The Fly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fly Reviews

August 3, 2017
the original fly starring Vincent price was as great film for it's day, the only problem i had with it was the fact that there's only one scene where the audience gets scared: the revelation of the fly. in this movie not only are there more scares, but we get to see Jeff Goldblum deteriorate into the now famous brundlefly. another highlight of the film was that it's not just a scary movie, it's also a tragedy about an inventor who went too far and it ruined his life.
July 16, 2017
Combining the story, David Cronenberg's directing, Jeff Goldblum's performance, and Howard Shore's moody underscore result in a masterpiece in entertaining cinema. Take a dive into the plasmapool.
July 5, 2017
Seth Brundle, a research scientist invents a way of teleportation, through two "Telepods". After successfully teleporting baboons, he proceeds to perform the teleportation himself,ignoring the fact that there is also a fly in the telepod with him. A marvelous work of makeup, for which it won an Academy Award and it is also pretty horrifying and disgusting as the creature grows inside his body.
July 2, 2017
The golden age of practical effects that is the 80s.
June 29, 2017
Horrifying and disgusting and is definitely not for the faint of heart. But if you can look past the gore, it's really more of a tragedy than a monster movie and is one of the greatest movie remakes ever.
½ June 16, 2017
"The White-Headed Fly" of 1959 wins a remake at the hands of the great and stylish david cronenberg, long that had everything to be more a movie trash movie, or worse, to be a total joke, but the excellent direction of Croneberg removes all The risks of the film being bad, despite an absurd script, we have a movie style, transgressor and that goes from this comedy to suspense going through a good dose of science fiction. It tells the story of Seth Brundle (Jeff Goldblum), a scientist who can find a way to teleport, and in the middle of his experiments he ends up merging his DNA with a fly, and ends up transmuting itself in the insect during the film. This is the script that Croneberg takes in his hand and the ciarra, and makes the trash, a cult. The rhythm of the film is completely linear, although the film is extremely short, it is well solved in what it claims to have, but it has a problem, it was not enough to develop the characters, numerous subplots are created, and none of them is solved. The film pincel deal with a moral about the human ego and the pursuit of professional accomplishment but ends up dealing with love, which is the same regardless of physical appearance, but it is nothing that we have not seen in 500 other films, which we We have not seen in 500 other films is his art direction, which is wonderful, with great and salve highlight the fly that is terrifyingly realistic in all its phases, spectacular work, all hi tech side of the film, which although it is cliché to Season, is very well worked out, and his gray photography does not let us lie that we are seeing a movie from the 80s. Just as jack nicholson already seemed crazy about this first scene of "The Enlightened One", Jeff Goldblum already seems a strange being from this The first scene of the film, this is not bad, its performance is good, and the same fulfills its role, the dramatic charge is more for Geena Davis, and she can handle and develop this load, not brilliantly, but Competently. "The Fly" will not be on the list of best movies, but its boldness and transgression are notorious, and the work of David Croneberg will always be remembered.
June 15, 2017
When people think Body Horror as a genre, they think of this film, and also films like Hellraiser. The basic plot of the film is that a man accidently fuses himself with a fly. The whole rest of the film we see him become the fly. Jeff Goldblum was great as the man becoming a fly. He was convincing as a man transforming into a monster. Geena Davis was great as the love interest scared for her love. She was convincing also. The music fit the film. The cinematography was interesting. Some interesting shots. The directing and writing were pretty good. The only downside of this film was that nothing really happened until he started to become the Fly. Overall, a great cult classic horror film that every horror fan should check out.

Rating: 8.9/10
June 7, 2017
"The Fly" is a visually stunning macabre.
½ June 2, 2017
amazing sci-fi with the most disturbing practical fx i have seen
May 9, 2017
Awesome and grotesque
May 3, 2017
This is a tragic monster movie that starts off slowly but concludes with great acting mainly on Goldblum's part!
April 19, 2017
classic 80s Sci-fi. A man creates a teleportal machine and tests it out unaware a fly has got in creating a half man half fly. great acting from Jeff goldblum
½ April 13, 2017
How have I not seen this yet!
April 10, 2017
one of the best horror films of the 1980s.
½ April 4, 2017
This tragic and disturbing body horror film has strongly developed characters which make it a surprisingly affective horror film.

After a scientist attempts to teleport himself, a fly accidentally gets in with him and he begins to gruesomely transform into a man/fly hybrid.

This movie is all about tension. It leads up to the big reveal of the monster at the end. Also, it has greatly developed characters. The movie does a great job making us sympathize with Brundle and at the end, it contains a tragic ending which works so well because we can't help but feel sorry for Brundle after seeing what he's been through. It's pretty hard to watch but it's fitting.

The special effects look phenomenal and despite being almost 30 years old, they still look gruesome today. Few movie monsters are as disturbing to look at as this one. I once thought that The Thing (1982) had great effects for its time (which it does) but this movie clearly has put as much effort into making the effects as gruesome and realistic as possible.

But I didn't like how the movie started off slow. It took half an hour for Brundle to first get infected. I get that the movie was trying to set up the characters (and it succeeded in doing so) but the first half hour felt much slower then the rest of the film. It should have been cut down a bit. However, the other hour of the film which follows is well-done and it had great buildup and tension.

Despite a slow start, The Fly is a very well-done movie which has strongly developed characters. Its effects are disgusting and realistic and they still hold up today. Its ending is very tragic and it gets me every time. If you don't mind gore then I strongly recommend this film.
March 26, 2017
A sickening tale of science gone wrong, ending with terrible consequences. "The Fly" is a very effective body-horror, and a sad romantic tragedy that to this day still makes for a stunning movie.
February 11, 2017
It's good desiccated movie to watch
½ January 27, 2017
The Fly is a creepy and haunting film thanks to its impressive makeup work, its plot that gradually builds its intensity up to its hard-hitting climax, and strong performances from Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis.
January 21, 2017
October 29th 2009
July 29th-30th 2012
January 21st 2017
January 21, 2017
Disturbing film to say the least. Special effects are absolutely incredible. An absolute classic of the horror genre. 5 stars. Today's films are not a patch on this. The makeup special effects were so scary compared to today's computer methods.