The Lion in Winter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lion in Winter Reviews

July 7, 2017
Playwright James Goldman's medieval circus of patricide, treason, sodomy and incest taking place one Christmas Eve at Chinon 1183 seethes with malevolent colloquies and blistering theatrics.
June 30, 2017
imho, as unpleasant as Taming of the Shrew, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, & Family Feud. This is one of the most dysfunctional family portrayals. Arguing, bickering, hating. this is movie version of a play. Anthony Hopkins surprising as Richard (the Lion Heart), having had a young gay relationship with Timothy Dalton as new King of France. This was a epic movie, but now i watch it for first time on tv 7-2017. I thot I knew this. But it is NOT Man for Al Seasons. so unpleasant
February 23, 2017
Good acting and intelligible story, but just too much back and forth between characters' states of mind. At a certain point the performances can't even make those bipolar shifts believable. And they're not believable even for a dysfunctional family. Nonetheless there's plenty of memorable dialogue and the movie keeps you wondering rooting and admiring the old lion played by Peter O'Toole.
December 22, 2016
awesome performance one of my all time favorite movies
½ November 20, 2016
4 1/2 Stars. One hell of a film. The dialogue and performances are top notch. Very over the top and fantastic.
April 11, 2016
With an amazing screenplay, excellent score, great visuals, absolutely magnificent dialogue with many quotable lines and such a great humor, The Lion in Winter also has great Peter O'Toole and just fantastic Katharine Hepburn who gave one of the best performances ever in a film. It is a historical film, but above all a perfect family drama with such a strong relationship as the center of it. It is also very emotional, so powerful to watch and it has many unforgettable scenes in it. It is so well written, so admirable in every way and it is one of the greatest films of the 1960s and a masterpiece by all means.
April 5, 2016
The general reviews of this film speak mostly of its witty screenplay, but I'm not sure where this witty screenplay was the whole movie. What I saw instead was a sort of medieval "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" people melodramatically mad at each other movie. I was bored to tears.
½ February 19, 2016
The Lion in Winter depicts the intrigues and machinations of British royalty with a witty and poignant script that rises on the knockout performances from Peter O'Toole and Katharine Hepburn.
December 27, 2015
One of the best period films we've seen in our household.
December 21, 2015
Lion in Winter's amazing script properly won the Oscar. No, there is no war, and the time is based during Christmas. Katherine Hepburn's performance is probably her strongest and John Barry is wise in when to apply music and when not to. A must-watch, especially for history geeks. Lion in Winter is one of the most quoted films of all time.
October 26, 2015
One of the wittiest scripts ever written, The Lion in Winter is an unbelievably entertaining period piece thanks to yet another incredible John Barry score, two vicious and unyielding performances by Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole and an excellent breakthrough by Anthony Hopkins
October 11, 2015
One of my favorites.
August 7, 2015
Excellent movie with a star studded cast
August 1, 2015
Yes it is sharper and wittier than your average period piece and it is worth the watch, but the ending sucks.
½ March 1, 2015
Great work of acting from Hepburn (and a wild head dress) and O'Toole with great supporting performances from John Castle, Jane Merrow, and Anthony Hopkins in his screen debut. Great costumes, music, production design, and writing.
December 25, 2014
The ultimate Christmas Movie
½ December 5, 2014
Consistently feels more like a family drama (albeit a well-written one) than a Henry Plantagenet biopic. And boy does it plod along...
November 30, 2014
Enjoyable drama with legendary Hepburn and Peter O'Toole (my boys are gone). Acting is over the top.
November 21, 2014