The Sting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sting Reviews

½ October 17, 2016
Smart exciting movie with great a great twist. Paul Newman and Robert Redford are great. Love this classic
September 24, 2016
Y'know watching this movie we think how clever the sting they pulled off was in the movie, but the surprising thing is that were the ones surprised by the twist. We were the ones stung. Brilliant.
August 8, 2016
Redford and Newman shine as a pair of con men buddies who have to pull off the ultimate con without getting killed or imprisoned. A benchmark for Universal Studios that stands the test of time.
August 8, 2016
Excellent example of an entertainment movie that has it all, from script to charismatic leaders.
½ July 29, 2016
Man, I had a blast watching this film! I wasn't sure what to make of it when I saw the first 30 minutes because of its slightly dark tone. But as Paul Newman's character showed up and they started planning things out, I realized that this was going to be a light-touched and humorous caper film revolving around some amusing and likable characters. Well-directed and well-acted, "The Sting" is truly a great film, a crowdpleaser full of twists and turns you don't see coming.
July 10, 2016
An intricately-plotted, never slow caper. The sets, vernacular, and outfits are perfect for the 1930s Chicago setting. It's always engaging and highly enjoyable... and there is a fantastic twist near the end.
July 5, 2016
George Roy Hill does his best to sell a pretty bleak story as fun and light-hearted . . . he certainly succeeds and I like how weird the final result is.
June 25, 2016
My all time favorite movie and it was released the year I was born!. The twist and turns in the this plot were ahead of its time. Oh yeah, Robert Redford & Paul Newman in their prime star in this flick...what's not to like? And then there's the soundtrack, who doesn't love The Entertainer?
June 13, 2016
Con artist sets up a "sting" as revenge for the death of his mentor. This depression era comedy isn't flawless by any means but it delivers fine performances and superb writing and directing. A classic movie.
May 17, 2016
My folks took me to see this on my birthday. It was my first "grown-up" movie and remains one of my all-time favorites.
May 16, 2016
I like to see this on streaming Netflix us, :)
April 10, 2016
The Sting is the most stylish film of 1970s. The movie is rich in performances from all the actors with lead actors delivering their most memorable act...notably Paul Newmann as the charismatic con artist and Robert Redford as the second guy...Robert Shaw gives a good punch as the villian to this film. But whats remarkably important with this film is the photography and art direction thats sets the tone of the film of Chicago at that point...The plot is twisty, funny chase scenes and serious tone of dialogues make it as a perfect entertainer at the end of the day. Its certainly the best caper film I have watched to date.
½ March 13, 2016
Clever, humorous and well-executed, The Sting unites the trio of Redford, Newman and George Roy Hill for a film that delivers on a good story with actors that have such great on-screen relationships. The chemistry between all the actors is really well-directed and the sets are as appropriately detail-oriented as they should be. Entertaining, amusing, and enjoyable.
½ March 9, 2016
A crime-caper that has sealed its fate as one of greatest movies of the 1970s.
March 7, 2016
Paul Newman and Robert Redford is one of the greatest duos that cinema has ever seen. They can do literally do everything and this time, they try some comedy. It's all impeccably put together.
½ February 26, 2016
The soundtrack and cinematography are both impressive, but those aspects are wasted on what is a less-than-spectacular film. The Sting is too dull. (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ February 15, 2016
Paul Newman and Robert Redford shine together in this brilliant and hugely amusing caper film that offers us, among many notable qualities, a marvelous production design and an ingenious (and unpredictable) plot that plays like a refined sleight-of-hand trick.
February 3, 2016
Stands test of time well. Such a god sting that it had me fooled. Newman and Redford are both excellent in nicely paced and executed film.
January 12, 2016
Ain't no Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but it will do.