The Fly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fly Reviews

December 6, 2016
David Cronenberg is a director most known for his body horror approach to the many topics he approaches, which makes The Fly all the more special. Taking a somewhat classic monster movie approach in telling the story of an eccentric scientist whose project goes horribly wrong, it obviously has Cronenberg's body horror elements at the forefront, but not at the expense of the characters: in fact, this is as much a rather poignant character study as it is a sci-fi horror flick. The character of Seth Brundle is so wonderfully written: there's never a moment in the movie where his actions don't feel real, and everything about him as a whole is so sympathetic and likeable, which makes his downfall that much more emotional. Much of this credit goes to Jeff Goldblum, who is so endlessly committed to this role. Even when he's caked under pounds of make-up and impaired by burdensome mouthpieces, Goldblum really sells the character, especially at the later end of the film, as well as his relationship with journalist Veronica Quaife: it helps that Quaife is played by Goldblum's then-girlfriend Geena Davis, which adds a very realistic dynamic to their relationship. Those aforementioned make-up effects are astounding: some of the stages of Brundle's transformation are downright disgusting, and in general, these are effects that just can't be done justice without them being practical in the way they are in the film. The practical effects benefit the performances, and the performances actually benefit the practical effects as well: the ultimate cinematic symbiotic relationship.
November 22, 2016
Much like the original film on which it was based, this film is about fear. And yet, like the original, it is not truly about the fear of mutated fly men. It is a fear of loss, the loss of one's own self-identity, the fear of technology, and the fear of decay. Uncertainly also plays a huge part. Not knowing what to trust about yourself and also what not to trust about the ones you love is frightening.

Outside of its central themes, the film is a beautiful production. The acting is great, and the effects and makeup top notch. It is a rare movie in which the remake is better than the original, and it has stumbled on stupidly simple formal more remakes should use. It is have a similar idea, but take different paths to get there. The journey and results will be amazing.
November 12, 2016
A strange, disturbing film.
November 4, 2016
There's very little story in this movie. It's literally boy meets girl, boy is afraid he will lose girl, so boy makes a stupid mistake and turns himself into a disgusting freak of nature. I just don't get how this movie has captivated people, or why people desire to watch it. The Fly made me sick to my stomach, it is just loaded with intentionally grotesque imagery and the grossness doesn't move the plot forward. In fact the plot stagnates and simply becomes a series of moments where Geena Davis leaves Jeff Goldblum and then we wait until she will go back to find out how much more disgusting he has become. There are elements of the story that would work in another movie, but the effects from Cronenberg and his team are so over-the-top that about halfway through the film I find Brundlefly completely unsympathetic and I'm waiting for someone to kill him. I also have a tough time with the logic of his transformation. Why would combined genetic code lead to a fully human form that slowly transitions into a fully fly form? It seems he would instantly be a combination of the 2, much like the baboon was instantly turned inside out. There's just nothing in this film I enjoyed. The concept and setup was solid, but the execution was enough to make me lose any appetite for the next several hours, which is not exactly what I look for in movies.
October 25, 2016
Horrifying and disgusting and is definitely not for the faint of heart. But if you can look past the gore, it's really more of a tragedy than a monster movie and is one of the greatest movie remakes ever.
½ October 25, 2016
This movie is disturbing, disgusting and a delight. It's a true classic that still holds up today and will never be in need of an update.
October 24, 2016
Fantastic performances with both over the top and gross practical effects,
October 23, 2016
5 stars for the make-up alone!
October 17, 2016
You wouldn't expect a movie called The Fly to be any good. Well, you would be so wrong. It is gross, but beautiful at the same time. Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis are both terrific, and, of course, the makeup and the puppetry flawless. A definite must-see.
½ October 10, 2016
I'm not normally a fan of body horror, but The Fly is a well-crafted and horrifying movie. Jeff Goldblum is very convincing as a mad scientist, and the visual effects still hold up disturbingly well. I'm a fan of the 1958 film - it's a classic - but this may be one of the few times when a remake is arguably as good, if not better, than the original.
½ September 16, 2016
A film from one of my favourite directors, David Cronenberg. A director that never fails to deliver on the gore and human malformations front.
However The Fly from 1986 (yes thirty years ago!) isn't all about great prosthetics and make-up effects it also explores human emotions, relationships and science (although the computer looks naff!).
The film is actually a remake of a 1958 horror B-movie starring Vincent Price. The small cast is led by Jeff Goldblum. Someone I had only seen in Death Wish and Jurassic Park. However he delivers a good performance as a scientist whose experiments on matter transportation goes wrong. He experiments on himself and turns into a human/fly hybrid.
As the film progresses he gradually turns more insect. Complete with the escalation in special effects.
I might have to track the 1958 version down as many commentators say this remake is of the rare breed that better the original?
I've seen several Cronenberg films and this ranks high up amongst them.
August 23, 2016
I found it a bit slow to begin with as the proper transformation did not start until towards the end of the movie. The gore was good- much more believable and generally looks better than today's CGI in my opinion. I won't forget the movie, and I enjoyed it.
½ August 10, 2016
Fun boy horror from the master of it. Featuring a very fun performance from Jeff Goldbloom and a flummoxed Geena Davis (to say nothing of the character). The effects are the reason to watch as everything else is a barely contrived reason to get there. The romance never feels weighted enough to justify any character's motivation, but who cares, really?
August 7, 2016
A truly gut-wrenching masterpiece. A horror film that features sophistication, superb acting and plenty of violence and gore. This movie proves that Jeff Goldblum is a superb but quite underrated actor. At the same time, proves that David Cronenberg is a true master of body horror. 'The Fly' is a very rare remake that is arguably superior to the original.
July 25, 2016
Shockingly sexualized and grotesque, David Cronenberg's remake evolves beyond the campy original.
July 24, 2016
1931's Frankenstein Is One Of My Favorite Films.
July 19, 2016
This tragic and disturbing body horror film has strongly developed characters which make it a surprisingly affective horror film.

After a scientist attempts to teleport himself, a fly accidentally gets in with him and he begins to gruesomely transform into a man/fly hybrid.

This movie is all about tension. It leads up to the big reveal of the monster at the end. Also, it has greatly developed characters. The movie does a great job making us sympathize with Brundle and at the end, it contains a tragic ending which works so well because we can't help but feel sorry for Brundle after seeing what he's been through. It's pretty hard to watch but it's fitting.

The special effects look phenomenal and despite being almost 30 years old, they still look gruesome today. Few movie monsters are as disturbing to look at as this one. I once thought that The Thing (1982) had great effects for its time (which it does) but this movie clearly has put as much effort into making the effects as gruesome and realistic as possible.

But I didn't like how the movie started off slow. It took half an hour for Brundle to first get infected. I get that the movie was trying to set up the characters (and it succeeded in doing so) but the first half hour felt much slower then the rest of the film. It should have been cut down a bit. However, the other hour of the film which follows is well-done and it had great buildup and tension.

Despite a slow start, The Fly is a very well-done movie which has strongly developed characters. Its effects are disgusting and realistic and they still hold up today. Its ending is very tragic and it gets me every time. If you don't mind gore then I strongly recommend this film.
May 16, 2016
a grosse but a very good movie not for the weak
May 12, 2016
The Fly (1986) ???
Stomach-turning remake of 1958 cult favorite (of the same name) about off-the-wall scientist Goldblum who makes fatal mistake of letting a fly into his transportation devise. Combined with the fly, he turns into one. Science fiction/thriller remake is almost unbearably intense; it is vivid and credible, with rich performances by its two stars, but it's also uncomforting, certainly icky, and perhaps all too effective. David Cronenberg co-scripted with Charles Edward Pogue. This won a best makeup Oscar. Followed by THE FLY II.