The Sting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sting Reviews

July 10, 2016
An intricately-plotted, never slow caper. The sets, vernacular, and outfits are perfect for the 1930s Chicago setting. It's always engaging and highly enjoyable... and there is a fantastic twist near the end.
July 5, 2016
George Roy Hill does his best to sell a pretty bleak story as fun and light-hearted . . . he certainly succeeds and I like how weird the final result is.
June 25, 2016
My all time favorite movie and it was released the year I was born!. The twist and turns in the this plot were ahead of its time. Oh yeah, Robert Redford & Paul Newman in their prime star in this flick...what's not to like? And then there's the soundtrack, who doesn't love The Entertainer?
June 13, 2016
Con artist sets up a "sting" as revenge for the death of his mentor. This depression era comedy isn't flawless by any means but it delivers fine performances and superb writing and directing. A classic movie.
May 17, 2016
My folks took me to see this on my birthday. It was my first "grown-up" movie and remains one of my all-time favorites.
May 16, 2016
I like to see this on streaming Netflix us, :)
April 10, 2016
The Sting is the most stylish film of 1970s. The movie is rich in performances from all the actors with lead actors delivering their most memorable act...notably Paul Newmann as the charismatic con artist and Robert Redford as the second guy...Robert Shaw gives a good punch as the villian to this film. But whats remarkably important with this film is the photography and art direction thats sets the tone of the film of Chicago at that point...The plot is twisty, funny chase scenes and serious tone of dialogues make it as a perfect entertainer at the end of the day. Its certainly the best caper film I have watched to date.
½ March 13, 2016
Clever, humorous and well-executed, The Sting unites the trio of Redford, Newman and George Roy Hill for a film that delivers on a good story with actors that have such great on-screen relationships. The chemistry between all the actors is really well-directed and the sets are as appropriately detail-oriented as they should be. Entertaining, amusing, and enjoyable.
½ March 9, 2016
A crime-caper that has sealed its fate as one of greatest movies of the 1970s.
March 7, 2016
Paul Newman and Robert Redford is one of the greatest duos that cinema has ever seen. They can do literally do everything and this time, they try some comedy. It's all impeccably put together.
½ February 26, 2016
The soundtrack and cinematography are both impressive, but those aspects are wasted on what is a less-than-spectacular film. The Sting is too dull. (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ February 15, 2016
Paul Newman and Robert Redford shine together in this brilliant and hugely amusing caper film that offers us, among many notable qualities, a marvelous production design and an ingenious (and unpredictable) plot that plays like a refined sleight-of-hand trick.
February 3, 2016
Stands test of time well. Such a god sting that it had me fooled. Newman and Redford are both excellent in nicely paced and executed film.
January 12, 2016
Ain't no Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but it will do.
January 5, 2016
The Sting is an expertly crafted film with exceptional performances that can genuinely be considered a masterpiece.
January 3, 2016
Needed some assistance in following the plot from start to finish, but long live 'The Entertainer'...
½ January 1, 2016
Two funny cons, a story in episodes, very original. A classical film
December 20, 2015
For some reason The Sting didn't really keep my attention, even with the all-star cast.
½ December 10, 2015
From the set design, clothes, music, legendary actors and a great fun entertaining plot The Sting has everything that the classic glory days of Hollywood movies should have. Can they pull such an elaborate con off? One of the great motion pictures of all time. Classic
November 28, 2015
The sting is a revenge movie but unlike a lot of movies where the goal of the protagonist is to kill or physically hurt the villain, the goal of the protagonist is to con him out of a large sum of money. The plot of the movie is great and is told in a different manner. Paul Newman and Robert Redford are so likable as the two leads. A great plot, a great script, humor and charm and some smart plot twists make for a great movie. 5/5 TIMELESS CLASSIC.