Funny Farm Reviews

• Sep 11, 2019

Review: ‘Funny Farm' is a 1988 American comedy film directed by George Roy Hill. It is adapted from a 1985 comedic novel of the same name by Jay Cronley. The movie feels very much like a ‘Vacation' type of film. Pretty much the only thing that took me out of the mind set was the fact that the actress playing his wife wasn't Beverly D'Angelo. It's not a bad thing by any means, I love all of the ‘Vacation' films. I just wish this movie took an alternative route to make it more of its own thing. Andy and Elizabeth Farmer (Chevy Chase and Madolyn Smith Osborne) decide that they want to movie away from the city and settle down to a quiet life in the country. The movie starts right away with them moving to their new house and immediately things start to go awry. I started chuckling right away and laughed out loud hard at a lot of scenes in this movie. Chevy Chase is an actor who just makes you happy when you watch him on screen. Bad things start to happen at the farmhouse, so the couple decide to go into town to try and wind down and make new friends. This again does not go well, and bad things happen, specifically to Chevy Chase and its all comical. I'm not going to bash this movie for ‘meh' acting. I do understand it's a comedy from the 80's and it's Chevy Chase. The acting isn't the best, but everybody was on the same level, and nobody stood out so I was never taken out of the film. I was able to enjoy what everybody was trying to do. I do have some complaints about the film, and all of them have to do with some of the sub-plots aren't fully brought to a close. I don't want to talk about all of them, because it would be hard to not go into spoiler territory. But there is one on-going joke that has to do with their mailman driving way too fast and recklessly down their road and Chevy Chase's character tries to stop him and talk to him. We see the guy who drives the truck once, but nothing is said about it even though that was a problem 20 minutes ago in the movie. Overall, this movie did what it set out to do and that's to make you laugh. I will say that you need to like Chevy Chase's comedy, because there is nothing different in this movie and is very much his type of comedy. 3/5

• Sep 07, 2019

An under appreciated Chase classic

An under appreciated Chase classic

• Jul 12, 2019

Easy and amusing, and lovely !

Easy and amusing, and lovely !

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Mar 19, 2019

Pretty cut-and-dried, fish-out-of-water story: "hilarity ensues when a city couple move out to the country." This has been done before, and very much better: "The Egg and I", "Mr.Blandings Builds His Dream House", or even the television show, "Green Acres". Very forgettable this.

• Aug 31, 2018

Classic movie that is a laugh a minute.

Classic movie that is a laugh a minute.

• May 30, 2018

A very misleading title and miscast Chevy Chase lead to an underwhelming movie. The film wastes Chevy Chase as a lead man and has him downplaying everything that makes him funny or interesting. The title is odd as implies it is set on a farm and is a comedy which it is neither or it is using the slang term for a mental institution, again which it is not. Chevy Chase in a straight role is not what I was expecting and the film does not serve up any laughs or anything new or interesting. The basic plot is a yuppie but likeable city couple moving into the country and realising the country is not what they expected. Similar to the money pit, with Tom Hanks but, lacking the fun and laugh out loud moments of seeing their dream and marriage fall apart around their ears along with their house. This film suffers as they don't really have much go wrong other than he has writer's block and the small town is not very friendly. The last 20 mins switches to a Christmas movie! very odd and out of place but an interesting idea. They ask the town's folk to pretend to be the 'perfect' inhibitants of a small town to sell their house as they are divorcing. Up until this point the film was all set in the summer. The couple offers the town money to be on their best behaviour when people come to see the house they are trying to sell. This leads to 20 mins in a charming Christmas setting that feels out of place with the rest of the movie but if it was expanded could have been an okay idea for a Christmas movie. At the end this is a poor comedy starring an 80s comedy icon. One you could happily avoid

• May 15, 2018

WORST MOVIE I EVER DIDN'T SEE. THIS IS THE ONLY MOVIE THAT MY WIFE ANd i ACTUALLY GAVE UP ON AND WALKED OUT OF THE THEATER.

• Apr 16, 2018

My favourite movie from my childhood. It cracks me up everytime i watch it.

My favourite movie from my childhood. It cracks me up everytime i watch it.

• Mar 30, 2018

Excellent Comedy! One of Chevy's best!

Excellent Comedy! One of Chevy's best!

• Jan 22, 2018

Forced, constipated humor does this overlong tale no favors. Given the star talent involved, between this and My Blue Heaven, I'm starting to think there's something wrong with ME!