Braveheart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Braveheart Reviews

July 25, 2017
All time favorite movie.
½ July 24, 2017
What is it with Mel Gibson's insane passion for torture? I mean, Braveheart, Passion of the Christ, Apocalypto...
Anyway, it's an energetic, passionate script and performance by the whole acting crew, and while it may not be a masterpiece, its nearly 3 hours don't bother at all, even though in the end the scottish martyr seems more like an american fanatic. Good effort.
July 23, 2017
I love this movie!!! this is the best movie ever it was put together so good the character the story and the actors played there role so good Mel Gibson did a awesome job portraying his character it felt so real I love this movie overall this movie was the best ever
July 23, 2017
Best war movie ever.
June 28, 2017
This movie never really got me the way Gladiator did.
June 18, 2017
Braveheart is one of the best epic films ever made. This is without a doubt Mel Gibson's greatest achievement. The score by James Horner fits the movie perfectly ! With one word this movie is a masterpiece !
June 14, 2017
Freedom!!!!!!!! Love this non-accurate movie!!!!!!
½ June 10, 2017
good but shit ending
June 9, 2017
While I recognize it's influence on modern film, I can't help but see Mel Gibson's Braveheart as a great story that's poorly told, with awful characters, bad dialogue that doesn't reflect what's happening on screen and a plot that starts too fast yet drags after the first hour.
½ June 6, 2017
The gold-standard for a medieval action film to live up to.
June 1, 2017
Altho not very historicly accurate Mel Gibson did make one heck of an entertaining movie.
May 21, 2017
Best movie of all time. Exiting, engaging, with beautiful picture.
May 14, 2017
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM... every man dies, but not every man truly lives
May 3, 2017
What a true war movie about freedom!
May 1, 2017
Ruthless Scottish rebel bangs French princess! Plus lots of blugeonings and decapitations!! What more can you ask for?
May 1, 2017
you're marking this on camera work not historical accuracy. Even Errol Flynn Hollywood wasn't this made up. Huge liberties taken, like battle of Sterling Bridge with no Bridge!
April 14, 2017
Could have been a bit shorter, some filler near the end.
April 9, 2017
Movie about William Wallace, a man who won Scotland its freedom against the British way back when. I used to absolutely love this movie to death. But its gotten somewhat silly and melodramatic over the years. Mel Gibson overacts in many scenes. Still, its pretty good. I'd recommend it.
April 6, 2017
Five Oscars for this movie says it all.
½ April 4, 2017
Even though this movie is not perfect, it's still a pretty entertaining war thriller which keeps the viewer interested despite the fact that it's almost 3 hours long.

After William Wallace's lover is killed, he decides to start an uprising against the cruel English ruler Edward the Longshanks in hopes of inheriting the crown of Scotland for himself.

This movie does have many memorable scenes. The 2 battle sequences in the movie are memorable and the ending is also very memorable. This move is very quotable also. It clearly has a few iconic quotes. Examples of the iconic quotes are "They may take away our land, but they'll never take away out freedom!" and when Mel Gibson yells "Freedom!"

The acting is okay. It isn't the best performance by Mel Gibson but it's also not bad. There are a few cringeworthy moments but not too many. All of the other supporting actors just gave decent performances. They weren't bad but they also weren't very impressive.

This movie is clearly violent but sometimes its violence can be distracting because the movie gets a little carried away with its style. Some scenes include a man getting thrown off a platform and getting impaled on a wooden pike and a man getting shot by an arrow in his butt. Those scenes are several others can take the viewer out of certain battle sequences because they are kind of ridiculous.

Also, the movie does have its historical inaccuracies. The inaccuracies mainly revolve around the princess of Wales. Granted, the movie would be a little more boring if it didn't include these inaccuracies but the movie still should've tried to find a way around them. I'm sure that it could've been done.

But despite what I said, I do feel that this is a pretty entertaining war film. However, I don't think that this is one of the best war films out there and I feel that there are much better ones. I also think that Mel Gibson has made better movies.