Jason and the Argonauts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jason and the Argonauts Reviews

½ March 24, 2017
It is hard to put down the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia for this one. The acting is as stiff as the Talos and the dialogue fairly dire, but this is all put to one side when Ray Harryhausen's creations appear. A lot of fun for fans of the swords and sandals genre of the early 1960s and anyone else who can get into the spirit of things.
March 4, 2017
does this one have the sword fighting skeletons?
½ February 18, 2017
Without this film, there probably wouldn't have been STAR WARS for all we know. The AT-AT Walkers for instance may have been partially inspired by this film.

Basically, you subtract the original trilogy and this is quite easily one of the most spectacular special FX movies of all time (back during the era especially). With incredible stop-motion cinematography done by the one and only Ray Harryhausen, the creatures and villans depicted in this film fit nicely with their movements compared to other stop-motion FX films. I didn't get a ton out of this film at first, but as I got to know Harryhausen thereafter, it became clear that stop-motion mixed with real life was more common and popular then I had thought (the 1933 King Kong is another such example). An epic mythological film overall.
½ February 10, 2017
Boldness accomplished.
February 6, 2017
one of the best harryhausen's visual works but damn the movie is pretty shitty yo.
October 14, 2016
A classic that I loved as a kid. Special effects for the day were amazing.
October 13, 2016
Lots better than I expected. In Cult Movies, Danny Peary nails the theme: "man must fend for himself whether the gods exist or not." Makes me laugh when he points out how Hera's vague clues totally spell out what's coming. And naturally, most of his essay is about the special effects, which I really liked because the art to them was apparent rather than totally realistic.
September 1, 2016
You want a film on Greec mythology, this is one to see, it's pretty impressive, it's colorful and just good. Although Jason may look like the main thing, the guy that actually really owns this flick is Ray Harryhausen and his great stop-motion effects, this has to be some of his best. They may look outdated, but they still have their charm. It must've taken a lot of work to accomplish it, but in the end, it's a classic. Recommended !!
August 21, 2016
Despite being a victim of its time, I found myself absolutely falling in love with Jason and the Argonauts. Just like other movies of older decades, if you can keep things in perspective and remind yourself that this was made in 1963 and not 2013, you might find yourself enjoying it just as much as I did. Some of the things that I found wrong with the film end up being another selling point. For example, the special effects are extremely cheesy, however they are great for the time. If I was watching this in 1963, I would have been the guy asking, "How in the world did that guy just transform into Hermes like that? How did they make Jason just disappear in smoke?"

The movie doesn't overdo itself as it ends about twenty minutes earlier than where it could have stopped. You see what you need to see while other things are merely implied. Just like in The Dark Knight Rises where you know Christian Bale ends up happily ever after with Anne Hathaway, you know exactly what's going to happen when Jason gets his hands on that golden fleece. The film takes you on a good ride then drops you off at just the right place.

Jason and the Argonauts does a great job of taking itself seriously which can be hard to do when dealing in the fantasy genre at times. As much as I thoroughly enjoyed it, I do have to address one scene that made me roll my eyes a bit however. Towards the end of the movie, King Aeetes is chasing Jason and his remaining argonauts as they are fleeing. They come to a cliffside where King Aeetes does this long speech then releases demons from the underwold or something of that nature. There was a long pause, maybe like ten or fifteen seconds, where Jason is just standing there watching things unfold and I'm thinking, "Seriously? You've run from all the other dangers up to this point and NOW you want to sit around and wait?" Pretty small in the grand scheme of the movie but it annoyed me nonetheless.

Jason and the Argonauts is the story of a man who goes on a great adventure for a powerful artifact so he can get revenge for the murder of his father and take his rightful place as king. A great movie to cut your teeth on if you are trying to expand your movie culture beyond the last three decades. I give it a well-deserved 99.
½ August 12, 2016
A perfect vehicle for Visual Effects master Ray Harryhausen hot off his success from the 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

The story of Greek Myths & Fantasy Creatures the plot is surprisingly solid but the film lags in the mid section.

Some extraordinary visual concepts most notable is the dead skeletons coming to life. An entertaining Mythic Epic with some great effects.
½ July 17, 2016
Jason and the Argonauts may be slightly light on character, but it's heavy on scope and scale, and most of all, heavy on fun. Director Don Chaffney delivers an absolutely marvelous (in the most literal meaning of the word) sword-and-sandal epic that tells the ever famous tale of Jason and his crew of Argonauts on a journey to find the legendary Golden Fleece. The film features fine performances from the likes of Todd Armstrong (with credit to Tim Turner for dub work), Nancy Kovack, and Honor Blackman, but the real star here is Ray Harryhausen and his legendary visual effects. The film's notable for its visuals for a reason: from the mammoth Talos to the multi-headed Hydra to the skeleton warriors of the finale, Harryhausen's stop-motion effects often blend seamlessly into the film (especially the skeleton scene), and are rightfully some of the best visual effects in cinematic history. The production design is gorgeous, with large setpieces taking place in natural environments, and Bernard Herrmann's bombastic, brass-heavy score (a nice change of pace from his string-oriented Psycho score) only adds to the epic nature of the film: from the opening notes of the prelude, you immediately know the tone and what you're in for. It's a classic that shouldn't be missed.
July 13, 2016
Jason and the Argonauts has unappealing, not great human characters and weaker acting, but everything else is great with absolutely superb special effects work from Ray Harryhausen as the movie is truly groundbreaking visually as all of the creatures look great. The mythology is also wonderfully utilized, the film always looks good, it is consistently riveting and exciting to watch while also being adventurous and intriguing at times and it thoroughly succeeds as a fantasy flick.
½ June 27, 2016
I had actually never seen this one before, and enjoyed it. The film is cheesy, but has a certain charm, and I loved the stop-motion artistry of Ray Harryhausen. A great movie to watch on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Check it out!
½ April 12, 2016
A strangely made film with amazing visuals that look great and make this movie great.
February 21, 2016
This movie came out even befor my father was born, and yet, it is done in an outstanding way. It will entertain you througout and impress with it's practical and visual effects.
½ December 29, 2015
Total crap. Waste of film.
½ December 21, 2015
This movie is about the Greek myth of the same name, with a few artistic liberties taken here and there. It is a large-scale effort, with lots of characters, great costumes and impressive special effects.
December 11, 2015
Great movie to catch up on.
½ December 7, 2015
Kind of a silly little movie when you get down to it.
½ September 20, 2015
Probably the best Ray Harryhausen movie and one I grew up watching as a kid. The plot is paper thin and the movie ends abruptly (was there supposed to be a sequel?), but you only watch this movie for the special effects. The stop-motion is some of the best that has ever been done. Ever. The skeleton fight at the end of the movie is one of the greatest scenes in cinema history, and has inspired countless filmmakers.

There were plenty of other movies of this caliber at the time, but as said before, this isn't about the plot. It's all about the special effects and the last twenty minutes or so.

(though I wish they would have at least had Jason return to Greece)