Fame - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fame Reviews

September 7, 2017
Admittedly I've not seen the original Fame movie yet but this was on Netflix so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm a sucker for musicals, high school/college dramas and talent competitions so this should have been a winning movie for me. Unfortunately the editing was a complete mess, jumping too quickly from year to the next to get me to care about any of the characters. Some of the performers were very, very good but the singing star of the show couldn't actually sing that well and I found myself cringing every time she started warbling.
September 7, 2017
October 2, 2016
Despite the negative response this film got, I still loved it! Not only was there a lot of exceptional talent among the actors & great music, there was also some impressive cinematography, camerawork, & editing!
½ June 19, 2016
A community of gifted students in the school of Juliard, surcome to the pressures of making it big early in their life, but set backs of the dark side to fame they must face before they move forward. When making it big, you rely on those to get you their, and your friends and family.
June 9, 2016
At the beginning I thought I would love this film because it's about PA in a place full of creative. But in all honesty, I hate this film. I almost want to give up on this film halfway through. The cinematography is confusing at times, the dialogues are too dull and often pointless in my opinion. There are way too many characters and zooming through the 4 years is not enough time to thoroughly develop any of the characters. The characters are just not reaching me as a viewer.
½ June 6, 2016
Autotune! Seriously!
½ February 28, 2016
THIS FAME WON'T LIVE FOREVER

Vibrancy, individuality, energy, experience, naivety, and courage was the dreamy subtexts of Alan Parker's original 1980's R-rated musical "fame". Tracing the path of a contrasting group of performing arts students attempting to not only make grades, but make art.

"If they've really got what it takes, it's going to take all they've got."
The Oscar winning score coupled with exciting choreography, tight editing and talented cast made it a joyous and upbeat experience. However, Kevin Tancharoen's three decade later squeaky clean PG re-imaging née dumbing-down of the same name has a noticeable hollowness and High School Musical over-manufactured style blandness.

The emotional impact of the iconic film, stage and screen franchise seems lost in generational translation. With the reality TV song and dance extravaganza finally reaching the end of its prime, this movie has all classic Hollywood tell tale signs of cashing in on clichés and stereo types whilst riding the nostalgia wave.

Embracing the same format as the original, Fame follows a talented group of dancers, singers, actors and musicians through their four year journey at the prestigious New York City High School of Performing Arts.

Opening on Audition day, 10,000 wannabe students from all walks of life vie for acceptance in one of the 200 places in hopes of meeting that one ultimate goal: Fame.

After being dwindled down the chosen few, the newcomers are told: "Fame costs, and right here is where you start paying ... in sweat." So begins their journey.

The dozen or so lackluster characters consist completely of relatable stereotypes struggling through half a dozen contrived and predictable predicaments.

Will the good girl classical pianist Denise (Naturi Naughton) defy her authoritarian parents to embrace her overwhelming singing talent? Can the troubled Malik (Collins Pennie) overcome his childhood angst to accept and welcome his abilities? Will the questionably gay Kevin (Paul McGill) stand up for his dreams and challenge his harsh critics or return to the family farm in Iowa? Can overzealous Victor (Walter Perez) and cutesy Joy (Anna Maria Perez de Tagle) survive their full four years at PA?

And the $64,000 Question, Will naïve lead Jenny (Kay Panabaker) and the handsome and talented Marco (Asher Book) engage in more than a standard, will they-won't they plot?

As you can see, 2009's by-the-numbers Fame is a definite no-brainer. The scattered interweaving of no surprise storylines and limited character development leaves viewers with almost no character empathy.

The score although strong, with recognizable and re-mastered reprisals of the 1981's Oscar winning (Fame) and nominated (Out Here on My Own) original tracks, noticeably lacks newly infused grunt with the absence of any outstanding additions.

The major stand-out positive in this production is the dancing. Due largely to teaming of Director Tancharoen's choreographic resume and ex So You Think You Think You Can Dance contestant Kherington Payne.

The Baz Luhrmann style dance sequences are magical and a true pleasure to watch, (even if limited) and paying homage by invoking the original's Rocky Horror Picture Show sequence by having one student audition with Little Nell's defiant speech was a nice touch.

The Verdict: Simply put, it's a shame about fame. The modern desecration of another of Generation X's most sacred. My recommendation: Anyone who is dated enough to remember the original, don't taint it, this one wasn't made for us.

Published : The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication : 09/10/2009
January 27, 2016
I wasn't a huge fan of the original film but I did enjoy the TV series that came after. This remake of the film is hugely pointless because it adds nothing to the original. It does have good scenes though but unfortunately they always seem to be undone by what happens next. The second half of the film seems so half-hearted and the grand finale is far from grand. The casting of Charles S. Dutton , Kelsey Grammer , Megan Mullally and Bebe Neuwirth was interesting and was one of the reasons I watched but ultimately they were wasted. If you loved the original you might like it though, for me it was nothing new.
½ January 16, 2016
½ October 28, 2015
An underrated remake of a great film with new characters dealing with personal conflicts and following their dream to become a famous star, and while the first hour is engaging, I am glad that the film doesn't get ruined by that lame Broadway-like ending.
July 29, 2015
Fame!!!! I want to f*** forever!!!
June 25, 2015
SPECTACULAR REMAKE!!!!!!!
½ March 5, 2015
Better than the original though not by much.
½ January 18, 2015
Cliched, saccharine, passionless, stupid, fake, even emotionless -
flash and glitz w absolutely
NO substance.
Why, just why...

I bought it thinking that maybe it will have a decent dance sequence - nope.

Go on YouTube and watch any episode of SYTYCD, Any season. You will find all the things that are missing from this film:
heart, passion, dancing, intelligence, whimsy, comraderie, more passion, harsh reality tempered by thoughtfulness wisdom and kindness - it has everything this movie wants to be, and you can save the rental fee.

Dont bother with this stinkbomb.
January 12, 2015
I liked the original, but I think I'll pass.
January 12, 2015
I liked the original, but I think I'll pass.
October 10, 2014
Good musical with great voices, but with a boring story and screenplay was all of the time the same thing, nothing new on this genre.
September 17, 2014
Really really wanna see this!
August 17, 2014