Scanners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scanners Reviews

January 11, 2017
A veiled critique of the dangers of private production.
At times boring but often creepy and captivating.
December 30, 2016
Scanners is a movie that is as every bit about exploding conventions as it is about exploding heads. It isn't as slick as modern movie mayhem, but it is sure as hell a lot more interesting. It has a man who literally lives within his own head...or at least within a living room shaped after his own head. If it isn't quite at the level of Mr. C's The Fly, it is damnably close! Like The Fly it is a metaphor for what we are becoming as a technological species...for better or for worse.
November 28, 2016
La finale elle seule vaut le visionnement
November 21, 2016
David Cronenberg's 1981 film about a group of telekinetic outcasts who face off against each other and the drug companies that helped create them. It is a really entertaining sci-fi/fantasy/mystery film...with great old practical effects and an intriguing plot to try and follow. Even though I thought the lead character was kind of drab, the rest of the cast and the movie around him made up for his shortcomings. Definitely a worthwhile watch.
November 20, 2016
I consider "Scanners" as David Cronenberg's version of a superhero film. One of the things I love about this film is that Cronenberg takes a fairly familiar idea, which is telepathy, and creates something wholly original and totally exciting. I found myself engaged in the story and believed in the characters, and I had a lot of fun watching it. It's pretty awesome.
½ September 19, 2016
(2.5 stars)
When I heard this was where people make others heads explode through telekinetic powers, I was sold. Disappointingly it only happened once but there are a fair amount of disturbingly good practical effects while the sci-fi horror premise undoubtedly remains an intriguing one throughout. There is just not enough ambition in its plot development and set-pieces for it to become a classic in my eyes.
July 28, 2016
I can't stop staring at Ironside's head..
July 24, 2016
1931's Frankenstein Is One Of My Favorite Films.
Film C.
½ June 25, 2016
Excellent story-line and I wished it should have more to it.
½ May 27, 2016
You wanna see a head exploding? Scanners has the best and most gruesome head explosion EVER! The film itself looks very dated nowadays, and the performances... well, they're just average.
May 24, 2016
Watching this I try to imagine Cronenberg's directing his lead actors: "I need you to look as if you're trying to blow somebody's head off ... by only thinking about it." I try to imagine his actors processing that direction: "What exactly does THAT look like? What does this guy want?" All about big government conspiracy, and the rebellion against that, this is some big fun if you can get over the age of the work.
April 23, 2016
A pretty good sci fi horror cult flick, by legendary cult movie maker, David Cronenberg. At the beginning, you don't really get what's happening and it can feel really long, but once I understood the plot and the gore started to come in, things got nice. For a modest budget, the acting is really strong and the characters are all well developed and likeable. And you just gotta love those campy blood effects. A well developed story ! Recommended !!
April 10, 2016
Cronenberg works best when given an atmosphere and a grand idea he can maintain throughout an entire movie. Scanners is an odd case where he had those two elements going into the movie but the production held him back from achieving what should have ben much better.
April 8, 2016
Great ideas, but plodding and ultimately not that engaging.
February 21, 2016
Gore abound and while an interesting concept it is very slow going!
February 5, 2016
One of David Cronenberg's more critically acclaimed films, Scanners sounded like an engaging horror experience.

Clearly a low-budget film, Scanners uses a very small collection of settings as a front for its story. Scanners attempts to create a claustrophobic feeling of paranoia with its small settings in an attempt to convey to audiences the state of mind the characters are constantly in, but it is only sporadically successful. The man clearly has a talent for crafting atmosphere which he does through mostly the manipulation of sound effects and Howard Shore's subtle but timely musical score, but there is only so much success this can achieve when the story is not up to par. More of the time, the small scale settings just reinforce the low-budget nature of the film and little else which helps to ensure that the limitations of the film are made abundantly clear. But really, the fault lies far more in the narrative than in the technical side of the film.
Relying more on the general concept of its story than the overall content, it's difficult to establish much of a narrative in Scanners. It's clear that David Cronenberg has good ideas with his film, but actually finding something sensible to do with them seems to prove a challenge for the director. The man has a legacy for crafting self-indulgent and convoluted narratives, and within the limitations of a small-scale story he still manages to do just that by making his feature too philosophical rather than being actually narrative-driven. There is no story that actually gets built in Scanners, just a lot of convoluted ideals loosely strung together into a path through the twisted mind of David Cronenberg. It ultimately proved too elusive to me, and even though there was a pace that should have been slow enough for me to comprehend things, it just gave me more of an opportunity to mourn the time I was wasting by watching the film. I couldn't follow what was happening, understand the themes or even decipher the elements of deadpan comedy that recur within David Cronenberg films. Since the spent most of his time actually writing the script between 4 and 7 AM on shooting days it is clear that he didn't have a clear-cut narrative before entering production, and it really shows because the dialogue seems to loosely weave in and out of different concepts without consistently remaining focused on any in particular. There are so many characters in Scanners. While the film could have been a tale of war between protagonist Cameron Vale and antagonist Darryl Revok fighting on opposite sides of the Scanner battle as well as what it genuinely meant to be on either side of the fight, but the film instead manages to cut through countless characters even within such a limited quantity of settings to end up way too scattered for its own good.
Scanners is a film which just didn't make sense to me, and the lack of production design or interesting characters left me not caring enough to follow it. Scanners has the potential to truly be something clever, but it does little to support to complex universe that it implies. With minimal contributions to the production design or use of the admittedly impressive special effects, there are few visual traits that actually support the implied narrative. With the high-profile subject matter of people with exceptional powers, Scanners cleverly uses this plot point as a non-visual element and relies on the actors and sound effects to convey them. The physical performances of the actors manage to work and the musical score is intense as is the screeching sound effects which manage to moderate themselves fairly without going into excess, but ultimately it doesn't serve to supply enough narrative value to keep the experience engaging. The man clearly has an eye for imagery and ensures that the cinematography is steady enough to capture everything well enough within its confined setting, but the confines of the production limitations stand in the way of Scanners achieving true greatness with its ambition.
However, as with any David Cronenberg film, Scanners does not hold back with its violence. There are explosions, fires and gunshots coming out of nowhere in Scanners which ensures that at the least the film is some kind of a meandering spectacle. The highlight comes from the iconic scene at the beginning where one of the characters has his head explode in a moment of merciless blood and gore. Displaying the kind of visual brilliance which would later win an Academy Award for Best Makeup in David Cronenberg's The Fly (1986), Chris Walas manages to create some occasional moments of visual brilliance in his depiction of violence. His contributions to Scanners prove to be the greatest thing that anyone adds to the film, and the special effects he handles ensures that what little imagery is memorable from Scanners is thanks to him.
When it comes to performances it is hardly likely that viewers would have heard of nearly any actors in Scanners, but what's more challenging is remembering the actual performances of any of them. Succumbing to essentially a B-movie standard of acting when it comes to line delivery and character development, and though they manage to deliver an intense physical portrayal of the Scanner powers which works in tune with the sound effects of the film, their line delivery fails to illuminate any character depth. Michael Ironside manages to be the one minor standout amid all this due to both his impressive physicality and the way he projects psychotic antagonism in the role of Darryl Revok. He offers an engaging level of tension in his performance by really embracing the powers he is given, and it peaks during the climax of the film before he completely loses himself in the character.

Scanners offers some entertaining moments of special effects thanks to the work of Chris Walas, but with David Cronenberg's stereotypically convoluted style of narrative held back by a limited budget, Scanners fails to realize its potential and settles for repetitive and confusing philosophy rather than a genuine story.
January 16, 2016
Amazing film by Cronenberg that explores the relationship between mind and body, the possibility of human evolution and mutation and its implications for society.
December 27, 2015
David Cronenberg is an angry weirdo and I love it.
½ November 22, 2015
Another entry in the horror cannon of Canadian director David Cronenburg. Scanners features telepathy as its central subject matter with Cronenburgs own trademark brand of horror using make up special effects in an era long before the dreaded CGI.
The production was troubled. Hasty script re-writes and failed special effects scenes that required re-shoots.
An exploding head in one scene forms the main special effect of the film.
The cast and crew are made up mainly of little known Canadians but Prisoner star Patrick McGoohan makes an appearance as a psychopharmacist!
Basically scanners are humans with the power to connect with other nervous systems over a distance using telepathy. Get it?
The film explains there are 237 scanners worldwide caused by the teratogenic side effects of a drug administered to pregnant women like thalidomide.
A private security company controls most of these scanners but what is their evil motive?
One scanner (the hero of the film) attempts to find out and stop the potential worldwide trouble starting.
Cronenburg succeeds with a story years in the moulding and the special effects scenes do work.
The IT equipment on show in the film is horrific! How did big multi national companies survive with computers with less power than a smartphone but taking up an entire room!