The Sting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sting Reviews

½ June 23, 2017
One of the most charming classics ever. The Sting makes for a fun crime movie, which has a serious plot, but all while adding silly humor to it, and I loved it. And every single actor, from the tip top like Paul Newman, or Robert Redford, to somebody that ain't necessarily famous, make for terrific characters. And Scott Joplin's The Entertainer was a great choice for the film's score, it fits the mood and atmosphere completely. Great movie and recommended !!
May 27, 2017
I watch the sting on Netflix us it was good, :)
March 5, 2017
This movie is a real treat, a ridiculously fun guilty pleasure. Please do not be turned off by its somewhat dated production values, and somewhat long length. You will be missing out if you do. Everything is top notch, the acting, directing, script, humor, this had to have inspired the movies of people like Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino. As you may have realized, I don't hand out 5 stars to non musicals willy nilly. This deserves it every step of the way.
½ February 28, 2017
A crime-caper that has sealed its fate as one of greatest movies of the 1970s.
February 23, 2017
This movie is a classic and slow paced. A lot of movies after it borrow from it, when it comes to con movies.
½ January 18, 2017
Not only does this film hold up, it's probably one of the better heist movies I've ever seen. Newman and Redford are both great, and they had me guessing till the very end.
January 16, 2017
Brilliant acting, script, plot, and most of all, Scott Joplin's music.
½ January 15, 2017
There's a wonderful quality about this movie that's hard to quantify. Suffice to say that its energy, plot and engaging characters give it a life and momentum that keeps you interested and watching from start to finish. A real classic.
½ December 27, 2016
The Sting's plot twists are not at all major or unpredictable, but they come often enough to blend in smoothly with the film's narrative, building on the charms of Robert Redford and Paul Newman.
December 22, 2016
The Sting is just a fun, entertaining film with a great cast.
December 20, 2016
Stylish, funny, and thrilling--more than the 1960 flick, The Sting is the true inspiration for one of my personal favorites, Ocean's Eleven.
December 10, 2016
that ending tho!!!!! wow
November 26, 2016
For the time, it's insanely clever. Many films have ripped off this film to some degree so watching it these days feels like old news but it still manages to craft its story in a very original way that's as sophisticated as its twists and holds up marvelously well. Plus, the chemistry between Newman and Redford is timeless.
October 30, 2016
'The Sting is one of the best movies ever made. Deserving of every award, it was brilliantly cast, magnificently shot, and enthrallingly tense. One of the best screenplays ever written, this is one everyone should see for its innovation if not for anything else.
½ October 28, 2016
While I can't say that this film aged very well, it's fantastic in every other aspect.

An old film set in an even older time makes for a very mature feel. while the supporting cast was weak, the lead actors were on point. An enticing plot, lack of superfluous scenes, and classic music makes for a timeless film.
October 23, 2016
Robert Redford and Paul Newman re-team for George Roy Hill's classic crime caper which sees the devious duo lining up an elaborate scheme to bring down gangster Robert Shaw. Highly entertaining stuff with a memorable pay-off.
½ October 17, 2016
Smart exciting movie with great a great twist. Paul Newman and Robert Redford are great. Love this classic
September 24, 2016
Y'know watching this movie we think how clever the sting they pulled off was in the movie, but the surprising thing is that were the ones surprised by the twist. We were the ones stung. Brilliant.
August 8, 2016
Redford and Newman shine as a pair of con men buddies who have to pull off the ultimate con without getting killed or imprisoned. A benchmark for Universal Studios that stands the test of time.