Charade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charade Reviews

April 2, 2019
(Me in my lawn chair yelling at the neighbor kids): "WHY DON'T YA'LL MAKE MOVIES LIKE THIS ANYMORE?!"
½ February 3, 2019
Great suspenseful movie, but the plot can be hard to follow at times.
January 27, 2019
The best thrilling mystery comedy romance movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: the title song! And the best movie score ever composed!
December 14, 2018
It took a while before I trusted this film. So much of its antics feel amateur at first, but then you are faced with such witty and clever dialogue that you start to wonder if you are looking at the thing wrong. I mistook parody for bad writing at first, but once it all clicked together for me I was mesmerized and desperate to watch it all over again. It's preposterous and an absolute delight. When the credits rolled, I told my friend "I think I may love this film." Given some time to sit on it, I think I really do.
½ September 7, 2018
Charming pix, a little to complex at times, but still very watchable.
September 2, 2018
The way the relationship between the two main characters evolves certainly isn't particularly realistic and becomes increasingly less so as time goes by, but Hepburn (she really does steal the show from everyone else by a mile) and Grant's charisma and electric chemistry goes a long way in helping to ignore the silliness. As for the plot, well it's simple but clever, involving a number of people (made up of an impressive supporting cast) and keeps you guessing as to who's who and what they're up to right until the last minute. That makes it a pretty darn exciting and tense, yet somewhat light-hearted and fun ride as we follow the chase through the streets of Paris, even if the way all the elements come together is a little difficult to believe.
July 29, 2018
Loved this classic! Has an unexpected twist at the very end and was a well thought through movie! Good job!
July 27, 2018
**KINDA CHEESY, CONVOLUTED, MURDER MYSTERY WITH OODLES OF OLD MOVIE STAR FACES***
July 18, 2018
As light and fluffy as a perfect soufflé. I had a tooth extracted the day before watching this and l forgot all about it watching this. Everything about this including the gorgeous Technicolor is just great. Modern movies don't have this crackerjack dialogue or style. What a blast.
½ May 26, 2018
What a great movie! It's a classic whodunit film which has a lot of comedy elements because of the performances of Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. Those two having a screwball comedy within a crime thriller and it works fantastic. The chemistry is remarkable and it's fun to see how a brisk and forceful Audrey Hepburn tries to seduce a way older Cary Grant - who knows that and actually says that she could be his daughter. Nice storytelling and ending. Had a blast from start to finish.
April 28, 2018
my favorite movie set in Paris. Audrey Hepburn is a gem. George Kennedy stands out as deranged bad guy-amputee Scobie. very entertaining overall
½ February 25, 2018
This is described as 'the best Hitchcock film Hitchcock never made'. After watching it I have to agree!
November 7, 2017
I was surprised to see that this film scored higher than von Ryan's Express, which I consider to be a much better film. Charade is ok but it's a bit daft, and very 60s, but considering how old it is it's not too bad, and it does have Audrey Hepburn in it.
½ October 16, 2017
Charade is a fun ride. There's not as much payoff here as many other films of its type, but the mystery is interesting, the characters are engaging, and the romance is inviting.
October 14, 2017
Audrey Hepburn is absolutely charming, funny, and beautiful as always. Very Hitchkockian as Guillermo Del Toro put it. It reminds me a lot of Vertigo or Rear Window. Probably used the same studio lot to film.

Very funny at times but also very tightly scripted. The way the story is told unfolds in a very interesting way. The movie, even though being a crime mystery movie, lends itself well to lightheartedness and humor. As always, the technicolor looks beautiful.

In summary, terrific movie that has charm, humor, suspense, crime, it has it all and it won me over.
September 24, 2017
Audrey Hepburn's in Paris and in some trouble. Her husband has been killed and these gorillas show up suddenly grunting about one quarter of a million dollars missing. Who can she trust? The only guy available (Cary Grant) changes his name, and his story (and thus the movie's title), daily. And people are being killed. Interestingly, the director Donen quite literally throws this at Grant but Hepburn steals the film anyhow. In the final analysis it all doesn't quite add up logically, but the charm of the leads, and Paris, and music by Mancini is one reason this is one of my favorites.
½ July 20, 2017
A few twists too many dampen this quip-laden, romantic thriller.
½ June 2, 2017
Stunningly witty thriller murder mystery with twists and a great deal of humor. Wonderful performances by Hepburn and Grant, along with Paris locations and Mancini's lovely music make this film a classic in every sense of the word! A great oldie that stillholds up today!
½ April 25, 2017
Very funny and smart movie with handsome leads. It's very entertaining and has quite a few thrilling and amusing plot twists. Audrey Hepburn is as always charming and her performance is just what you expect of her. Cary Grant is solid and assuring as her protector and all the other shady characters he embodies. Pure entertainment, beyond all expectations.