Unforgiven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unforgiven Reviews

July 19, 2016
A real western, a farewell one of the most important genres of film history, the film is amazing and in my opinion is a seal, "Unforgiven" has a spectacular, brilliant script, you care about each character, you know everything about them, their dramas, their anxieties, their desires and their dreams, everything is very deep and well portrayed, and look at the film only has two hours, the performances are magnificent, few things are more rewarding in the cinema to see Clint Eastwood making your paper unnamed man (although in this film he has gained a name), and Gene Hackman is also magnificent, editing the movie is great, especially in the final scene, the outrageously good sound mixing, the beautiful photography, trail sound is good, but lacked that painted Ennio Morricone, If you like movies, watch "the unforgivable" if you like the western genre, buy the DVD and watch every week.

[Spoiler] [/ spoiler]: I rarely comment on the film giving spolier, but the final scene can actually be quite jarring climate of the film, perhaps Willian (Clint) have to have died, but kill the unnamed man is like killing Superman, Rocky or Batman. The character is an icon, almost a superhero, kill him, it would be like to kill Clint himself, so the director (Clint Eastwood himself) opts for a redemption, not a death.

[Spoiler] [/ spoiler] Another point to be discussed is a movie western to where no one pulls the gun and kills 20 people with the eye closed, but a killer who can not kill another killer who never killed and has problems vision and one that has visions of death and can barely get on the horse, and Sheriff claims to love the law and hate killers, beating people who believes to be criminal, are real cowboys, humans, this point of unforgivable is incredible.

[Spoiler] [/ spoiler] And the personal drama of the character played by Clint Eastwood is a counterpoint to his character's past, who killed, robbed, only saw the money, he tries to redeem the past and almost 30 years later, the man nameless goodbye.
July 10, 2016
Excellent modern western. Great ensemble lead by great C. Eastwood. Cold performance by G. Hackman. All around great character driven movie.
July 2, 2016
A very nice story, but a bit slow on some parts. The overall content could be edited and trimmed down to 1 hr and 30 mins.
½ June 17, 2016
"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man." From Clint Eastwood comes the gritty Academy Award winning western Unforgiven. After a group of prostitutes put out a bounty on a pair of cowboys who cut-up one of them, an eager young gunslinger seeks out a notorious outlaw named William Munny to team up with in order to kill the cowboys and collect on the reward. In addition to directing, Eastwood leads the cast and gives and excellent performance. And, co-stars Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman are incredibly good as well. The set designs and costumes are especially well-done, and give an authentic feel to the film. The violence also feels remarkably realistic, particularly the extraordinarily thrilling climatic shootout. A well-crafted and compelling revenge film, Unforgiven delivers a daring and provocative vision of the Old West.
½ May 29, 2016
One of the best westerns films of all time, showing the reality of western gunfights. Eastwood reveals the fallacy of the idea that western gunfights were romantic, as well as speak of his own film career on a metaphorical level.
½ May 29, 2016
I'm not a big fan of the Western genre, but I thought Clint Eastwood did a phenomenal job with this modern take on the genre. Eastwood, Hackman, and Freeman give fantastic performances. Richard Harris gave an entertaining performance in his role as English Bob. Was slightly disappointed with the ending.
May 26, 2016
A well constructed western, but the slow story didn't make if very gripping. I'm still unsure what William Munny's motivation was.
May 17, 2016
what a great movie, Clint reminds me of my dad
May 15, 2016
"Unforgiven" finds Clint Eastwood delivering a beautifully shot, powerfully acted and thematically rich drama that qualifies as one of the genres very best.
May 8, 2016
I'm not quite sure why I keep seeking out Clint Eastwood directed films. I really liked both of his films on Iwo Jima and thought American Sniper was above average, but Unforgiven is another in a long list of movies that just didn't work for me. There is one really good scene here with Gene Hackman, but I couldn't find much else here that I got anything out of. Big disappointment.
½ May 5, 2016
Probably the best characterization of Clint Eastwood as a stone cold old killer. He is the best director after this movie for sure when it comes to capturing guilt. Brillant performance by Morgan Freeman, just overshadowed by the final show down in the old West way.
April 27, 2016
The thing about Westerns, it's hard to sift through all the bad ones. This might be the best one. I do not recall what compelled me to watch this, but I'm glad I did, because it's amazing.

Not only is it beautifully shot and masterfully acted, it explores the questions:

Can a person will-away their wicked nature?

How does a person bring good to the world for being what they cannot help but be?

Is there justice or redemption in BEING unjust TO the unjust? Is there justice at all in a Godless world?

If you can't appreciate this film, consider yourself Un
April 26, 2016
Unforgiven is a movie that transcends its plot. I mean the storyline is simple: A prostitute gets attacked, a bounty is placed on the heads of the attackers, and some old retired bounty hunters are convinced to come back for one last job. But there is so much depth in the story that you can't even see hinted at in that plot synopsis. The most fascinating aspect of the film, for me, was the morality questions that it brings up. Every character is clearly justified in their own mind and I can see with perfect clarity their perspective. While the audience is eventually enticed to take a side and view one character as a villain, I still struggle to call the other characters "heroes." The cast is second-to-none, with many deserved awards and accolades. I have trouble understanding Clint Eastwood's mumbling sometimes, but his point is pretty clear even when I don't catch every word. Richard Harris is superb as the suave English Bob, and you can feel that he is always a few steps ahead of his targets. Naturally, Morgan Freeman is a treat in any film. The real surprise for me was Gene Hackman. Little Bill is probably the most complex character to perform, but Hackman hits the perfect tone and shifts just enough so that we can change our opinions on him as the story continues, while still seeing it as a logical progression for the character. Unforgiven is like a classic Western but with a more modern tone. The struggle I always have with classic Westerns is the occasional slow pacing, and that would be my only complaint here as well. The story is compelling, and I can't say I get "bored," but it does seem there are moments that might have been trimmed if they wanted to keep the film more concise rather than being so reminiscent of classic Western cinema. If you have any interest in Unforgiven, then it's a must-watch because there is more going on than you might expect at first glance, and it has some of the best acting you'll ever see in a Western film.
½ April 17, 2016
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman,
Morgan Freeman, and all of the women in the film, Frances Fisher, Anna
Thompson, and Tara and the others were great. Clint does much more talking in this film, and has some great quotes:"It s a terrible thing killing a man, you take away all he's got and all he's ever going to have...we all have in comin, Kid...any man don' wanna get killed better clear on out the back...all I can tell you is who's going to be last."
½ April 11, 2016
Clint Eastwood proves, once again, why he's one of the best directors out there by reviving the Western with heart.
½ March 27, 2016
A beautifully harsh look at the legacy of the western gunfighter. Clint Eastwood delivers big time with outstanding supporting performances by Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman.
½ March 24, 2016
I think Eastwood's William Munny might be the same character that showed up in the "Preacher" graphic novel series. Except here he is known as the Saint of Killers.
½ March 22, 2016
It didn't feel as long as other western films. It was also realistically violent and gory. The performances are great and memorable.
However it felt slow paced and that's what made it boring half of the time. When the movie wasn't boring it was probably depressing.
March 21, 2016
Masterful. Eastwood kicks major ass, as usual.
March 21, 2016
Great directing and acting. Best western movie ever. Only flaw was the lighting. So much of the movie was dim and hard to see.