The Fly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fly Reviews

April 19, 2017
classic 80s Sci-fi. A man creates a teleportal machine and tests it out unaware a fly has got in creating a half man half fly. great acting from Jeff goldblum
½ April 13, 2017
How have I not seen this yet!
April 10, 2017
one of the best horror films of the 1980s.
½ April 4, 2017
This tragic and disturbing body horror film has strongly developed characters which make it a surprisingly affective horror film.

After a scientist attempts to teleport himself, a fly accidentally gets in with him and he begins to gruesomely transform into a man/fly hybrid.

This movie is all about tension. It leads up to the big reveal of the monster at the end. Also, it has greatly developed characters. The movie does a great job making us sympathize with Brundle and at the end, it contains a tragic ending which works so well because we can't help but feel sorry for Brundle after seeing what he's been through. It's pretty hard to watch but it's fitting.

The special effects look phenomenal and despite being almost 30 years old, they still look gruesome today. Few movie monsters are as disturbing to look at as this one. I once thought that The Thing (1982) had great effects for its time (which it does) but this movie clearly has put as much effort into making the effects as gruesome and realistic as possible.

But I didn't like how the movie started off slow. It took half an hour for Brundle to first get infected. I get that the movie was trying to set up the characters (and it succeeded in doing so) but the first half hour felt much slower then the rest of the film. It should have been cut down a bit. However, the other hour of the film which follows is well-done and it had great buildup and tension.

Despite a slow start, The Fly is a very well-done movie which has strongly developed characters. Its effects are disgusting and realistic and they still hold up today. Its ending is very tragic and it gets me every time. If you don't mind gore then I strongly recommend this film.
March 26, 2017
A sickening tale of science gone wrong, ending with terrible consequences. "The Fly" is a very effective body-horror, and a sad romantic tragedy that to this day still makes for a stunning movie.
February 11, 2017
It's good desiccated movie to watch
½ January 27, 2017
The Fly is a creepy and haunting film thanks to its impressive makeup work, its plot that gradually builds its intensity up to its hard-hitting climax, and strong performances from Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis.
January 21, 2017
October 29th 2009
July 29th-30th 2012
January 21st 2017
January 21, 2017
Disturbing film to say the least. Special effects are absolutely incredible. An absolute classic of the horror genre. 5 stars. Today's films are not a patch on this. The makeup special effects were so scary compared to today's computer methods.
½ January 15, 2017
I don't know if I would have the courage to check out this film again. What I do know, however, is that "The Fly" is one of David Cronenberg's finest works and one of his most terrifying, tragic, and emotionally absorbing horror films. Most people seem to love the film simply because of its brilliant special effects and Goldblum's transformative performance, but the thing I love about this film is that it has a very sad narrative at the heart of it, a very tragic love story about characters that you can relate to. I was surprised by how much I cared about these people, so even when things became gory and slimy and very disgusting, I was never put off by it. "The Fly" is an intelligent and riveting horror film.
January 5, 2017
Rather than being another typical sci-fi/horror film (let alone poor remake), this is instead a satisfying, tragic, love triangle romance told with well written characters, great acting, and superb special effects that still hold up 30+ years later.
This is a film that knows how to deliver the scares at the right level of belief thanks to its use of suspense, visuals, and genuinely likable characters.
December 18, 2016
A horror classic with great visuals and a great performance by Jeff Goldblum.
December 6, 2016
David Cronenberg is a director most known for his body horror approach to the many topics he approaches, which makes The Fly all the more special. Taking a somewhat classic monster movie approach in telling the story of an eccentric scientist whose project goes horribly wrong, it obviously has Cronenberg's body horror elements at the forefront, but not at the expense of the characters: in fact, this is as much a rather poignant character study as it is a sci-fi horror flick. The character of Seth Brundle is so wonderfully written: there's never a moment in the movie where his actions don't feel real, and everything about him as a whole is so sympathetic and likeable, which makes his downfall that much more emotional. Much of this credit goes to Jeff Goldblum, who is so endlessly committed to this role. Even when he's caked under pounds of make-up and impaired by burdensome mouthpieces, Goldblum really sells the character, especially at the later end of the film, as well as his relationship with journalist Veronica Quaife: it helps that Quaife is played by Goldblum's then-girlfriend Geena Davis, which adds a very realistic dynamic to their relationship. Those aforementioned make-up effects are astounding: some of the stages of Brundle's transformation are downright disgusting, and in general, these are effects that just can't be done justice without them being practical in the way they are in the film. The practical effects benefit the performances, and the performances actually benefit the practical effects as well: the ultimate cinematic symbiotic relationship.
November 22, 2016
Much like the original film on which it was based, this film is about fear. And yet, like the original, it is not truly about the fear of mutated fly men. It is a fear of loss, the loss of one's own self-identity, the fear of technology, and the fear of decay. Uncertainly also plays a huge part. Not knowing what to trust about yourself and also what not to trust about the ones you love is frightening.

Outside of its central themes, the film is a beautiful production. The acting is great, and the effects and makeup top notch. It is a rare movie in which the remake is better than the original, and it has stumbled on stupidly simple formal more remakes should use. It is have a similar idea, but take different paths to get there. The journey and results will be amazing.
November 12, 2016
A strange, disturbing film.
November 4, 2016
There's very little story in this movie. It's literally boy meets girl, boy is afraid he will lose girl, so boy makes a stupid mistake and turns himself into a disgusting freak of nature. I just don't get how this movie has captivated people, or why people desire to watch it. The Fly made me sick to my stomach, it is just loaded with intentionally grotesque imagery and the grossness doesn't move the plot forward. In fact the plot stagnates and simply becomes a series of moments where Geena Davis leaves Jeff Goldblum and then we wait until she will go back to find out how much more disgusting he has become. There are elements of the story that would work in another movie, but the effects from Cronenberg and his team are so over-the-top that about halfway through the film I find Brundlefly completely unsympathetic and I'm waiting for someone to kill him. I also have a tough time with the logic of his transformation. Why would combined genetic code lead to a fully human form that slowly transitions into a fully fly form? It seems he would instantly be a combination of the 2, much like the baboon was instantly turned inside out. There's just nothing in this film I enjoyed. The concept and setup was solid, but the execution was enough to make me lose any appetite for the next several hours, which is not exactly what I look for in movies.
October 25, 2016
Horrifying and disgusting and is definitely not for the faint of heart. But if you can look past the gore, it's really more of a tragedy than a monster movie and is one of the greatest movie remakes ever.
½ October 25, 2016
This movie is disturbing, disgusting and a delight. It's a true classic that still holds up today and will never be in need of an update.
October 24, 2016
Fantastic performances with both over the top and gross practical effects,
October 23, 2016
5 stars for the make-up alone!