, 2014
It was ok, pretty slow, a bit dull, but some laughs
May 7, 2014
Highly underrated. Especially if you have ever worked in a supermarket.
March 16, 2014
Not amazing but the message in the end was good.
½ February 13, 2014
There's no laughs in The Promotion but there are a lot of heartfelt moments that made it feel better than the average slow corporate movie.
½ January 20, 2014
watched on January 20th, 2014. It was better then I expected, but still kinda shitty.
January 20, 2014
Not overly funny, and strange characters fall flat.
½ December 25, 2013
Disappointed to hell!
½ December 18, 2013
An underrated comedy that features funny performances, especially from Seann William Scott.
November 9, 2013
:/ I found nothing in this movie funny,despite the cast.
October 5, 2013
One of the worst comedys ever.. not a funny peace in it.
September 28, 2013