The Fly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fly Reviews

½ May 11, 2018
A true science horror story with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis, very 80s, well acted and terrifically gruesome!
May 8, 2018
Where do I start with The Fly? This is gotta be one of the most horrifying films I am going to review. Why is that, do you ask? Well, for a 80's horror film, David Cronenberg is known for making body horror in films which is crazy because of how grotesque and evenly disgusting and overall really disturbing the way the effects look in the film. But the way they do it it's really impressive. Overall, this is a remake to the 1958 film The Fly with Vincent Price and now David took the story to a whole new level and make the film really scary and horrifying for audience to see. Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis main stars in this sci-fi body horror flick. Jeff Goldblum gives his great performance as an brilliant scientist, Seth Brundle. He can awesome like doing push up's and he swings around the pole. I wish I could do that even though I did push up's the most. The only thing that really does shock me is that Seth does an arm-wrestling challenge and all of the sudden he breaks the arm-wrestler's arm giving him a fracture. There are alot of scenes that really does scare and gross out the audience, One scene is that Seth Brundle does an experiment on a baboon and then goes horribly wrong when the baboon's skin turn inside out leaving it look grotesque and gory. Now that Seth's almost turned into a fly making his skin look poorly. Kind of sneaks you up like cancer doesn't it? Now you can see he's vomiting acid and his ear came off. David Cronenberg had a cameo appearance as an gynecologist in the dream sequence where Veronica is pregnant to a giant baby maggot. Now that is a gross-out dream that people will get nightmares about. The Fly is more than a science fiction romantic horror with a relationship between Seth Brundle and Veronica Quaife, both of which done their best performance. I still think Jeff Goldblum's performance is outstanding and fantastic as an scientist who thinks the transmitter pod will change the world. The make-up effects and special effects are unbelivably outstanding despite it being gross and disgusting but you know what, I actually don't mind it. David Cronenberg really does make this film look surprisingly affecting with gore and horror and drama. His films really does give a unique body changing make them look psychological. I love The Fly and I think it's one of David Cronenberg's best films.
April 4, 2018
The best remake I have ever seen in my life. The makeup effects are well-worth noting because it just looks so unbelievably realistic. This one easily kicks the original`s rear end.
½ April 3, 2018
Rewatched, still holds up pretty well.
½ April 2, 2018
Fans of body horror and David Cronenberg will have so much to love in this gruesome, tense and yet tremendously heartbreaking film that not only impresses with its magnificent Oscar-winning makeup but also understands that this should be about the characters above everything else.
April 1, 2018
It's all about how we hate insects these days and I liked the way they presented it
March 26, 2018
I finally got around to watching this and it was a great body-horror movie. Not only is Goldblum's transformation grotesque, it is very emotional and you end up sympathizing strongly with everyone involved. The final scene is burned into my memory and stands as one of the most powerful scenes I have ever seen in a horror film. I was not expecting the emotional rollercoaster but it was a fantastic film to watch.
½ February 23, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 15, 2018
The most Kafkian film ever made.
½ February 7, 2018
This movie is an excellent remake. It is scary, thrilling, well done and has an excellent pace. Jeff Goldblum is in his best at this main role here
February 5, 2018
Can anyone recommend this film without mentioning the special effects, or that it stars Jeff Goldblum? The 1958 version is a million times better.
February 2, 2018
Body horror masterpiece that makes modern CGI tear its fingernails out in comparison.
January 13, 2018
Wow, What a movie.....
½ December 10, 2017
4.5/5. The Fly is fantastically disgusting and uber-disterbing. Jeff Goldblum gives a fantastic performance, and David Cronenberg dishes up some of the best gore I have ever seen in a movie.
November 3, 2017
Gruesome and visceral, and even disgusting at times, all mixing in favor for its creativity and clever subject of approach, including the outstanding work of practical effects, this body-horror remake of the 50s classic outstands on its own with intelligence, compelling set up and a ingenious take in regards of the previous films, turning out to be one of David Cronenberg best films, and a complete accomplishment for both, horror films and remakes becoming ,for many, even more memorable than the previous versions.
½ October 31, 2017
Solid through and through. Cronenberg's practical effects are a welcome breath of fresh air in an era of green screen and computer generated everything. The classic movie makes the macabre and grotesque transformation feel real and helps the movie age with grace.
A fun watch that isn't too scientifically taxing for the sci fan.
½ October 31, 2017
Only Cronenberg could remake the great B-movie original with as much humor as he does terror. The visual effects and makeup in the body horror is undeniable and supremely disgusting, but the way Goldblum's Brundle handles his transformation is dryly and unnervingly funny. Goldblum and Davis are both so great, and the way the movie peals away thematic layers of purity and sex and procreation goes far beyond the original. Gross goodness.
October 23, 2017
Though [The Fly] is quite revolting, the special effects for the time are phenomenal, and even with the technology this day, the special effects in this movie are far superior to mot CGI in horror movies today.
October 8, 2017
The Fly is hard to watch, in a good way. If anybody knows the grotesque, it's Cronenberg. The effects are spectacular, but they are also built on a tragic tale of Hubris. The Fly is a great film and I would highly recommend it.