My Blue Heaven Reviews

• Aug 22, 2020

Besides having one of the best casts of comedic actors of the late 80's, MBH also features some of the most iconic mob character actors at a time when we were in peak mob movie. Nora Efron and Nicholas Pileggi were married at the time and both did extensive interviews with Henri Hill: who's autobiography -and the interviews - both movies are based upon. The contrast between the two movies couldn't be more stark in tone, yet the charm, fast talking, compulsive lying, womanizing character of Vinnie/Tod comes through almost more believably I'm MBH, IMHO. I can watch and enjoy this movie almost any time I have the opportunity to see it. It was one of the first DVDs I owned. 2 thumbs up.

• Aug 17, 2020

Vinnie Antonelli (Steve Martin) trades the mob for the witness protection program and moves to a small suburb in California, he's so used to his old ways though His only hope is Barney Coopersmith (Rick Moranis) of the FBI. Of course it''ll be a major adjustment Coopersmith has to make sure Vinnie keeps a low profile before he can testify against his former mob associates but his marriage takes a nosedive with his wife leaving for a younger man, the man has a system for everything but according to her lacks any fun Can both this former mob guy and FBI agent get along well enough before the trial? Who knows what they can learn from each other? Hannah Stubbs is an assistant district attorney (Joan Cusack) who's also a mom and divorced from her husband, after she runs into Vinnie several times on a larceny and robbery charges Coopersmith steps in saying he can't be arraigned being that he's witness protection Knowing Vinnie it's hard to break away from his old habits from meeting his old buddies to overtipping people to buying expensive suits But both he and Coopersmith learn to have genuine fun throughout all of this, a little culture shock never hurt and even Hannah starts to loosen up thanks to Coopersmith's new mannerisms this is really one of Steve Martin's most unique roles and Rick Moranis is just as bubbly and likable, Cusack plays opposite well as the serious one only seeing Vinnie for what he seems but sees him for what he wants to be in order to change we have to change within ourselves first the movie balances both as a buddy comedy and mafia flick but never falls too far into the other

• Jul 11, 2020

Not funny enough given its leads.

Not funny enough given its leads.

• Jan 28, 2020

One of my most often seen comedy film. Great and funny. Oder auf Deutsch: - eine Super Klasse Komödie. Einfach nur zum ansehen und berieseln lassen. Nicht zum ernst nehmen gedacht und auch keine hintergründigen versteckten Belehrungen. Einfach nur: SPASS !!!!

• Dec 13, 2019

Loved It. ....your going to melt all this stuff..

Loved It. ....your going to melt all this stuff..

• Apr 13, 2019

Most of the jokes fall flat and there's really nothing to it. Steve Martin is at least funny as a congenitally dishonest ex-gangster but Rick Moranis gives in an uncharacteristically dull performance as his FBI minder.

• May 16, 2018

Fantastic movie. Funny, engaging and the acting was superb.

Fantastic movie. Funny, engaging and the acting was superb.

• Jan 22, 2018

I could barely get onboard this modern fairy tale turned sitcom, with a story and cast that should've easily worked, but doesn't. More of an oddity than a failure.

• Jan 17, 2018

Life in the witness protection program for a loud-mouthed ex-mafia informant (Steve Martin) and his boring, buttoned-up FBI minder (Rick Moranis). Strangely, this serves as a counterpoint of sorts to Martin Scorsese's epic Goodfellas, and not just in the similar topic and release window. Both were actually based on the life of the same man, mobster turned stool pigeon Henry Hill, although My Blue Heaven takes some artistic license in casting him as a plucky, golden-hearted screwball. Yet, despite Martin's best efforts to be the loudest man in the room (he's certainly the loudest dressed) there's very little to see here. We watch him bristle at the prospect of a subdued retirement away from the bright lights, toy with the idea of starting his own operation in town, tease the local cops and... nothing. No growth, no conflict, no excitement. Even when he's literally under fire from spurned former conspirators, there's no tension in the air. It just feels like bad slapstick. Vacant and dull, pointless and meaningless, it's offensive in the lengths it takes to be inoffensive. I'm not sure why I did this to myself.

• Nov 26, 2017