Hud - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hud Reviews

August 14, 2017
Hud shows so much about what is wrong with the world and how people search for joy in things that can never bring them happiness.
August 4, 2017
A proto new hollywood contemporary western that acts as an uncertain bridge from an idealized past which cannot be accurately seen to an unassured future which might not be as appealing as first advertised.
½ August 4, 2017
The opening bars of Elmer Bernstein's melancholy guitar theme and James Wong Howe's exquisite black-and-white cinematography immediately put me in the mood for something special. However, Martin Ritt's version of Larry McMurtry's novel wasn't as compelling as I first hoped. Sure, Paul Newman (already a star) offers up some brash method acting as the rancher's wild son, Hud, unable or unwilling to care about anyone except himself, spending most of his time loaded and getting into trouble with other men's wives. And Melvyn Douglas (a Hollywood stalwart since the 1930s) is solid as the widower rancher who can't open his heart to his wayward son but has plenty of time for his grandson (Brandon De Wilde), who has naturally fallen under the sway of Hud. Patricia Neal won an Oscar as the worldly family maid who attracts (possibly) unwanted attention from Hud, who can't manage his impulses in an adult way. In the background, an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease threatens the ranch and the family's way of life. So, this is character-driven drama rich with conflict -- but the arc of the story (straight down) and the fact that Hud is so damned unlikeable (not even pitiful once you know his backstory) makes it hard to enjoy. The return of Bernstein's guitars at the very end, when we know Hud is lost forever, didn't quite reclaim the film for me. I could imagine a better one with a less constricted protagonist but I ain't from Texas.
½ August 2, 2017
A blistering adult western which broke ground in its depiction of an unglamorous West and in the decidedly anti-heroic nature of its lead.
½ June 30, 2017
Jesus christ, I was NOT expecting this to be so harrowingly bleak. I mean godDAMN....

Moreso than generational differences - which obviously are at play - I was so struck by how godless this movie was, especially for a cowboy flick. This goes up there in the Existential Terror genre hall of fame. Damned if you do, damned if you don't... Homer pines for a simple and beautiful life in harmony with nature. Hud - boozer, womanizer, rapist, second-hand murderer - deserves nothing and yet he gets everything.

But at the same time, every character is shown to be layered. Homer is stricken with a bad case of the stoic 'Real-Man's, denying his children emotional support and criticizing their every move. While Hud is clearly suffering from an emotional neediness he was denied his entire life. Well, like Foot in Mouth Disease, I guess at the end of the day the only true cure for any of it is a bullet in the right place. And as Lonnie so aptly says "dirt is [not] a better place than air."
March 3, 2017
Homer Bannon is an honest, hard-working, by-the-book Texas rancher. His son, Hud, is quite the opposite - amoral, unscrupulous and tending to prefer chasing married women around, rather than working on the ranch. The two are in constant conflict. Stuck between the two are Lonnie, Hud's nephew, and Alma, the Bannon's live-in housekeeper. Lonnie is a naive, impressionable young man who simultaneously idolises Hud and despises some of the things he does. Alma is constantly positive, is happy to overlook Hud's antagonism and tries to stay out of the fights. What happened to Lonnie's father, Hud's brother, hangs over the family, but nobody dares speak about it. The feud between Hud and his father comes to a head when a possible epidemic strikes their cattle herd...

Great character drama, driven by some fantastic performances. Plot is a bit of a slow-burner, though it is never dull. The interactions between the main characters drive the movie, and your engagement.

Quite powerful ending.

As mentioned, it is the performances that drive this. Three of the four main actors - Paul Newman (as Hud), Melvyn Douglas (Homer) and Patricia Neal (Alma) got Oscar nominations with Douglas and Neal picking up Oscars (for Best Supporting Actor and Actress, respectively). Paul Newman, who is superb in a rare bad guy role, missed out to Sydney Poitier in Lilies of the Field.

Brandon De Wild, the only one of the four to not get an Oscar nomination, is great as Lonnie and is unrecognisable from the irritating kid who yelled "Shane! Shane!" all the time in Shane.

How this movie didn't get nominated for the Best Picture Oscar in a year when the eventual winner was the mediocre Tom Jones, I don't know.
½ March 3, 2017
Exceptional acting; stark black and white cinematography; a bleak, sun-drenched setting - and a taut, sombre story - all adding up to one bona-fide classic. In tone, think 'Grapes of Wrath' mixed with 'The Last Picture Show.' Storytelling at its finest.
January 30, 2017
HUD
viewed on 25/7/04 (Sun)

No offence but I don't really think highly of this 1963 movie. Maybe I am just not comfortable with its 7 Oscar nominations. It is a moderate character study, not that great. Patricia Neal who has a supporting role actually won Best Actress. Paul Newman plays the usual brooding angry man in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof and Cool Hand Luke. Am I running out of things to say? Yup...

Rating: C+
½ January 12, 2017
Beautifully photographed anti-hero drama/western, with teriffic performances (peak-sexy Paul Newman and fantastically complex Patricia Neal) and some really memorable moments. It feels somehow wonderfully subversive yet also very 1960s.
December 30, 2016
Paul Newman classic!
February 19, 2016
A masterpiece.
Everything there is to say has been said about this film.
Look out for a memorable scene between Lon and his grandfather when they go to the cinema. We see them singing along to My Darling Clementine together. It's a scene of pure joy, simple yet so touching. You could find something to praise in every scene of the movie.
To be watched again and again.
January 12, 2016
Another Paul Newman triumph!
September 10, 2015
Look under the skin of the American dream and there's a dust bowl the size of Texas, where the wide open spaces still do not provide enough breathing room, where everything still feels too unbearably close.. Martin Ritt's film introduces us to a family running their own spread, cowboys all, but disease and dissatisfaction, selfishness, eat away at any semblance of decency. Newman makes his mark as the most honest soul walking and unhappy, unhappy, unhappy. Melvin Douglas and Patricia Neal are great here.
½ May 31, 2015
Martin Ritt always had a gift for directing actresses. And, with Patricia Neal, he was directing one of the best. Throw Paul Newman and Brandon De Wilde into the mix and you get pure cinematic magic.
May 19, 2015
It's a decent film with nice performances, production design, and cinematography
February 17, 2015
Fantastic script, from a Larry McMurtry novel, and Paul Newman's never been better.
½ February 7, 2015
Newman is amazing, the photography is beautiful. You can see the dawn of the 70s cinema here.