Scanners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scanners Reviews

April 23, 2017
Scanners is a cool old horror film about a drug that made a generation of psychics. My favorite part is when the guys head explodes. And the psychic battle at the end was cool.
April 21, 2017
This Movie Turned 34 Years Old In 2015.
February 28, 2017
Scanners: B+
In my humble opinion, one of the most underrated horror films of the great 80's. Though Scanners does get recognition for its premise and complementary head exploding scene, the film does have more to offer. There exists a decent story line and a comingling of several great topics like governmental/big corporate conspiracy, world domination, the acceptance of skills bestowed, sibling rivalries and more. Horror movies and comedies are generally subjective. Either you relate or you don't. In both cases, over analyzing the film's methods become its undoing, and ultimately disrupts the sensations conveyed.
Sure, Cronenberg stumbled through this one with some great concepts paired with limited resources. I think with today's technology, 2017, a remake could prove most successful! Maybe it's just me, but I feel this movie really captured the true essence of creepy. I can guarantee that everyone watching, at least for a singular moment in their life, tried to make something happen by the power of suggestion. I can also guarantee, during your viewing, you thought of one person you'd like to scan the crap out of. Maybe Rhonda Bryrne can star in the re-make? The score was perfectly irritating and played well to ensure migraines and nose bleeds.
In any event, Stephen Lack's character, Cameron Vale, really pulled you in as an unstable and unsure recipient of such a blessed gift. Nonetheless, Lack lacked in just about every aspect except creepiness, but more in the pedophile forced to work at a day camp against their will way. Michael Ironside was certainly free of oxidation in his portrayal of the evil Daryl Revok and I believe the polarization in performances between he and Lack may have actually drawn an even greater spotlight upon Lack's limits and ultimately created even weaker optics around the film. Overall, this one goes on my shelf proudly next to The Dead Zone, Gymkata, Communion, Kill and Kill Again, and Something Evil This Way Comes.
Ephemerol Side Effects: Mind blowing...
½ February 5, 2017
This movie gave me some enjoyable thrills. The atmosphere and practical effects are great...
February 4, 2017
I don't think I'd seen this film since the days of VHS and I was quite surprised what a good film this was. In my mind, I'd lumped this film with writer/director David Cronenberg's other early films, like "Rabid" or "The Brood," which were interesting and smartly off-beat genre films, but nowhere as great as his later films. Even though his earlier films may not have been his best, Cronenberg has been thematically very consistent throughout his career and "Scanners" too taps into his favorite psychological themes and his obsession with body transformation. As with most of his films, he explores these themes through science fiction and/or horror stories, and "Scanners" is not an exception, although I do feel this film was a bit more action/suspense oriented than as much of an arthouse/genre mash-up of his other films. The story follows a private security firm using telekinetics (scanners) to battle a renegade scanner who has a mysterious plan. Michael Ironside memorably plays the lead bad scanner. Patrick McGoohan plays the leader of the private security firm who's lost all of his scanners and is forced to fine one to help him stop Ironside. On the surface level, the film is an exciting (and gory) thriller, but on the subtextual level it does delve into some of Cronenberg's personal obsessions, but not quite as deeply as some of the best films ("Dead Ringers" is his best). Like most of Cronenberg's films, they likely will not appeal to a wide audience (they're too gory and weird for the art house crowd and they're also too offbeat and "artsy" for the gorehound horror crowd), but if you're in that sweet spot that enjoys literate horror and science fiction, this is one you don't want to miss.
January 28, 2017
one of the better '80's horror films
January 11, 2017
A veiled critique of the dangers of private production.
At times boring but often creepy and captivating.
December 30, 2016
Scanners is a movie that is as every bit about exploding conventions as it is about exploding heads. It isn't as slick as modern movie mayhem, but it is sure as hell a lot more interesting. It has a man who literally lives within his own head...or at least within a living room shaped after his own head. If it isn't quite at the level of Mr. C's The Fly, it is damnably close! Like The Fly it is a metaphor for what we are becoming as a technological species...for better or for worse.
November 28, 2016
La finale elle seule vaut le visionnement
November 21, 2016
David Cronenberg's 1981 film about a group of telekinetic outcasts who face off against each other and the drug companies that helped create them. It is a really entertaining sci-fi/fantasy/mystery film...with great old practical effects and an intriguing plot to try and follow. Even though I thought the lead character was kind of drab, the rest of the cast and the movie around him made up for his shortcomings. Definitely a worthwhile watch.
November 20, 2016
I consider "Scanners" as David Cronenberg's version of a superhero film. One of the things I love about this film is that Cronenberg takes a fairly familiar idea, which is telepathy, and creates something wholly original and totally exciting. I found myself engaged in the story and believed in the characters, and I had a lot of fun watching it. It's pretty awesome.
½ September 19, 2016
(2.5 stars)
When I heard this was where people make others heads explode through telekinetic powers, I was sold. Disappointingly it only happened once but there are a fair amount of disturbingly good practical effects while the sci-fi horror premise undoubtedly remains an intriguing one throughout. There is just not enough ambition in its plot development and set-pieces for it to become a classic in my eyes.
July 28, 2016
I can't stop staring at Ironside's head..
Film C.
½ June 25, 2016
Excellent story-line and I wished it should have more to it.
½ May 27, 2016
You wanna see a head exploding? Scanners has the best and most gruesome head explosion EVER! The film itself looks very dated nowadays, and the performances... well, they're just average.
May 24, 2016
Watching this I try to imagine Cronenberg's directing his lead actors: "I need you to look as if you're trying to blow somebody's head off ... by only thinking about it." I try to imagine his actors processing that direction: "What exactly does THAT look like? What does this guy want?" All about big government conspiracy, and the rebellion against that, this is some big fun if you can get over the age of the work.
April 23, 2016
A pretty good sci fi horror cult flick, by legendary cult movie maker, David Cronenberg. At the beginning, you don't really get what's happening and it can feel really long, but once I understood the plot and the gore started to come in, things got nice. For a modest budget, the acting is really strong and the characters are all well developed and likeable. And you just gotta love those campy blood effects. A well developed story ! Recommended !!
April 10, 2016
Cronenberg works best when given an atmosphere and a grand idea he can maintain throughout an entire movie. Scanners is an odd case where he had those two elements going into the movie but the production held him back from achieving what should have ben much better.
April 8, 2016
Great ideas, but plodding and ultimately not that engaging.