Fahrenheit 451 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fahrenheit 451 Reviews

½ September 15, 2016
Layered and emotionally deep-seated, François Truffaut's FAHRENHEIT 451 has aged tremendously well. The only other film that came to mind while watching it was Coppola's THE CONVERSATION. Apart from that, it felt like nothing I had ever seen before.
½ April 24, 2016
A fairly unusual film right from the start, when the credits are read out instead of written on the screen. This is symbolic, of course. The film is about a few rebels living in a world where books are forbidden. Despite it's weird style and it's successful attempt to predict the future (in some ways), I still couldn't stay awake throughout this film after two attempts. I guess it's just not interesting enough.
April 16, 2016
This movie doesn't follow the book at all. But in '66 this was the best they could do, and during that time it was amazing, but I must admit I liked how they did the ending. So I won't be too harsh.
½ December 21, 2015
More like a jazz riff on the source material than a note by note translation, Traffaut's version actually adds interesting layers not intended by Bradbury. It's always cool to see how the past imagined the future and this imagination is well layered. For instance all the houses have TV antennas. Its a important feature of Traffaut's vision --- and its wrong technically. Nobody back then saw WIFI coming. On the other hand wall-sized flat screens are a right on the money prediction. On the whole the film is an uneven affair, and Werner's presence is disconcerting, yet as sci-fi it totally works. Its not just about burning books. Its about controlling the masses.
½ November 26, 2015
Transposed to the screen by Truffaut and with an evoking score by Bernard Herrmann, Bradbury's terrifying vision of a future is a brilliant allegory that remains intelligent and pertinent even today, when books may not be destroyed but are scorned by the people themselves.
½ November 6, 2015
The Book, Rather Than This Visual re-Telling Is Far Better. I Guess This At Least, Ironically, Gives Those Who Prefer Visual Media Over The Written Word To Be Shown These Ideals Of Thought, Free-Thinking & Discovery Through Knowledge As Portrayed By Bradbury In His Dystopian Future. Bradbury Saw Books As Being Lost Due To Futuristic Gadgetry & Screens, Distracting Us...This Does Not Do His Books Or Ideas Justice, But Ironically Shows Why Books Are Better...So If You Can Read, Go Get a The Zbook!!
August 14, 2015
Less Sci-Fi and more a sort of abstraction of Bradbury's ideas. This was Truffaut's first English-speaking film and the first he shot in color. It seems as if something might have been lost in translation. But nothing is lost with Julie Christie's presence and the fantastic cinematography of Nicolas Roeg. Worth a look.
½ June 30, 2015
I really wanted to enjoy this movie because I enjoyed the novel, but while the underlying message is still there all elements of sci-fi and suspense are thrown out the window replaced with laughably awkward and cheesy scenes such as with Mildred and the television and every scene with the woman who is burned in her house. Awkward, sloppy, and dissapointing... but a laugh if your into that.
June 3, 2015
This movie was way off of the book. I hated it. Don't watch it.
April 29, 2015
Uma sociedade em que os bombeiros queimam livros para manter a população desinformada.
January 26, 2015
Read the book it is the masterpiece that the film is not!
January 21, 2015
"Fahrenheit 451" fue la única película en inglés y la única película de ciencia ficción dirigida por Truffaut. Esta adaptación de la novela de Ray Bradbury nos muestra cómo en un futuro cercano los libros serán prohibidos y quemados por los bomberos. Montag (Oskar Werner) es uno de esos bomberos que duda de su oficio y Julie Christie interpreta tanto a su ligera esposa Linda como a la rebelde Clarisse. Lo doloroso de esta película es que actualmente ya no se necesitan quemar los libros para que la gente no los lea.
January 9, 2015
To learn how to find, one must first learn how to hide.
December 28, 2014
Not Truffaut's best work, but that does not stop it from raising the actual point. Films are not just for artistic worshiping, but how artistically they serve the social cause, explore the human attributes through multiple fictional creative work.
November 22, 2014
By far one of the most (unintentionally?) hilarious sci-fi's I have ever seen in my life, ever.
Where do I begin? The awkward dialogue, the shots the just linger waay too long to the point of absurdity, scenes filmed in reverse and played in both ways, random slow motion, the strange cuts and transitions, precisely two random acts of screen-blacking to force attention, the spaced-out characters, hiding books in a toaster, that TV programme that so creepily stops to ask the viewer how to procceed, the dude's wifes amorous "Haaaa~" bit, flying policemen, and the firemans pole that goes UP somehow as well as down, also that same pole seems to reject the protagonist going up later in the film, as if it has a concious understanding of his recent activities while the rest of the force is oblivious (they should just have these poles everywhere, test people on it and then they would know who's been reading books or not). Also, later, he can't even slide down the pole, I guess it would just stop physics and he would just float there, so instead he opts for the stairs.
On top of all this hilarity, there is an interesting allegorical concept .

4/5 Would laugh again.
November 12, 2014
4.0 out of 5 stars Montag, Montag, 12 Nov 2014
By The Outsider "Muso" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fahrenheit 451 [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
The film version of Ray Bradbury's classic sci-fi is nearly as good as the book, thanks to Francois Truffaut and a host of helpers. The look of the film is a blend of Truffaut and Nic Roeg (who shot it), the sound track by the incomparable Bernard Hermann, and a beautiful, true to the novel (mainly) script.

The odd thing - which results in a star removed - is moving the setting out of the USA into a Europe that doesn't exist. This is a clear McCarthy era paranoia tale, and without this, the film seems even weirder. Casting the German Oskar Werner is just plain bizarre. He is blank, speaks with a thick German accent while everyone else is RADA English, don't you know chaps. Montag is pretty hard to fathom as a character, but multiply this times ten in this version. I do love Julie Christies dual role as Montag's wife (now called Linda, not Mildred, for some strange reason) and his literate future girlfriend Clarisse.

All that said, this film is still a treat and a unique one at that. You will never see another one like it - it is like a film made by aliens
August 24, 2014
This film takes the social commentary and intriguing premise from the novel and gets rid of the boring characters that were found in the book, making for an adaptation that is much better than the source material.
August 22, 2014
An intriguing story most notably for its metaphysical ending which is open to interpretation. I am sure the novel could only be better, but the film itself is flamboyant with the presence of Oskar Werner.