Winchester '73 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winchester '73 Reviews

½ November 11, 2016
fun old western with Jimmy Stewart and Shelley Winters.
½ September 12, 2016
Tremendous western with legendary actors throughout- well worth seeing
July 8, 2016
Good gun slinging redemption western.
June 12, 2016
Stewart is great, and the story of the Winchester, its part in the war against Native American tribes (Rock Hudson in one of his first roles), touches on all the Western stereotypes out there.
½ April 9, 2016
The first act of this is pitch-perfect, the rest kinda goes place that aren't nearly as good, but isn't necessarily bad per se. I was just really engaged in the story I thought was being set up, and then it veered.
April 3, 2016
Definitely my favourite Anthony Mann Western I've seen so far.
September 19, 2015
Different, but well done. Boy those injuns where dumb. Not....
½ January 20, 2015
Personalmente no soy fan del western (serà por que aùn no vi las de John Ford), pero esta pelicula me ha sorprendido narra la travesìa de un rifle el Winchester 73, que va en manos de diferentes personajes. Sòlida y entretenida pelìcula.
November 29, 2014
141128: Very enjoyable black and white film. Neat story and good characters. Not often do I raise ratings but I did here.
½ August 19, 2014
Winchester 73 is a good old fashioned light heart western
½ July 4, 2014
Good Western and Jimmy Stewart is always good.
½ March 16, 2014
Good western, with a few tweaks to the classical western formula. We have character development, a mysterious backstory between the lead hero and lead villain, and a less than conventional damsel-in-distress.

The story of the how the gun changes hands, the hands it goes through and how many people it kills is also interesting. A sort-of circle of life, for a weapon.

Good action scenes. Plot is decent, though it has some moments and scenes where not everything gels, and it feels contrived.

Good performance by James Stewart in the lead role. Shelly Winters, as the wisecracking damsel-in-distress, is interesting. Certainly not your conventional female character in a western, who are normally seen rather than heard (not saying I agree with that convention, by the way). Initially her one-liners are at odds with the drama of the movie, and jar a little, but her character grows on you and eventually her jokes are a pleasant distraction.

Good supporting cast which includes Rock Hudson, in one of his earliest roles, as a young Indian leader (!). Tony Curtis, also early in his career, has a very minor part.
March 5, 2014
Excellent. This is just about what I need in a Western.
½ November 18, 2013
Great early western, with, James Stewart, Shelley Winters,Stephen McNally, The story i is about the journey of a prized rifle from one ill-fated owner to another and a cowboy's search for a murderous fugitive, Im not a lover of cowboy films, but this has it all, Robberies.Injuns,Kidnapping, a great story, and a very impressive cast Shelley Winters is great, she has a real warm screen presence.,James Stewart and Stephen McNally are great also, watch out for Rock Hudson as the Indian, This film has aged well, and every wester lover will love this classic.
½ November 7, 2013
A saga da arma em "Winchester 73"(1950) não funciona bem. Mas o jogo psicológico entre vilão e mocinho e a cena final valem o filme.
½ October 27, 2013
An entertaining Western. Straightforward typical entertainment with good performances.
October 14, 2013
One of the GREAT all time westerns.
August 21, 2013
My exploration of director Anthony Mann's filmography continues with this Western. I've been told time and again that this one is pretty fantastic.....and IT IS! The title character (of sorts) is a highly coveted rifle which was won by the character played by James Stewart and through a series of events, it gets passed around which gives the film its very unique structure, almost episodic in a way. Despite the short running time of less than 90 minutes, the film feels very deep, rich and epic filled with fascinating characters. It's beautifully photographed and has great action scenes. Anthony Mann is rising in my list of favorite directors.
August 12, 2013
Una belleza visual increíble y una historia intensa y sólida. Una maravilla.
July 27, 2013
Simply one of the best Westerns ever made.