Winchester '73 Reviews

½ July 16, 2007
One part Western (the visuals), one part noir (the script), this is one different take on the genre. Rock Hudson as an Indian, Tony Curtis as, well, Tony Curtis, a mythical firearm that drives men crazy, and reheat the Redenbacher's, cause this is good viewing.
½ November 9, 2011
Winchester 73 is one of those perfect classic Westerns (High Noon, The Searchers, Stagecoach, etc.) that never disappoints or lets up from the moment you pop in the disc.

The depth and complexity of James Stewart's performance is the star here, but for me, film noir auteur Anthony Mann's textured, high contrast black and white photography is a runner up, especially in the night scenes, which have the haunting and three dimensional glowing quality of the best film noir classics. Thirdly, the perfectly cast cracker jack supporting players, all hold the screen with the masterful Stewart in his prime, full of veterans like Grandpa Walton (Will Geer), and newcomers circa 1950 like Shelly Winters, Tony Curtis and Rock Hudson.

The script is subtle using natural, conversational dialogue. The acting style matches the script to a t, with almost Stanislavski-esque performance 'method' . Don't expect the wacky buddy comedy or over the top cackling villainy of some of the other later day (post WWII) Westerns. It's a well told story that wraps up perfectly and takes its time to make its big shocking revelation, adding resonance to the tragic wrenching conclusion. The 93 minutes fly by with the wall to wall excellence on display here.
Kyle F.
½ August 8, 2011
Winchester 73 is fine, light-hearted fun. Full of charismatic performances and a simple but functional story, it never fails to please or entertain, even if it's not exactly riveting.
½ May 5, 2007
This movie is better than losing your virginityI mean seriously who knew Jimmy Stewart kicked so much ass
garyX
½ March 3, 2007
James Stewart and Anthony Mann made a few quality westerns together, and this is probably the best of them. This film has everything a western could want and more; Stewart is in full bad-ass mode as he hunts down the man who killed his father. It starts off with a sharp-shooting tournament overseen by an unusually machismo free and jovial Wyatt Earp (nicely played by Will Geer) and goes onto an encounter with a cardsharp, an Indian war party, a sassy music hall girl, a Stagecoach-style cavalry siege, a gunslinger heading a ruthless gang AND a bank robbery; all cleverly linked by the ownership of the eponymous rifle. The plot is by it's very nature rather episodic, but the performances are all first rate (including cameos by Rock Hudson and Tony Curtis in early roles) and the high contrast black & white photography very effective. A minor classic of the genre.
October 24, 2006
I'm not a big fan of westerns, but this was great.
toejambaseball24
½ September 14, 2011
Very well-made, gritty western...but it probably won't be as memorable as I would like it to be...
jimbotender
August 28, 2008
Classic western,Stewart appears as a new iconic symbol moving to the group of the many heroic western film figures,what about Anthony Mann?The stellar thing with this guy is he adores grand occasions.Epic form.And that is a novelty for the Far West genre.
½ March 22, 2008
When Anthony Mann and James Stewart get together for a western, hold on to your hats.
DrLappos
½ March 14, 2008
I loved James Stweart movies...shame about the death bit.
½ August 30, 2013
A saga da arma em "Winchester 73"(1950) não funciona bem. Mas o jogo psicológico entre vilão e mocinho e a cena final valem o filme.
½ April 15, 2013
Mann's first film with James Stewart, with whom he was to make a series of classic Westerns, this offers the clearest example of Mann's use of the revenge plot.
May 26, 2012
Fantastic movie. Jimmy Stewart made some of the most interesting Westerns. It probably says horribly unhealthy things about me that I find him that much more attractive when he's angry, but he's awfully yummy in this.
December 8, 2010
Beautiful Western with Jimmy Stewart doing his best (low-key) acting, and he doesn't have to carry the whole picture himself. Shelley Winters was pretty good in her role, even if I wasn't particularly sure of how to feel about her character all the time.
½ September 27, 2008
One man hunts another man for a shooting a man in the back, while a wincherster '73 moves around their lives and brings them back together for one last shoot out.
James Stewart gives one of his best performance as a cowboy. Surprise to see the actor Tony Curtis pop in this film, but does not have a too big of a role.
One of the finest western films ever made.
½ September 8, 2008
I like James Stewart and the main cast, but some of the tertiary characters are just laughably bad actors. Fine story and all that.
January 3, 2008
Straight forward story about James Stewart hunting down the man who stole his prized possesion: a Winchester 73. The gun that won the west.

I feel that this is a notable Stewart performance because of his intensity in certain scenes. Great finale with a rifle shootout in the hillside.
½ July 6, 2008
Winchester: The Only Thing That Can Keep Your Family Safe

This is the first advertising movie that I've reviewed on Flixster (I think. I've seen quite a few movies since joining the website over a year ago.) Okay, maybe it's not completely an advertising movie simply because there's certain facts about the West. The Winchester changed the face of the frontier. But I just wish this movie would shut up about it already. Seriously, it wasn't referred to as "this fine gun". It was always "well, we got two Winchesters," or "this gun is no Winchester, but it'll do." SHUT UP! I can't stand that shamelessness. The sad thing is that the movie has a really good concept going to it.

Pretty much, this is the Lord of the Rings or "The Monkey's Paw" (or, for you Supernatural viewers out there in the Flixster verse, the rabbit's foot) for the Western scene. Pretty much who unjustly carries this weapon, be it wittingly or unwittingly, will meet their demise. Too bad everyone and their mother "knows that's a perfect Winchester" (*grrrr...I'm sorry, I really can't stand that stuff in movies. Really, this is an excellent film that just threw around the word "Winchester" too much. It was like Castaway with the FedEx packages coming in face up or You've Got Mail. I was actually floored that this movie didn't start sellout Tom Hanks!) I'd have to believe that someone in the West probably saw that Winchester and said "Boy, that's a pretty looking gun," and left it at that. But everyone knew it as the 1 in a thousand, which seemed silly to me. Admittedly, guns aren't the way of the land in Royal Oak, MI, but I don't think everyone in the West knew what made the perfect gun.

The other issue I have with this movie, which isn't necessarily the biggest problem in the world, is the sphere of coincidence. The West was always known for being wide and spread out. There would be almost no way that you'd constantly run into people you knew by coinicidence. Well, not only did the main characters run into one another, but everyone who was anyone in this movie constantly seemed to know each other through close ties. Mind as well have all introduced them in one room at one point and got the big issues out of the way.

I have to finally yell at my 501 book. Those plot summaries are spoilery as hell. They told me why James Stewart is chasing Duke the entire time and how they know each other. Considering that this is the big end revelation and that they are throwing clues at you, I didn't want to know two sentences into the description of the movie that they know each other that way. What a gyp. I feel like I kind of got something screwed out of this movie. But that said, all of the performances were great. I love James Stewart and seeing him in this very different role was a great experience. I've seen him in movies like The Naked Spur and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, so I am used to his Western work, but he's always such a noble character. While he is still by far the protagonist of this piece, he's here hunting for revenge and not caring who he hurts in the process. It's very different seeing him as a violent man, but I do like the portrayal he gives as this deeply troubled character. It's not like he's brooding, but his choices come as surprises, like I imagine violence happens in real life. People aren't sneering all the time. They're crafty and break into spontaneous emotion.

Two interesting bits about this movie that really stood out was the cameo of Wyatt Earp as a character. Those brushes with history always play a little bit of fun with the viewers and I think that the character's appearance was well used. I'm glad it didn't pull a Star Wars or a Young Indiana Jones and have the characters meet everyone from the Old West, but that one brush was pretty fun. The other thing that I really dug was a really young Tony Curtis in somewhat of a minor role. He's one of the featured Cavalry Officers and just sticks out like a sore thumb. But I like Tony Curtis so I got a thrill out of it.

This really is a good Western with a great overall theme. I just get upset when products go from natural to shameless very quickly. I mean, I can imagine the fine people at Winchester thinking that their gun gets their owners killed would probably be bad on business, but there's other ways to handle it without just be over-the-top and without dignity.
February 24, 2008
Another fantastic western! I loved the twists and turns in this one! Both the heroes and villains were convincing, as was the female character. I wasn't crazy about how they depicted Wyatt Earp in this one, but it was still a great watch.