Winchester '73 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winchester '73 Reviews

½ September 12, 2016
Tremendous western with legendary actors throughout- well worth seeing
July 8, 2016
Good gun slinging redemption western.
June 12, 2016
Stewart is great, and the story of the Winchester, its part in the war against Native American tribes (Rock Hudson in one of his first roles), touches on all the Western stereotypes out there.
½ April 9, 2016
The first act of this is pitch-perfect, the rest kinda goes place that aren't nearly as good, but isn't necessarily bad per se. I was just really engaged in the story I thought was being set up, and then it veered.
April 3, 2016
Definitely my favourite Anthony Mann Western I've seen so far.
September 19, 2015
Different, but well done. Boy those injuns where dumb. Not....
½ January 20, 2015
Personalmente no soy fan del western (serà por que aùn no vi las de John Ford), pero esta pelicula me ha sorprendido narra la travesìa de un rifle el Winchester 73, que va en manos de diferentes personajes. Sòlida y entretenida pelìcula.
November 29, 2014
141128: Very enjoyable black and white film. Neat story and good characters. Not often do I raise ratings but I did here.
½ August 19, 2014
Winchester 73 is a good old fashioned light heart western
½ July 4, 2014
Good Western and Jimmy Stewart is always good.
½ March 16, 2014
Good western, with a few tweaks to the classical western formula. We have character development, a mysterious backstory between the lead hero and lead villain, and a less than conventional damsel-in-distress.

The story of the how the gun changes hands, the hands it goes through and how many people it kills is also interesting. A sort-of circle of life, for a weapon.

Good action scenes. Plot is decent, though it has some moments and scenes where not everything gels, and it feels contrived.

Good performance by James Stewart in the lead role. Shelly Winters, as the wisecracking damsel-in-distress, is interesting. Certainly not your conventional female character in a western, who are normally seen rather than heard (not saying I agree with that convention, by the way). Initially her one-liners are at odds with the drama of the movie, and jar a little, but her character grows on you and eventually her jokes are a pleasant distraction.

Good supporting cast which includes Rock Hudson, in one of his earliest roles, as a young Indian leader (!). Tony Curtis, also early in his career, has a very minor part.
March 5, 2014
Excellent. This is just about what I need in a Western.
½ November 18, 2013
Great early western, with, James Stewart, Shelley Winters,Stephen McNally, The story i is about the journey of a prized rifle from one ill-fated owner to another and a cowboy's search for a murderous fugitive, Im not a lover of cowboy films, but this has it all, Robberies.Injuns,Kidnapping, a great story, and a very impressive cast Shelley Winters is great, she has a real warm screen presence.,James Stewart and Stephen McNally are great also, watch out for Rock Hudson as the Indian, This film has aged well, and every wester lover will love this classic.
½ November 7, 2013
A saga da arma em "Winchester 73"(1950) não funciona bem. Mas o jogo psicológico entre vilão e mocinho e a cena final valem o filme.
½ October 27, 2013
An entertaining Western. Straightforward typical entertainment with good performances.
October 14, 2013
One of the GREAT all time westerns.
August 21, 2013
My exploration of director Anthony Mann's filmography continues with this Western. I've been told time and again that this one is pretty fantastic.....and IT IS! The title character (of sorts) is a highly coveted rifle which was won by the character played by James Stewart and through a series of events, it gets passed around which gives the film its very unique structure, almost episodic in a way. Despite the short running time of less than 90 minutes, the film feels very deep, rich and epic filled with fascinating characters. It's beautifully photographed and has great action scenes. Anthony Mann is rising in my list of favorite directors.
August 12, 2013
Una belleza visual increíble y una historia intensa y sólida. Una maravilla.
July 27, 2013
Simply one of the best Westerns ever made.
July 5, 2013
Winchester '73 is James Stewart's first western collaboration with director Anthony Mann, and it's one of the most engaging and fun westerns I've seen in a while. Winchester '73 is about Lin McAdam (James Stewart) and his friend named High-Spade (Millard Mitchell) arriving in Dodge City for a shooting contest where the prize is an extremely valuable, "One of a Thousand" Winchester rifle. Lin comes across a man named Dutch Henry Brown (Stephen McNally) who he's familiar with, but right when they're about to shoot down each other, they realize that they gave their guns to marshal Wyatt Earp (Will Geer) for protection upon entering the town. After Lin wins the rifle in the contest while focusing on competing against Brown, Brown steals the rifle and sets out across the desert, leading to the rifle itself and Lin going on a journey to get it back. Along the way, several other characters are introduced, including a man named Steve Miller (Charles Drake), his fiancee named Shelly Winters (Lola Manners), and a sociopath named Waco Johnny Dean (Dan Duryea).

This is a very clever western, and throughout the movie, the rifle is put into several different hands. I won't spoil anything, but the climax of this movie is fantastic, and although it takes a little time for the journey to pick up, when it does, it really is quite a ride. The acting is great, especially by James Stewart and surprisingly, another actor named Dan Duryea. Unfortunately, James Stewart isn't in the movie as much as I really wanted him to be, considering I'm certain that some characters get nearly (if not, just as much) screen time as him. However, when he is on screen, he's very likable. He seems like an actor that's fit for westerns and roles like this. His role is pretty psychological, and his constant terror and outbreaks of emotion created lots of intensity. Dan Duryea plays a murderous sociopath named Waco Johnny Dean, and I found him to be very enjoyable in the role. The pacing is very fast, and there's quite a bit of action, including a saloon fight, shoot outs, and Indian wars. One aspect I liked about this movie is the fact that they never really tell you why there's a conflict between Lin McAdam and Dutch Henry Brown at the beginning of the movie and in the contest until near the end, and I was very surprised by the reasoning.

The story is very well told, even if it isn't exactly what you would call "riveting", but I was never less than fully engaged. I was hooked one from the first second to the last, although some things did take me out of the film every once in a while. First of all, I didn't really like how the Native Americans were portrayed in this movie, and I found it to be somewhat offensive. Although that's how they were technically treated back during the Old West, I'm not sure if that's a reason to justify it. Also, as I stated a little earlier, James Stewart is only in the movie for about half the time, and a few characters get just as much screen time (without James being on screen). It was a little frustrating, and I didn't find those parts as interesting, but I was still engaged. Another problem is the fact that everything is so coincidental, as if everything in this Old West setting was specifically in a certain place where the story could move along quicker. The West was a pretty big place, and constantly running into things conveniently for the story to continue was a little odd. Anyways, at this point I feel like I'm nit-picking, so if you can get past these small flaws, Winchester '73 will be a very intense, yet fun and interesting western.

Although Winchester '73 is not exactly a remembered western for James Stewart, I found it to be an excellent, intense western that never slowed down. A few small flaws got in the way but they're pretty much just nit-picks (although the way the Natives were treated was uncalled for), and I wish James Stewart had more screen time, but everything else was told perfectly. Very worth watching, and it goes by very fast. I wished it lasted longer, considering the ride I had with this movie was a lot more entertaining than expected. What I also found somewhat interesting was the fact that they included Wyatt Earp for a while during the great opening, and although the portrayal doesn't seem exactly accurate, it was nice to see that small bit of history included. Practically everything in Winchester '73 works well, and it's an overall great western with great themes, and the last few minutes alone let this movie deserve every bit of its classic reputation that it has.