Unforgiven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unforgiven Reviews

December 31, 2016
Slower than I remember, but still quite good. This was the first Western I ever enjoyed, as it's not a genre I've ever cared about.
½ December 29, 2016
Great film, if you're into that sort of thing. (I'm not.) Frances Fisher shines.
½ December 25, 2016
Eastwood deconstructs the Western myths with this dark and realistic film devoid of any of that romanticism of the Wild West, and so it is a glorious farewell for the genre with a melancholy score, an epic cinematography and a lot of tension that builds towards a brutal, fantastic ending.
½ December 22, 2016
Its not the flashiest western ever made, but the sheer brilliance in Unforgiven's writing, direction, and cinematography well make up for it.
½ December 10, 2016
Acting was not very good, slow
½ December 9, 2016
The Western typically glamorises the gun as the period in every sentence, the end of psychology, of philosophy. This film takes a brief overview of some of it's many adherents: the kid, the braggart, the bully and the psycho, in an interesting plotline that draws them all together. Good filmmaking.
December 8, 2016
omg i am not a big fan of westerns...but some of them are just epic..and this is one of them!
November 26, 2016
Rating: 9.0 out of 10.
November 24, 2016
10 out of 10:

Well directed and acted and an true look at violence in the Wild West is what makes Unforgiven, well unforgettable.
½ November 22, 2016
David Webb Peoples wrote one hell of a screenplay and it helps that it's angry, sad, anti-western narrative falls right in line with Eastwood's best instincts as a director and actor.
½ November 18, 2016
4,5/5 Ratings for Unforgiven
F:95%
R:5%
As both director and star, Clint Eastwood strips away decades of Hollywood varnish applied to the Wild West, and emerges with a series of harshly eloquent statements about the nature of violence.
½ November 7, 2016
I don't know how the wild west was and frankly I don't care. I will dream the people were as compassionate as the characters Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman play in "Unforgiven." Arguably the best western ever, the look into the souls of each character relays us to the central issue. As piercing now as it was twenty five years ago, it will continue to be a piece of Americana. Eastwood and many others at their very best. 9.3 of 10
October 18, 2016
Typically grim and vapid Eastwood western drama, with his own acting one of the lowlights.
September 16, 2016
Clint Eastwood knows westerns so if you like westerns then put yourself in his extremely capable hands. Sergio Leone and Don Siegal would be proud.
September 8, 2016
I love this film's deconstruction of a genre often thought too sacred to criticize.
August 27, 2016
This is ai 1992 Oscar winner for Clint Eastwood. It's a violent but interesting tale of the old west.
August 22, 2016
What a great film from 1992. Criminally insane that I have never seen it up until last night.
Everything about this Western is top notch. Be it casting, screenplay, locations and photography.
The film is directed by Clint Eastwood and to date is his last western. It has elements of his other western filmography. The man with no name is back but his character William Munny is an older, wiser ex-alcoholic, assassin, looking after two children after the death of his wife.
Other cast members include Morgan Freeman as old sidekick Ned and Gene Hackman as sheriff Little Bill.
How brutal is he?
It got me thinking about just how good an actor Hackman is and how old he must be now.
The lavish photography shows Alberta, Canada at its best doubling for the old West.
I have watched many Westerns mainly old films from the 1930s, 40s and 50s starring the likes of James Stewart and John Wayne.
This 1992 picture beats each one of them.
August 12, 2016
Clint Eastwood's final western, still to this day and what a glorious send off to the genre that made him it is. Retired killer William Munny is now leading a peaceful life, after being reformed by the love of his late wife, struggling to raise his two children and run his farm. When he's paid a visit by a young man calling himself "The Schofield Kid" asking for help in the killing of two cowboys who have cut up a prostitute for a cut of a $1000 bounty he reluctantly agress bringing along his old gunslinging partner Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman). Heading out to the town of Big Whisky the trio soon discover that the two cowboys aren't their only troubles as the corrupt Sheriff of Big Whisky, Little Bill Daggett (played by Gene Hackman) and his henchman look after their own.

What makes 'Unforgiven' a cut above the usual western is its dealing with the myths of the Old West, blurring the lines between the usually well divided heroes and villians. This is done largely through the character of W.W. Beauchamp, a writer accompanying and writing the autobiography of famous gunslinger English Bob who himself has come to Big Whisky for the bounty. In one pivotal scene Little Bill de-mystifies the legend of English Bob and in doing so, the wild west myth itself, to Beauchamp with his re-telling of a classic showdown in which English Bob supposedly killed another cowboy who carried two guns.

Winning four of a nominated nine Oscars aswell as receiving many more nominations and awards around the world 'Unforgiven' is the perfect western, many years after the genres heyday. Eastwood's direction is solid through-out and writer David Webb People's script tells a complex and delicate story with all the classic touches and nods to the genre aswell as commenting on the mythology behind an exaggerated and glamourised time in American history.
August 9, 2016
una historia sencilla, rápida y entretenida, a pesar de que no fuera tan rápida, los personajes y las actuaciones fueron buenas, no me gustó mucho el personaje de
July 29, 2016
After all it's praise, Unforgiven was a bit of a letdown. I enjoyed aspects of the film, but overall it was a slow burner with little payoff. It was extremely predictable. Clint Eastwood is as like-able as ever, but I cannot list this as a favorite of Mr. Eastwood's