Braveheart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Braveheart Reviews

October 26, 2016
Incredible work of art, one of the most violently beautiful films ever made.
October 5, 2016
One of the best movies ever made.
September 24, 2016
This film shows Gibson is not only an outstanding actor, but epic director too. Emotive action.
September 19, 2016
Braveheart takes a long time to get rolling. I think a lot of the setup is necessary because it shows how William Wallace was turned into the man he would become later in the film, but I did feel there were moments that could have been shortened. However, once we have the real inciting incident and Wallace first expresses his rage, I was totally sold on this movie. The battle sequences are brilliantly shot, and look surprisingly authentic. I loved seeing how they would formulate plans that could defy the odds, they kept surprising me, and I found myself cheering more than once. The cast in the movie was brilliant, but the one who stood out the most to me was Angus Macfadyen as Robert the Bruce. His commitment to the performance was second-to-none, and I almost teared up when he realizes the horror of what he had done. The movie is an emotional roller coaster, and thrilling right up until the end. I loved how they included a fair amount of blood to keep it realistic, but also knew when/how to restrict it in order to avoid excessive gore. It was fascinating how they set up scenes (particularly the final scene) in a way that allowed your imagination to run wild despite the fact that they showed you so little. I had a few story problems that I thought weren't set up and explained properly, but otherwise Braveheart was very well-made. It's not the kind of movie I'll watch again and again, because it's pretty intense, but I'm delighted that I finally gave Braveheart a shot and I can see what all the fuss is about.
½ August 27, 2016
Los ideales, la libertad, son las bases de una verdadera vida ("Every man dies, not every man really lives"). Heroico, épico, en su totalidad. Críticas certeras a las "formalidades" y a los intereses egoístas. El miedo y el dolor como el único camino al triunfo (Wallace vs R Bruce). La codicia vs la entrega: el oro y la sangre.

Por momentos Gibson parece estar dirigiendo su futura película sobre la Pasión de Cristo. A ratos violenta y sosa (pasa del amor casi divino de su esposa al de la princesa), pero las reflexiones sobre la libertad y la lucha se mantienen a flote.
½ August 24, 2016
It was good but Mel Gibson should have survived the torture scene at the end
½ August 24, 2016
Very good film, very uplifting. Not a fan of Mel, otherwise dinner was pitch perfect
August 21, 2016
Ãpica, es larga pero no se siente, sentimos la ira y la valentía de William Wallace. La guerra está muy bien hecha, no me gustó mucho la historia de Angus Macfadyen y su padre.
August 21, 2016
Mel Gibson's Braveheart is one magnificent, unforgettable edge of your seat war drama!
August 18, 2016
This is my all time favorite movie!!! Very entertaining! When I was pregnant my husband and I watched this movie like at lease once a week maybe even more I couldn't get enough and now my son is William named after William Wallace!!
August 16, 2016
plodding, familiar and kinda dull.
½ July 29, 2016
One of if not the best Mel Gibson film starred and directed, In this near 3 hour film we expect some down time but in the first 30 minutes we have no real plot just a love story, But when it ends in tragedy finally the film starts, With some great very realistic battle scenes and for a while it's just battle scenes, Then betrayal happens and we have down time but we are so sucked into the story by then it's gripping and emotional, Mel Gibson was fantastic with his acting and directing, He made the filthy gritty 13th century come alive, My only downfall is it's too long and bum numbing but it's a classic and a must watch before you die.
July 24, 2016
This is still the most puzzling Best Picture Oscar winner ever.

The terrible historical inaccuracies do spoil things whenever things slow down.

But it's saved by the brilliantly staged battle sequences and James Horners great score.
July 5, 2016
A film which set the scene for historical epics for decades to come. The story, much like several other real-life dramas based one people's lives serves to remind us all the power of one man. That no matter what your circumstances are or how the world maybe stacked against you, the power is there to rise above it. All you have to do is reach for it. A lesson for us all.
July 2, 2016
Solid action filled flick with Mel leading the way and doing some solid work. The history is a little shoddy, but most historical movies are, as the truth doesn't sell tickets. Maybe runs a tad long IMO, but still a fun watch.
June 22, 2016
Film is based on the life of Scottish hero, William Wallace. The film is very well written and Mel Gibson goes all out in the role of his career. The battle scenes are grisly and realistic, the dialogue is effective and well written. The soundtrack by James Horner is also amazing. The camera shows and cinematography are flawless as well as they make use of the rolling hills of Scotland. This film is a must see and very much deserving of the 1995 Best Picture Oscar it received.
June 19, 2016
steel sword, and high octane action.
June 14, 2016
this movie is amazing and epic on every scale should be way higher than 78%
June 9, 2016
Every time I watch this I forget how bad it is. Bad acting, inaccurate history.......and as for Mel Gibson, least said the better. The battle scenes save it slightly, apart from the stupid kilt raising scene, and the Irish Steven character is hilarious. None of this saves it though.
June 7, 2016
Finally got to see this, it was good must not my style of film