Braveheart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Braveheart Reviews

July 11, 2018
I was nervous watching this back, as an older viewer having been so profoundly affected by it as a very young Scot when it first came out. I was fully prepared to rail against the supposed Xenophobia and Homophobia, and historical inaccuracies, but my god what a film this is.

In drawing out the first act this film works seamlessly, it is Shakespearean in its quality - the star crossed lovers of William and Murren and then again with Princess Isabella - bring it to great heights. The battle scenes are unmatched.

I did not even care about the jesus-ifiing of Wallace that I noticed this time or all the pro-religion pro-proletarian undertones or the hokey parts with the Irish, it works so well.
½ June 21, 2018
Braveheart is a 1995 American epic war film directed by Mel Gibson.
AAW GGND 1001
June 16, 2018
This is an epic movie and a must see!! One of the greatest movies I have ever seen. There has been some debate in regards to historical accuracy but I don't feel that will take away from the experience at all. This movie has great battle scenes, amazing portrayals of friendship, love, betrayal, deceit, heroism and villainy. I was engaged the whole and was made to feel I was a first hand witness of the plot. I was emotionally vested and at a time was fighting back the sadness caused by admiration of courage.
May 31, 2018
one of the best action / drama movies ever created !! mel gibson just nailed it as always .
May 27, 2018
One of my all-time favorite movies. perfect in so many ways.
May 20, 2018
This is easily in the top ten movies of all time.
May 15, 2018
One of my top movies.
½ April 13, 2018
not much better than 'rob roy', the overrated, but inspired, 'braveheart' suffers from poor pacing and a one-dimensional mel gibson. the history is inaccurate to the point of being ludicrous. the big, bloody action are the highlights.
½ April 11, 2018
A typical commercial film.
April 3, 2018
Incredibly well staged and mounted (no surprise now, given Mel Gibson's other work) but fucking cartoonish with its character motivations and dialogue. "But sir, won't they hit some of our own troops?"
"Yes. But we have reserves..." - the wicked king replies.
So yeah, your character is either pure good or pure evil because despite the three hour run time there is no room for nuance. Whatever.
April 2, 2018
Despite its flaws and perhaps lack of "originality", this film is truly a classic and delivers a proper epic with strong acting and costuming.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
it was a very well thought out film, and the main reason to see this movie is the music and the fight scenes, mainly because the music is all done in bagpipes which is a tribute to Scotland being how the bagpipe was invented there. and the fights are spectacular to look at and very epic
March 26, 2018
Love it or Hate it, this movie brought the Scottish history to life especially William Wallace, Rubert the Bruce and Longshanks. Although depicted wrongly the battle of Battle of Stirling Bridge was also brought into limelight. Loved the music soundtrack.
Also it was wonderful to see Patrick McGoohan in his last superhit movie.
March 24, 2018
A+. Scots, romance, freeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!
March 19, 2018
Amazing. It will have you in tears and wanting more. This is a masterpiece by Mel Gibson and worth watching a million times
½ March 8, 2018
Recognizable, but "Braveheart" is little more than a hyper-violent, historically inaccurate war epic.
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 11, 2018
One of those enjoyable sweeping epic movies
January 31, 2018
Great story movie! Mel Gibson such a good actor! The soundtrack is perfect! The last scenes make me cried.