The Sting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sting Reviews

½ May 14, 2018
You saw this trend in the late 60s & into the 70s (& especially in Paul Newman) where characters that traditionally would've been cast as bad guys were being dignified & cast in a positive light. Here you have a bunch of thieves, prostitutes, & con artists ripping off whomever they can.
In case you were wondering, these kind of con artists...not very nice people in real life.

Things go awry when Redford's partner is murdered. He goes to Newman, who has since retired & still wanted by the FBI to get the guy responsible for the death of Redford's friend. That said, the movie is a very fun ride. And the main target is someone who is a much greater antagonist & criminal than anybody else. I think this is Redford's best performance. Music is great. Art direction is great. Robert Shaw is absolutely evil. And I love the movie being broken up in separate acts.
The redeeming quality is that for their last sting, they target the most evil of all villains & try to take him for all he's worth. No one can object to this mission. And the way they do it makes for 2 of the most entertaining hours of your life.
½ May 2, 2018
I feel like I'm not quite as high on the Newman / Redford movies as I am on the two actors themselves; there's an undeniably natural charisma between them, and that's what really pushes this film forward. Not that this movie is bad. It's not at all. It's quintessential "bad-guys-who-are-actually-good-guys" that's a whole mess of effective cons, a couple of which are being played on the audience. Like it's film-cousin Butch Cassidy, it's light, bouncy, and fun, if a bit shallow.
April 11, 2018
Well acted, beautiful, clever and great script. Not a whole lot that separates it from the con film genre, but other than that amazingly done.
½ March 8, 2018
A crime-caper that has sealed its fate as one of greatest movies of the 1970s.
½ February 17, 2018
Best picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 23, 2018
A completely pleasant and enjoyable experience, not so much one that surprises and challenges, but more like kicking back and having a good time with friends.
½ January 3, 2018
Amazing to see the backdrop being Illinois in 1973 with all the building lights while the movie and the cars and the clothes are 1936. I found that really interesting to look at. I always love seeing Paul Newman in movies. He makes acting seem so easy and effortlessly.

The whole meticulous plan and operation these guys have is really intersting to watch unfold. It's like one of those great heist movies only there trying to steal and con a man who is one of the most powerful in the Eastern side of the country. That Detective Snyder is one fat annoying prick. And Lonnegan is one vicious scum bag.

I can see how Ocean's Eleven could have been influenced by this movie. The precise movements and operations. Great use of zoom-in's in this movie. One of the greatest cons was pulled.

Overall, good movie with a good plot. But don't think I'll be watching this one again.
December 3, 2017
Newman, Redford and Shaw are the real mvp's.
November 11, 2017
the sting is a great one, non stop hustling and grifting throughout the film
October 28, 2017
It is the mid-1930s, the height of the Great Depression. Con men Henry
Gondorff (Paul Newman) and Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) team up to
swindle crime lord Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw), a man who wants Hooker
dead. They assemble a team and hit upon a plan. What follows is complex
and fraught with danger.

Superb - the perfect crime-caper movie. Clever, engaging and entertaining. The sting itself is a
sight to see, so complex and smart you can't stop concentrating for a
moment.

Some great sub-plots too. Even when you think they aren't going to go anywhere, ultimately they add a lot to the overall plot.

Paul Newman and Robert Redford are perfectly cast in the lead roles.
They had, four years earlier, teamed up for the excellent Butch Cassidy
and The Sundance Kid and here they reproduce that confidence, swagger
and camaraderie.

The Sting won the 1974 Best Picture Oscar, plus six other Oscars, including Best Director for George Roy Hill and Best Screenplay for David S Ward.
October 8, 2017
Newman and Redford light up the screen in this tightly constructed, and well paced caper flick. (even though it may be aging a tad awkwardly...)
October 7, 2017
10 out of 10:

Fast paced, smart, and a great lead duo makes The Sting a witty and entertaining film.
August 30, 2017
I love 'The Sting'. It's the kind of film which resembles to a game, and is as likable and entertaining as one. It's also the kind of film which shows the true nobility of comedy. And it is a fun, cool and stylish picture with an unforgettable tune, and a stunning cast. But perhaps what I like the most are the surprising tricks played by the plot, and how amusing Roy Hill's film consequently is. Yes, 'The Sting' is all these things, and it definitely isn't a cinematic swindle.
½ June 23, 2017
One of the most charming classics ever. The Sting makes for a fun crime movie, which has a serious plot, but all while adding silly humor to it, and I loved it. And every single actor, from the tip top like Paul Newman, or Robert Redford, to somebody that ain't necessarily famous, make for terrific characters. And Scott Joplin's The Entertainer was a great choice for the film's score, it fits the mood and atmosphere completely. Great movie and recommended !!
May 27, 2017
I watch the sting on Netflix us it was good, :)
March 5, 2017
This movie is a real treat, a ridiculously fun guilty pleasure. Please do not be turned off by its somewhat dated production values, and somewhat long length. You will be missing out if you do. Everything is top notch, the acting, directing, script, humor, this had to have inspired the movies of people like Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino. As you may have realized, I don't hand out 5 stars to non musicals willy nilly. This deserves it every step of the way.
February 23, 2017
This movie is a classic and slow paced. A lot of movies after it borrow from it, when it comes to con movies.
½ January 18, 2017
Not only does this film hold up, it's probably one of the better heist movies I've ever seen. Newman and Redford are both great, and they had me guessing till the very end.
January 16, 2017
Brilliant acting, script, plot, and most of all, Scott Joplin's music.
½ January 15, 2017
There's a wonderful quality about this movie that's hard to quantify. Suffice to say that its energy, plot and engaging characters give it a life and momentum that keeps you interested and watching from start to finish. A real classic.