Poltergeist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Poltergeist Reviews

May 24, 2017
Problems insue for a family who built a housing development on an old burial ground.
May 17, 2017
So many pop culture references come from just this movie and Family Guy parodies it in an entire episode. What a great movie! I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

The visuals and effects are very eye-catching and the movie is kind of thought-provoking. The actors have this fun chemistry and connection with one another that makes you keep watching. Definitely will re-watch it!
May 14, 2017
Not very scary, but well made and unlike any other horror film I've ever seen before. I really felt the film missed a few opportunities to heighten the suspense and tension, but there was still plenty in the final product. The acting is all very good, even from the kids, which is rare from so many child actors in one film. The last 20 minutes didn't work as well for me as much as the rest of the film, but it was far from bad. Overall, this is something very unique and I can say I enjoyed it
March 4, 2017
10 out of 10:

Great special effects, creepy imagery, and smart writing, Poltergeist makes one memorable horror film.
½ February 22, 2017
childhood memory of this scary movie haunts me. It's not as scary as it was, but still a well made story.
½ February 18, 2017
Even though I still ever-so-slightly prefer the 2015 remake, Poltergeist offers up some decent scares and a storyline that keeps you watching. Also, this has one of the most hilarious endings in movie history, even though it's not laugh-out-loud funny.
December 15, 2016
It's a real testament to the talents of the cast that they managed not to be completely upstaged by the special effects, most of which still stand up very well today. Good story, great characters and a lot of spine-tingling fun.
December 11, 2016
Poltergeist may be a bit unvelievable for adult viewers, but it is clever, organized and, of course, tention-packed. Thanks to Tobe Hooper'direction and Steven Spielberg production, this film becomes a modern classsic.
November 28, 2016
Poltergeist is the one 80's film that stands out as unique and clever and is not afraid to reveal itself as horrifying
½ November 23, 2016
A genuine treat that overstays its welcome.
½ November 9, 2016
2.47 --- A classic 80's horror movie, but with less than stellar directing. The acting is pretty flat throughout. Story is extremely clunky. Writing is subpar. Overall a disappointing movie.
October 30, 2016
It was a lot better than I expected it would be. Not scary at all to me, but it was still visually interesting.
October 30, 2016
The special effects were amazing for the time.
½ October 30, 2016
Contains the Spielberg charm (since he totally directed it) and the little-seen Spielberg terror. Quite frightening in places even for an adult.
October 29, 2016
Scary, brilliantly filmed, boasting some good 1980's-esque special effects and having great performances from Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams, Poltergeist not only remains a horror classic even to this day, but it's also an ideal film to recommend for someone when they're looking for a good horror film to watch.
½ October 21, 2016
A fantastic ghost movie. It may be cheesy at times but, still manages to be great. Probably the best ghost movie ever made. Has a great soundtrack, I just couldn't believe that this was done by the guy who did "The Texas Chainsaw Massacare"." One bad thing in this movie is the cheesy use of animation. It was the 1980's I bet they could think of something better then that to use. Overall I Deffinetly recommended this movie.
October 16, 2016
A class of 80s horror, Poltergeist gives Goosebumps to all ages!
October 5, 2016
Yikes! I'm thankful that I don't live in a house that was built on an Indian burial ground!
½ October 2, 2016
Amazing directing great performances written perfectly some fun dialogue some amazing sequences creepy tone perfectly paced very intense ending was little unexpected