JFK - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

JFK Reviews

September 29, 2016
A masterpiece through and through. Hands down one of the most fascinating and gripping movies I've ever seen. Kevin Costner's best performance by miles. I was absolutely blown away.

JFK is the total package. It's masterfully directed. Brilliantly written. Perfectly paced. Flawlessly acted. Sharply edited. I LOVED everything about this movie.

In my opinion JFK is a PERFECT film. This is what cinema is all about. If I used a rating scale out of a 100, it's a 100/100.
September 27, 2016
Best conspiracy movie ever. Great acting, great stories. Superb, profound and intelligent film. Well done.
September 19, 2016
I remember liking JFK more than I did this time around. It's still a good movie and it has some brilliant actors (actually it feels like 50% of the actors in Hollywood show up in this film,) but there is something sadly missing. The story tells about the only legal case ever brought to trial in relation to the assassination of John F. Kennedy. I think a more emotionally effective film would have spent more time on Jim Garrison, and his struggle to get this day in court. They try in a few brief scenes to point out the difficult family situation Garrison is experiencing, but the movie never came across as being about him. Instead it was all about the case. There is some fascinating stuff in this film, but it feels so scattershot that I sometimes grew confused over how it would tie together. The movie is long and it all seems to be pointing towards that final scene where Garrison gets his day in court and can present his big closing argument.

While watching this big climax suddenly it hit me. This isn't a film about Jim Garrison and his passion to get the truth out there, this is a film about Oliver Stone's passion to get the truth out there! It's a 3-hour-long "closing argument" that spells out for the audience all that has been found in the many studies of JFK's assassination. Stone even conveniently connect the dots for us, making the assumptions so we don't have to ourselves. There's nothing wrong with this film, and certainly if even half of the things presented as facts in the movie are accurate then it's worth getting the truth out there to general audiences. I applaud the idea, but didn't adore the execution. In many ways it felt like the movie was just throwing as many pieces of damning evidence they could find in an effort to make a point. Sadly the point they make is "We don't have any idea what happened, but it wasn't what the Warren Commission said." I think this movie could inspire someone to look deeper into the truth of things, and to question what we are told, but I don't know how well it holds up as a cohesive story.
September 17, 2016
**** 'JFK' is fantastic filmmaking from Oliver Stone, who creates a fully realised account of the conspiracy surrounding the murder of John F. Kennedy in 1963. Featuring great performances and excellent dialogue, the film is mind-numbing and thought-provoking and a real testament to Stone as a fantastic director. It may have a slow first 30 minutes and ultimately be too long, but JFK is a mostly resounding success.
September 15, 2016
Seriously? People like this unadulterated piece of crap posing as history?
September 12, 2016
A riveting,powerful movie.
The scenes with Donald Sutherland alone, make this unmissable.
Allows you to make your own mind up about the assassination.
½ August 29, 2016
It's a Crime classic. A really fascinating and entertaining story from start to finish. It's heavily scripted and the cast did a good job too. A Must-See.
July 18, 2016
It will make a believer out of you.
½ July 12, 2016
One of Oliver Stone's best directorial piece where his shows off his exhilarating cinematography couple with a great ensemble cast.
June 30, 2016
Marvelous written,edited and acted.
½ June 30, 2016
If you ever needed proof Costner can't act, look no further than this paranoid gobbledygook. Absurd premise and stupid characters. But the lighting is good....
Brilliant, f**king incendiary!
June 30, 2016
Slow & Methodical. Historically Accurate In Terms Of Archival Footage But The Conspiracy Theories Abound, Which Is What Keeps It Interesting..But Be Prepared For A Loooong Drawn-Out Drama. This Version Being Even Longer!!
June 25, 2016
Uno de los mayores logros de Oliver Stone , apoyado en un reparto de primera. Las poco mas de 3 horas valen el esfuerzo por ver la sarta de secretos, intrigas y mentiras en torno a uno de los crimenes de estado mas grandes de la historia.
½ May 26, 2016
Insightful and thought-provoking but overly long.
May 14, 2016
I just love this movie, plain and simple.
May 10, 2016
JFK is an absolute masterwork of filmmaking and story telling, never has editing and cinematography blanded so well together, to create one of the most riveting, educational, thrilling, mysterious, and controversial films of all time. JFK is one of the best pieces of filmmaking i've ever seen, and one of my all-time favorite films.

With films like this, where the subject matter is delicate and lies close to people's heart, and where it is incredibly controversial there will always be haters of the movie just because they hate it (I've read many reviews like that) without even viewing the film properly, without predjudice or anything like that.
I am no american, and i am too young to have been alive around 1963, so i knew little about the assassination going into this film, except ofcourse that JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald (which is something i learned in school, i didnt know if it was true or not, i did know that there was some controvery around the assassination though, and that's it) So i went in watching without predjudice. A movie like this will always have historians or other people complaining about how factually inaccurate it is, and frankly, i dont care about this in any way, same with biographies, i dont care if it is incredibly inaccurate, i care if it is a well-made film, and damn, JFK is one hell of a well made film. It's one of the most riveting, educational, thrilling, mysterious, and controversial films of all time. In my honest opinion there really is little to complain here.

The main thing about this film is exposition and there's a lot of it in the film. There are times when Stone essentially asks us to listen while a character explains things. These scenes could have been deadly. He makes them exciting by using persuasive actors, by cutting between many different points of view, and by reconstructing the events being described. Stone's film is hypnotically watchable. Leaving aside all of its drama and emotion, it is a masterpiece of film assembly. The writing, the editing, the music, the photography, are all used here in a film of enormous complexity, to weave a persuasive tapestry out of an overwhelming mountain of evidence and testimony. Film students will examine this film in wonder in the years to come, astonished at how much information it contains, how many characters, how many interlocking flashbacks, what skillful interweaving of documentary and fictional footage. The film hurtles for 188 minutes through a sea of information and conjecture, and never falters and never confuses us. That is not to say that we are quite sure, when it is over and we try to reconstruct the experience in our minds, exactly what Stone's conclusions are. "JFK" does not unmask the secrets of the Kennedy assassination. Instead, it uses the Garrison character as a seeker for truth who finds that the murder could not have happened according to the official version.

JFK is one of the best edited films of all time.
½ April 5, 2016
Really well done! Any criticisms re the run-time have to take into consideration the sheer volume of information/facts surrounding the JFK shooting. The film does a great job at showing just how many layers are involved when trying to get to the core of the issue. Costner does a really good job of portraying an FBI agent desperately trying to make sense of the case despite all the surrounding noise and distractions. And yes, you have to take the "facts" presented with a grain of salt, but at the same time maintain a good balance, because Stone does provide info that at the time may have been controversial, but which we now know to be very close to the truth.
This is definitely a film that will leave you thinking and debating for some time afterwards.
March 8, 2016
On rewatch it's quite a brilliant film. Costner was the right man for the job
February 27, 2016