Poltergeist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Poltergeist Reviews

½ October 26, 2016
TV people who have penetrated this plane and for some reason don't know they are dead?...That's called Carol Ann's lobotomy.
½ October 21, 2016
A fantastic ghost movie. It may be cheesy at times but, still manages to be great. Probably the best ghost movie ever made. Has a great soundtrack, I just couldn't believe that this was done by the guy who did "The Texas Chainsaw Massacare"." One bad thing in this movie is the cheesy use of animation. It was the 1980's I bet they could think of something better then that to use. Overall I Deffinetly recommended this movie.
October 16, 2016
A class of 80s horror, Poltergeist gives Goosebumps to all ages!
October 5, 2016
Yikes! I'm thankful that I don't live in a house that was built on an Indian burial ground!
½ October 2, 2016
Amazing directing great performances written perfectly some fun dialogue some amazing sequences creepy tone perfectly paced very intense ending was little unexpected
September 18, 2016
This is it only the best horror films even made, but also one of the best films full stop.
August 28, 2016
Good effects, not scary. Mom is hot
August 23, 2016
This movie is entertaining, terrifying and awesome, with skeleton props being real rotting corpses that were just lying around in the ground, a plot that has been shamelessly copied way too many times, and of course, no jumpscares, a trope many horror films these days believe is the be all end all of their movie, and also it was likely directed mostly by Steven Spielberg, something most of the cast back up.
August 18, 2016
A classic haunted house movie, one of the major ones to see. It's a good movie, with good acters and remarkable special effects, although I didn't find it as scary as others have said it to be. But still, it doesn't get much better when a film is directed by Tobe Hooper and written by Steven Spielberg. Recommended !!
½ August 13, 2016
love all the poltergeist movies.
August 10, 2016
Doesn't hold up 34 years later.
August 7, 2016
I bought the new edition of "Poltergeist" on DVD today and I feel this film is still as good today and it was in the 80's. The family is awesome. They did a perfect job casting the family. I also love Zelda Rubinstein's scene steeling scenes as Tangina. I read that Beatrice Straight was going to be in "Poltergist II," instead of Zelda, but I loved Zelda much better. I also love the "Poltergist" sequels. If this film is remade, I hope that Tobe Hooper is involved and they consider using Zelda Rubinstein as Tangina.
August 1, 2016
Although the film doesn't do much for suspense, the special effects we good for its time. However as a story, the film didn't do the script much justice as Spielberg was more concerned about his recognized style of movie making rather than making the film more desirable to the supernatural genre. He does however somewhat pull it off as making it into a decent film.
½ July 25, 2016
I enjoy watching the original poltergeist so much,
This can definitely scare audiences in a cinema,
I really love all of these special effects in separate places,
I love how the story works, They Try and Get their young daughter out of the Tv because she has been trapped in before.
As most people like to think Visual Effects are getting better and CGI is getting worse now of days, But since they didn't use any CGI this movie would be the perfect horror.

Score: 9.5/10
July 15, 2016
Thanks to Hooper, Spielberg and the beautiful special effects, "Poltergeist" is a horror classic.
May 22, 2016
Definitely a horror classic, and much weirder than it gets credit for. Poltergeist takes bizarre turns with its subject matter, conjuring child-eating trees and closets that turn into portals to other dimensions. The story is strong, the performances are consistently good, and the poltergeist itself is one of the most inscrutably insane adversaries of any horror movie I've ever seen. If you go into this movie while knowing as little as possible about it, it will definitely surprise you.

That said, the film suffers from special effects that were spectacular at the time but have not aged well. It is also, as many others have pointed out, a victim of Spielberg's influence and in particular his "cuteness curse." While the sweetness of some of the film can provide a powerful contrast to the much darker scenes, it also tends to break the sustained tension that is so crucial to good horror.

In essence, it's a good film and no doubt a horror classic, but it has some flaws that relegate it to a lesser classic by some standards. A great movie if you want to scare the crap out of your kids but aren't ready to go "Full-Exorcist" yet, and definitely a must-see for any horror fan.
May 2, 2016
Iconic, ground-breaking & above all genuinely frightening. One of the ultimate classics of horror that redefined the whole horror-ghost-at-home-story film genre & has stood the test of time despite countless rip-offs, parodies, 2 abysmal sequels (let's just forget about them) & a dreadful remake. A rare horror film that offers a heartfelt story of a struggling family with smarts, laughs & plenty of frights. And let's be honest, it's one of the very few scary movies from the early 80s that can still be watched today (30+yrs later) & enjoyed just as much as a decent modern film.
April 13, 2016
So my daughter watched the 2015 remake of this movie and asked, why do people think this is scary? I told her, it was the crappie remKe they were talking about. It was this... the original. A classic build of genuine suspense & tension, turned into authentic scary moments. This is when they did it right. Practical effects, good story telling & dialogue.
March 21, 2016
I believe I would've enjoyed this film much more if it was the first (or one of the first) haunted house/poltergeist type movies that I've seen . And I believe the reason this film is held with such high acclaim is because it was one of the pioneers in the genre. The movie is very well made and has subtle commentaries throughout (which I'll leave to the objective viewer to find out). It is not a dumb movie, while it is still simple enough. The performances were excellent across the board, but especially in JoBeth Williams, Heather O'Rourke, & Craig T. Nelson's characters. In fact, all of the characters were likable and the camaraderie seemed palpable. The visual effects ranged from decent to pretty strong given the year it was made. The plot is great and transcends to deeper territory when Beatrice Straight and Zelda Rubinstein's characters give hefty monologues about afterlife and how this whole ghostly catastrophe can be solved. The film provides chills, but is not terrifying. Poltergeist's slow start is exceedingly enjoyable and promising, but the finale is a tad overblown. Definitely worth seeing, but go in with a clear & open mind.