King Kong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Kong Reviews

October 9, 2016
Visually thrilling, masterful special effects, King Kong could pass as an movie twenty years from its time.
September 25, 2016
Best there is in the giant ape vs New York category.
August 20, 2016
This is the only King Kong movie worth seeing in my opinion. Yes it is incredibly dated but for a film made in 1933 it's so watchable. The effects are excellent for their time, an excellent display of stop motion. The storyline is simple but very effective, you genuinely do care about Kong as it progresses.
July 28, 2016
The things they had to do to create the illusion of the actors interacting with the creatures result in something excellent. The stop-motion work, especially the memorable scenes such as the bloody Kong vs. T-Rex battle and the final Empire State Building scene are remembered and rightfully commended. Thanks to the work of Willis O Brien's stop-motion animation and Meridian C. Cooper's innovative direction, we can look at this with wild eyes as either a casual audience or a critic. It could be considered either a kick-ass monster movie or a ambitious, well-made masterpiece.
July 23, 2016
This movie still holds up tremendously today. Even if the effects are outdated, they are timely. They add a unique touch and pull it all together.
June 9, 2016
One of my favourite movies as a child and one of my favourites now. Love it till the day I die
May 5, 2016
The classic adventure film that set the bar for all films that followed.keep Kong alive!
Antonius Block
½ March 31, 2016
There are several things that could be ridiculed about this movie - the stop-motion special effects of course, though they were state of the art for their day, the stereotypical natives (and Chinese cook), and besides all that, Fay Wray's goofy reaction when she's told by a sailor he loves her (my goodness on the acting, take a look at it someday).

There are also definite racial overtones to the movie. It's as if Kong is just a giant version of one of the 'black savages' on the island. He has a forbidden love for a white woman. Captured, he is taken back to America, where he'll make the white men rich, so long as he is in chains. Set loose, he rampages through New York violently. Clearly, he would have been better off left back in the jungle where he belongs.

However, forgiving the movie a bit, it's still quite compelling because of its action sequences. Cooper and Schoedsack tell a taut story with the right blend of build-up and action, and make the island far more interesting by having it full of dangers besides Kong himself. The pursuers are attacked by a stegosaurus (which they somewhat comically shoot the hell out of), and later a sauropod in the sea, which overturns their raft and chomps a couple of them (apparently the filmmakers were unaware of these dinosaurs being herbivores). Kong himself has to battle a Tyrannosaurus Rex, a giant snake (which fantastically wraps around his neck), and a pterodactyl trying to make off with Fay Wray. Who can forget him killing the T-Rex by bending its jaw and neck back until their broken? Or turning the log bridge around to shake men off, sending them plummeting to their death? Or reaching his paw down into the cave, trying to catch a guy who has made his way down there? (the guy, by the way, has to cut a rope to save himself from a lizard creeping up from below at the same time).

There is plenty of violence that must have been shocking in its day. Kong literally stomps on natives and crushes a few people in his mouth. He also drops a woman out of a skyscraper after determining she's not Fay Wray and discards her. As for some sex to go with that violence, Fay Wray provides it with a braless scene on the boat, her legs wriggling after Kong has partially undressed her, and a split-second wardrobe malfunction after she plummets into the water while escaping him. I'm not sure I buy the Empire State Building being a giant phallic symbol though.

This is a movie that stands the test of time, despite how dated the effects are. They have campy appeal, and are still somehow cool. We feel Kong's pain as he's chained, and empathize with him as the airplanes swoop in at the end. This is a beauty and the beast type film, but I don't think it was beauty that truly killed the beast, as the movie's last line states, I think it was all those guys with their guns and greed.
March 28, 2016
The is a monster movie classic. It is a most see. See all the sequels and remakes. This is the most of the King Kong movie. And there are all great movies. This movie is very scary. It is a classic
March 7, 2016
The best of all the King Kong movies. All these years later, this still holds up as high caliber and still entertaining movie.
February 13, 2016
Tremendous movie and a true classic of the cinema.
½ January 21, 2016
Big ape, little disappointments.

I can forgive the dated graphics, but I can't forgive the mediocre dialogue, the overuse of stock screams, the mediocre acting, or the ignorance of basic dinosaur knowledge (namely, the preferred diet of the Brontosaurus). Also, is Ann Darrow the most useless character to ever grace the screen? Does she do anything other than faint and scream? While it isn't completely unenjoyable, it has nothing special going for it either.
January 2, 2016
The one, the only, the best, ageless perfection.made in 1932. Simply great.
December 31, 2015
A Masterpiece that's a treasure and a true wonder to the world
December 7, 2015
A terrific masterpiece of cinema, one of the best giant monster movies ever !! The special effects by Willis O Brien are, for today's standards, pretty cluncky, but back then it must have been amazingly good. The film actors are all very good and likeable and the movie itself is very intrestesting and entertaining. Recommended !!
Steve Grady
½ November 16, 2015
"King Kong" is an very entertaining action and adventure film. "King Kong" has pretty good acting mostly from "Fay Wray", "Robert Armstrong" and "Frank Reicher". "King Kong" has some of cinema's best thrilling music of all time. Finally "King Kong" does not have the best special effects, but the special effects of this movie are still okay to today's standards. "King Kong" will always remain a classic action/adventure film. And I will recommend this to anyone who likes classics. I give "King Kong" a 8.5/10.
October 9, 2015
Let me just say... there is a reason this is a classic. I love this film.
½ October 8, 2015
The special effects of King Kong run the risk of seeming quaint today, but under the film's sensationalist exterior beats the heart of a true pioneer.
September 18, 2015
This is by far my favorite film of all time. Truly amazing special effects, great sets, and wonderful acting.