The Fly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fly Reviews

October 24, 2016
Fantastic performances with both over the top and gross practical effects,
October 23, 2016
5 stars for the make-up alone!
October 17, 2016
You wouldn't expect a movie called The Fly to be any good. Well, you would be so wrong. It is gross, but beautiful at the same time. Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis are both terrific, and, of course, the makeup and the puppetry flawless. A definite must-see.
½ October 10, 2016
I'm not normally a fan of body horror, but The Fly is a well-crafted and horrifying movie. Jeff Goldblum is very convincing as a mad scientist, and the visual effects still hold up disturbingly well. I'm a fan of the 1958 film - it's a classic - but this may be one of the few times when a remake is arguably as good, if not better, than the original.
½ September 16, 2016
A film from one of my favourite directors, David Cronenberg. A director that never fails to deliver on the gore and human malformations front.
However The Fly from 1986 (yes thirty years ago!) isn't all about great prosthetics and make-up effects it also explores human emotions, relationships and science (although the computer looks naff!).
The film is actually a remake of a 1958 horror B-movie starring Vincent Price. The small cast is led by Jeff Goldblum. Someone I had only seen in Death Wish and Jurassic Park. However he delivers a good performance as a scientist whose experiments on matter transportation goes wrong. He experiments on himself and turns into a human/fly hybrid.
As the film progresses he gradually turns more insect. Complete with the escalation in special effects.
I might have to track the 1958 version down as many commentators say this remake is of the rare breed that better the original?
I've seen several Cronenberg films and this ranks high up amongst them.
½ September 11, 2016
A strange, disturbing film.
August 23, 2016
I found it a bit slow to begin with as the proper transformation did not start until towards the end of the movie. The gore was good- much more believable and generally looks better than today's CGI in my opinion. I won't forget the movie, and I enjoyed it.
½ August 10, 2016
Fun boy horror from the master of it. Featuring a very fun performance from Jeff Goldbloom and a flummoxed Geena Davis (to say nothing of the character). The effects are the reason to watch as everything else is a barely contrived reason to get there. The romance never feels weighted enough to justify any character's motivation, but who cares, really?
August 7, 2016
A truly gut-wrenching masterpiece. A horror film that features sophistication, superb acting and plenty of violence and gore. This movie proves that Jeff Goldblum is a superb but quite underrated actor. At the same time, proves that David Cronenberg is a true master of body horror. 'The Fly' is a very rare remake that is arguably superior to the original.
July 25, 2016
Shockingly sexualized and grotesque, David Cronenberg's remake evolves beyond the campy original.
July 24, 2016
1931's Frankenstein Is One Of My Favorite Films.
July 19, 2016
This tragic and disturbing body horror film has strongly developed characters which make it a surprisingly affective horror film.

After a scientist attempts to teleport himself, a fly accidentally gets in with him and he begins to gruesomely transform into a man/fly hybrid.

This movie is all about tension. It leads up to the big reveal of the monster at the end. Also, it has greatly developed characters. The movie does a great job making us sympathize with Brundle and at the end, it contains a tragic ending which works so well because we can't help but feel sorry for Brundle after seeing what he's been through. It's pretty hard to watch but it's fitting.

The special effects look phenomenal and despite being almost 30 years old, they still look gruesome today. Few movie monsters are as disturbing to look at as this one. I once thought that The Thing (1982) had great effects for its time (which it does) but this movie clearly has put as much effort into making the effects as gruesome and realistic as possible.

But I didn't like how the movie started off slow. It took half an hour for Brundle to first get infected. I get that the movie was trying to set up the characters (and it succeeded in doing so) but the first half hour felt much slower then the rest of the film. It should have been cut down a bit. However, the other hour of the film which follows is well-done and it had great buildup and tension.

Despite a slow start, The Fly is a very well-done movie which has strongly developed characters. Its effects are disgusting and realistic and they still hold up today. Its ending is very tragic and it gets me every time. If you don't mind gore then I strongly recommend this film.
May 16, 2016
a grosse but a very good movie not for the weak
May 12, 2016
The Fly (1986) ???
Stomach-turning remake of 1958 cult favorite (of the same name) about off-the-wall scientist Goldblum who makes fatal mistake of letting a fly into his transportation devise. Combined with the fly, he turns into one. Science fiction/thriller remake is almost unbearably intense; it is vivid and credible, with rich performances by its two stars, but it's also uncomforting, certainly icky, and perhaps all too effective. David Cronenberg co-scripted with Charles Edward Pogue. This won a best makeup Oscar. Followed by THE FLY II.
May 9, 2016
Really good, makes you feel for the characters, but horrifying and disturbing.
½ May 2, 2016
Cronenberg delivers in the classic that would have fallen in anyone else's hands. A smart script is delivered by the cast in a slow burn that builds up to an emotional climax.
½ April 30, 2016
A masterpiece of sci fi horror supported with great performances of Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis. Not for sensitive people.
½ April 13, 2016
Disturbing and engaging, the fly is a fascinating look at human nature. Jeff Goldblum is fantastic, but the acting really drops off from there. A must-see.
April 10, 2016
Nicely crafted remake which i would compare to the other remake "The Thing" in that they both reimagined their relative originals adding superior production and perfect acting.