Charade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charade Reviews

½ April 25, 2017
Very funny and smart movie with handsome leads. It's very entertaining and has quite a few thrilling and amusing plot twists. Audrey Hepburn is as always charming and her performance is just what you expect of her. Cary Grant is solid and assuring as her protector and all the other shady characters he embodies. Pure entertainment, beyond all expectations.
½ March 10, 2017
Slick, writer-friendly spy thriller/comedy that occasionally feels a bit too middlebrow in it's slickness - also the film is based on a mounting series of clues, mysteries and crime suspects without a relatable story in sight, ie: purely filmic type of mystery with a famous cast. Today, the intelligence and occasional self-consiousness of it seems entertaining still, but it's certainly not Vertigo or something of that calibre. Some will watch the film just for overly thin Hepburn and her chic hats, coats, gloves etc. Cool Henry Mancini soundtrack also.
December 12, 2016
Fun, thrilling, suspenseful. Stuff they don't make anymore...
December 3, 2016
A must-see classic thriller that runs like a Hitchcock film. What a cast! In title only remake of a 1953 film and remade as The Truth About Charlie (2002). Part of The Criterion Collection and on Blu-ray.
September 27, 2016
Classic movie. Grant and Hepburn do some super performances with twists and turns in plot. Well done.
September 12, 2016
ANY MOVIE I HAVE SEEN WITH AUDREY HEPBURN WAS A CLASS A PERFORMANCE.
September 10, 2016
An absolute classic! A must see!
August 31, 2016
Overrated. Silly. Naive. But, must to watch and have an own opinion about it.
May 18, 2016
"Charade" is truly the best film Alfred Hitchcock never made. I would have enjoyed it much more had Hepburn not given another exaggerated performance.
April 12, 2016
"Charade" is a fun picture from Stanley Donen, a director more well known for his musicals with Gene Kelly. The film is often called the best film that wasn't directed by Hitchcock, and yes, it does seem like a homage to the films of Alfred Hitchcock, complete with Cary Grant. Audrey Hepburn plays Regina Lampert, an American woman musing over leaving her husband. That decision becomes easier when she arrives home to her apartment in Paris to find everything missing and a police investigator there to inform her her husband has been murdered. The police investigator interrogates her about Charles and she admits she knows so little about him.
The funeral service is sparce, only her friend Sylvie (Dominique Minot) and the charming stranger Brian Cruikshank (Cary Grant) attend. Later three mysterious men appear at the funeral shocked to see Charles is dead. After the funeral she is approached by CIA administrator Hamilton Bartholomew (Walter Mathau) who informs her that she has $200,000 that she doesn't know anything about that those three men are after. Charles and those men, along with a fifth man named Carson Dyle, were given $200,000 in gold to give to the French Resistance, but they stole it instead. Carson was shot and left for dead, and Charles double-crossed the others.
What happens next is a series of deaths and people are not who they say they are. What is absolutely clear to Regina is she is unsure as to trust Brian and as the viewer we're unsure, too. They fight and work together at times, and all Regina wants is for this ordeal to end fully cooperating with the three men and the CIA, who wants the money back.
This film is not at all predictable, it's fun. It's a completely joyous suspense thriller romantic comedy.
½ March 10, 2016
Grant and Hepburn together!? This is so near to perfection.
March 3, 2016
One of the greatest openings of any movie - a dead body even before titles backed by magnificent Mancini music.
Sophisticated humour, score, stars.
Grant and Hepburn perfect in their roles even though Grant (self-consciously) plays his older lover role for laughs. Watch out for his pass-the-orange and clothed-shower routines!
Despite its deceptions, plot is probably a little thin for today's audience.
Kudos for any thriller that mixes humour and adventure so well (as the best of James Bond does).
February 28, 2016
Three of my favorite people (Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Walter Matthau) in one movie. It kind of has a Hitchcock feel, a bit sillier though. A lot of fun.
January 11, 2016
This movie was by far one of the best movies I have ever seen. It had so many unexpected twists and turns that left you questioning everything you have just seen. The movie had me at the edge of my seat trying to process what I had just happened. I absolutely loved this movie it will always be one of the best mystery movies ever made
½ November 13, 2015
Charade is an odd, complex case. It has an engaging story, albeit not until around thirty minutes in, but it stinks of bad chemistry, overdone performances, and an overall cheesy atmosphere to it.
Regina Lampert, on a trip to Paris and hoping to divorce her husband, finds him dead and knows she is in evident danger from his former war buddies. She trusts a rather suave but untrustworthy man using many different alias to keep her safe and crack the case.
Charade is as 1960s as it gets. It has a corny, old atmosphere to it with overdone and sometimes unrealistic performances from Grant and Hepburn. Those two have questionable chemistry as they share the same emotion over and over, it seems all overdone and fake. Most would note the film style bears a striking resemblance of Hitchcock's film style, I see it as that plus the corny atmosphere. Charade isn't for everyone and I couldn't get hooked right away, however the film did pick up over time but various essential aspects seemed off time and time again.
October 3, 2015
This was a fun movie, sort of had issues with the thriller/comedy aspect of it, since it didn't know what it wanted to be. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn are great as usual for these type of parts (that we've seen too often in movies like this), but it's the supporting cast of thuggish male 60's icons (Kennedy, Coburn and yes, Mattheau) that stands out for me.
September 19, 2015
Not sure how a movie with Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy could be underrated, but this one is. Very enjoyable mystery; one of my favorites from this era.
½ September 14, 2015
Thriller, comedy and romance in a well prepared film. The final scene when the real identity of one of the main characters is finally revealed, it is really funny. Audrey Hepburn with that special kind of beauty and Cary Grant reminded of Hitchcock's films where he acted too, they were perfect for the roles.
September 12, 2015
Classic, not quite Hitchcock, but still good.