JFK - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

JFK Reviews

January 13, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
A film with no flaws and presenting one of the most all-star-studded casts in cinematic history. So, why rate it so low? It's just way, way, way too darn long. The details are immaculate, but so descriptively drawn out that it takes so much away from the movie. The two prime examples: when Kevin Costner presents his case to the jury at the end, and the second, when Donald Sutherland talks candidly to Costner in the park. The first, okay, he's a lawyer, you can expect that. But the second case? Sutherland appears to be boasting about his acting chops for memorizing such an intricately detailed script, and comes off as incredibly phony. The cast, again, incredible. The story intriguing. Even the flashbacks, with such vivid imagery, were amazing. But again, I found myself watching it in chunks over several days, and I just can't rate it higher as a result. Sorry, but valiant effort.
December 24, 2016
Having read two dozen books about the JFK assassination, and after hiring a team of researchers to further investigate, Oliver Stone seemed deeply devoted to finding his own answers. That answer is presented to us in his 1991 film JFK. Kevin Costner does a damn good job of playing Jim Garrison, the detective who reopened the case a few years later. Stone and company provide a thoroughly compelling case, claiming that there were others involved other than Lee Harvey Oswald. Clocking in at over 3 hours, JFK is very long, and my patience oftentimes runs thin for investigative films/shows. Luckily, it pays off in the end with an incredible courtroom scene where Garrison presents his case to a jury. Stone has convinced me with relentless amounts of evidence that the legal declaration stating that Oswald acted alone in the killing of JFK had to be a farce, to some degree.
½ December 17, 2016
Thought provoking film from director Oliver Stone about the investigations of New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison (Kevin Costner) into the assassination of US President John Fitzgerald Kennedy in November 1963.
The screenplay of the film is primarily based on two books Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy and Garrisons own book On The Trail Of The Assassins.
The film is three hours in length and questions the official version of events concluded by the Warren Commission report that a lone gunman Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy.
Indeed supporters of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro, the US secret services and US arms industry might all have had some role?
A heavyweight cast includes Costner, Tommy Lee Jones and Joe Pesci (sporting awful wigs), Donald Sutherland, Sissy Spacek (Carrie), Kevin Bacon and more! Oh Walter Matthau and Gary Oldman (Oswald).
I suppose questions the movie asks may be answered in 2038 when 'secret' documents are released to the National Archives in the US?
Excellent if time zapping film. It feels like Costner geeing up the weary merry men in Robin Hood and flagging viewer alike in his courtroom monologue at the end!
December 9, 2016
Absolute masterpiece
December 3, 2016
Classic. On Blu-ray.
November 21, 2016
JFK is an extraordinary film that delivers many great performances, lots of informative dialogue, and makes us think about JFK and how it happened. Director Oliver Stone has proven that he can show what would happen and how it would affect the American people.
October 29, 2016
Oliver Stone paints a film about conspiracy with a tense coating.
October 23, 2016
Amazing film! Although, as this movie started off, I didn't think it would be that amazing. The first thing that stood out to me was Kevin Costner's accent. I was thinking, "Oh no! Do I have to listen to this for 3 hours?" The answer was yes, but he quickly sold me. I think his acting got better as the film went on. That's one thing this film has, it's an amazing cast. Joe Pesci, Tommy Lee Jones, Gay Oldman, John Candy, Kevin Bacon, Donald Sutherland, Wayne Knight, Sissy Spacek and so on. This film is extremely well acted. Now just because a film has good acting, doesn't mean that it will be entertaining. I will admit, this is a very long movie and it starts off pretty slow. As Kevin Costner's Jim Garrison begins the case on the assassination of JFK, his leads are pretty minimal. It doesn't seem like his case is building that much as most of the evidence is shrouded in secrecy. Luckily, the intrigue is so strong that you have to keep watching. Throughout the film, more and more clues start to come Jim Garrison's way and by the end of the film, it is just an amazing scene to see. In most films over three hours long, in my opinion, if it doesn't have a stellar climax, then I am very upset that I watched a film for three hours for an ending that wasn't satisfying. Oh my goodness, the climax of this movie is perfect! You really sit there in your seat thinking, "This is outrageous! How can the FBI allow such a thing?!" I don't think it is a spoiler to say the JFK was killed and there is a talk of a government conspiracy. Speaking of which, I gave this film a perfect score because I love films about United States politicians and love conspiracy theories. I believe that you need to be a bit of both to get the best out of this movie. If you are a person who couldn't care less about United States politics and think all conspiracy theorists are nutjobs, then yeah I'd say that this film would be too complex or uninteresting for you. If you do care about those, this is a perfect movie! An absolute must watch!
October 23, 2016
I f****** love John Candy in this film. That's all I have to say.

Okay, so apart from that, JFK is a well written, edited, and crafted film from one of the world's greatest living directors, Oliver Stone.
October 19, 2016
one of my favorite movies
October 11, 2016
Oliver Stone's conspiracy docudrama twists together fact and fiction, and while that's certain to polarize those who want factual cinema, more open-minded viewers will be fascinated by the film's profound interest with the Kennedy assassination.
October 6, 2016
Oliver Stone's classic masterpiece!
October 4, 2016
I've always looked at things differently. This movie not only made me feel okay for that, it empowered me that looking at things differently is the right thing to do
September 29, 2016
A masterpiece through and through. Hands down one of the most fascinating and gripping movies I've ever seen. Kevin Costner's best performance by miles. I was absolutely blown away.

JFK is the total package. It's masterfully directed. Brilliantly written. Perfectly paced. Flawlessly acted. Sharply edited. I LOVED everything about this movie.

In my opinion JFK is a PERFECT film. This is what cinema is all about. If I used a rating scale out of a 100, it's a 100/100.
September 27, 2016
Best conspiracy movie ever. Great acting, great stories. Superb, profound and intelligent film. Well done.
September 19, 2016
I remember liking JFK more than I did this time around. It's still a good movie and it has some brilliant actors (actually it feels like 50% of the actors in Hollywood show up in this film,) but there is something sadly missing. The story tells about the only legal case ever brought to trial in relation to the assassination of John F. Kennedy. I think a more emotionally effective film would have spent more time on Jim Garrison, and his struggle to get this day in court. They try in a few brief scenes to point out the difficult family situation Garrison is experiencing, but the movie never came across as being about him. Instead it was all about the case. There is some fascinating stuff in this film, but it feels so scattershot that I sometimes grew confused over how it would tie together. The movie is long and it all seems to be pointing towards that final scene where Garrison gets his day in court and can present his big closing argument.

While watching this big climax suddenly it hit me. This isn't a film about Jim Garrison and his passion to get the truth out there, this is a film about Oliver Stone's passion to get the truth out there! It's a 3-hour-long "closing argument" that spells out for the audience all that has been found in the many studies of JFK's assassination. Stone even conveniently connect the dots for us, making the assumptions so we don't have to ourselves. There's nothing wrong with this film, and certainly if even half of the things presented as facts in the movie are accurate then it's worth getting the truth out there to general audiences. I applaud the idea, but didn't adore the execution. In many ways it felt like the movie was just throwing as many pieces of damning evidence they could find in an effort to make a point. Sadly the point they make is "We don't have any idea what happened, but it wasn't what the Warren Commission said." I think this movie could inspire someone to look deeper into the truth of things, and to question what we are told, but I don't know how well it holds up as a cohesive story.
September 17, 2016
**** 'JFK' is fantastic filmmaking from Oliver Stone, who creates a fully realised account of the conspiracy surrounding the murder of John F. Kennedy in 1963. Featuring great performances and excellent dialogue, the film is mind-numbing and thought-provoking and a real testament to Stone as a fantastic director. It may have a slow first 30 minutes and ultimately be too long, but JFK is a mostly resounding success.
September 15, 2016
Seriously? People like this unadulterated piece of crap posing as history?