Unforgiven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unforgiven Reviews

July 19, 2017
One of the greatest films ever made.
July 14, 2017
An anti-hero cowboy is going to a questionable job, and that's just what he does. Clint Eastwood has always been the fastest gun in the west, but this is where he does it in a unheroic manner.
June 19, 2017
Eastwood's meditation on violence and the western is a hard-hitting, sweeping, beautifully crafted and haunting experience. Every performance is a powerhouse, but Hackman's Little Bill steals the show.
June 11, 2017
Western films are not for everyone. Many, if not most, of them are packed full of dated notions as to what it means to be honourable, be the best killer, be a man. I would be quicker to recommend Unforgiven to people who don't like Westerns (at least for the reasons I mentioned) than to people who do. From a distance, it may seem like a modern Western which studies the moral compass of when it is morally right to use the deadly force of gunfire. In depth, not quite. That theme is actually pretty common in classic Westerns. Unforgiven argues that such questions are not even relevant, once the moment comes to use gunfire. The primary characters in the movie -- played with great sympathy by Clint Eastwood (also the director), Morgan Freeman, and Gene Hackman -- are esteemed shooters well past their prime. They are each in situations where they would most like to settle down and be away from the violence of their past, but for one reason or another, they have found themselves ready to kill. Eastwood and Freeman, partners in crime, try to rationalize their deeds for justice, while Hackman, the "antagonist", tries to rationalize his deeds for peace. Overtime, the violence desensitizes from a intense perspective of the shooter -- "Can you live with yourself, if you pull the trigger?" -- to ruthless apathy, patiently and effectively paced by director Clint Eastwood. In the film Unforgiven, whatever it means to be a "man", it has long been too late for anyone to walk away in the "right." All that counts is who is lucky enough to walk away at all, and get the chance to continue walking. If you see classic Westerns as the testaments for true heroes, you may not like how Eastwood and screenwriter David Webb Peoples try to shatter those images. For everyone else, you're in for a treat.
May 31, 2017
Still my all time favorite western. Whereas the Spaghetti Westerns had the feel of epic myth, this one feels downright realistic. In some ways it is a sobering antidote to the portrayal of violence in those films. What was most remarkable about this movie is how powerful an anti-violence message it conveys by how the violence is portrayed. The character Munny's quote right before the climax about killing struck a deep philosophical cord within me that has stuck with me ever since. This is such a rare thing to come out of a movie. The acting is great in this movie as was the cast. The storyline was great as well. The pace was reasonable with a thrilling ending. If you like drama and violence, gritty realism, immersion into a western period piece, a deeply thought provoking exploration of the negative aspects of violence, some unexpected twists and turns with a thrilling climax, and some great acting by a great cast, then I highly recommend this movie. I have watched it at least 3x.
May 23, 2017
Good flick although maybe not the classic it's being made out to be!
May 21, 2017
Happened to find this movie by chance. Beautiful masterpiece by Clint Eastwood.. Typical western cowboy movie and excellent performances by Morgan Freeman & Clint Eastwood.. Shows the emotional journey & varying perspectives of few killers - 2 experienced ones and an amateur / beginner.
The experienced killers struggle with their emotions to kill people (used to be arrogant and killed people for fun in their youth); they do not gloat with glee on the number of kills they have done so far - rather they are filled with remorse and fear.
Whereas the amateur has never killed a soul so far but boasts of having killed 5 people (when truly his eyesight / aim is quite bad). Surprising to find a cameo by the first Dumbledore Richard Harris in this movie :) (can't imagine him in any other role) !!
April 16, 2017
The reason I'm not a fan of westerns is because of how dull they look and feel, and how pushed the heroism angle is. Unforgiven breaks all the cliches Stagecoach and The Big Trail cursed upon its genre. This movie is beautiful and gritty, a haunting tale of how violence affects a person and dehumanizes them.
April 11, 2017
Okay first things first, I realize that that the cowboy did a really awful thing by cutting up that girls face, but I really didn't feel like death was an acceptable punishment for him. He should've gotten the shit kicked out for sure, but killing him?
English Bob seemed like a very cool character but in the end his story didn't lead anywhere and I was very disappointed in that area of the film. Other than that, a lot of the plot moved far too slow for my liking, and I found myself very bored with this otherwise competent and mildly interesting film
April 8, 2017
Why this film has 95% is beyond me.. It is sooooooo boring. In all fairness, I didn't watch the whole thing - I fast forwarded A LOT of the scenes, so maybe if I tie myself to a chair and force myself to watch it, i would realize it wasn't that bad. But for me to fast forward the scenes kind of mean it sucks at the beginning.
April 7, 2017
This Is My Favorite Clint Eastwood Film.
March 12, 2017
Unforgiven is not your tipycal, lovey-dovey, good guy, western. Director/Actor Clint Eastwood reinvents the western genre into a much more merciless and ugly type of flick. And that's why this movie is so great, along with a great trio of actors that play memorable and likeable characters that we really get attached to, and good cinematograhy that sets the mood for westerns, this movie will always be remembered as a cool classic western. Recommended !!
March 6, 2017
Eastwood's best movie and my favorite Western.
½ March 2, 2017
Unforgiven is dark and uncompromising, showing the effects of violence on those who perpetrate it.
½ February 28, 2017
Clint Eastwood delivers yet another memorable western.
February 23, 2017
you can't make a movie more perfect than this.
February 5, 2017
Amazing movie. Great cast with a nuanced story.
February 4, 2017
Quite simply one of the greatest Westerns ever made. Clint Eastwood is as iconic as ever, and the supporting cast, notably Martin Freeman and Gene Hackman, are superb. I first saw it when I was in my teens, and I loved it then, and I still love it now. It's a slow burner but nothing is wasted in developing the characters and story. It's high time Warner Bros got off their horses and gave this classic a full Blu-Ray remaster in the audio and video department, and this time don't forget to give 'Unforgiven' a lossless audio encode! 5/5*
January 31, 2017
Unforgiven (1992) C-131m. ???? D: Clint Eastwood. Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris, Jaimz Woolvett, Saul Rubinek. Determined to stay away from violence, a one-time mad killer agrees to take on another job for his family. Intelligent, sumptuous western with remarkable sensibilities, merits, and a spellbinding finale; outstanding cinematography by Jack N. Green, beautifully acted from top to bottom. Oscar-winner for Best Picture, Director, Editing, and Supporting Actor for Hackman's riveting performance.
December 31, 2016
Slower than I remember, but still quite good. This was the first Western I ever enjoyed, as it's not a genre I've ever cared about.