Harriet the Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harriet the Spy Reviews

May 3, 2017
One of my favorite movies as a kid, and I'm surprised I still liked it!
August 7, 2016
This is another movie that really inspired me when I was younger. Many people can relate to Harriet's problems in this movie, or have wanted to be spies like her at some point in their childhood. This is a good movie. Also, this movie is based on a great children's book.
August 5, 2016
Great book, not great movie.
June 15, 2016
hughiebrophy yes dad broom yes
April 15, 2016
This was the first ever film that was produced under the Nickelodeon Movies banner.
March 27, 2016
Okay bot not really nice to spy on your friends.
December 28, 2015
This film is super! I can't get enough of it don't over look it as a movie just for kids. I thought it was well directed and the child actors give great performances. Rosie was good too she played a very calm person a role I think she should do more often. the music in the movie is also fun and well put together so go buy or see it on netflix right now. Or later I guess it doesn't really matter when you get it.
½ September 7, 2015
This movie troubles me on a deeper level.
We start off with a girl whose hobby is to sneak around watching people in secret through their window. You may see it as a fly on the wall, I see it as creepy and inappropriate behaviour.
I understand the idea here is she's supposed to be seeing how people go about their lives, but you can do that without invading privacy and breaking any laws. I kept waiting or her to be solving a mystery and therefore having some point in spying other than to be a nosey kid.
Then, she writes what she sees in a notebook marked private, because of course that won't make anyone curious. We find out later, however, all her observations are negative and in some cases simply rude. Even those regarding her friends.
When her classmates discover this they ALL turn on her! What happens next is in turn a child version of Stephen King's 'Carrie' only instead of pigs blood it's blue paint. It's horrible to watch and to see her parents and teacher not only not helping but in a lot of cases making a bad situation worse.
Then they suddenly wrap everything up in a happy ending....no one learns much of anything other than to see the positive in people....she still spies on people but less like a jerk. None of the bullies really learned anything and the adults are still oblivious idiots! So the end.
Movie as a movie didn't capture me, at least not until I made a game of spotting the boom mic. But my daughter loved it and David loved it as a kid so I'm guessing I simply missed the demographic on this one.
August 4, 2014
(First viewing - Summer 1996 in theaters)
August 4, 2014
Cool movie. It's awesome how she does so many things but it has a price. it's a really awesome movie to watch
July 28, 2014
I would to watch this movie
July 2, 2014
Ok kid fair with one of my favorite kid actors. Nick did a good job picking their first movie
March 9, 2014
I read the book of Harriet the Spy and i really want to see the movie
½ February 22, 2014
didn't like it when i was a kid meaning i probably wouldn't like it now.
½ January 3, 2014
Classic childhood entertainment nostalgia.
November 28, 2013
Ludicrous acting and a terrible script sees popular children's book Harriet the Spy go down in flames, thanks to the whiny, mean-spirited performance of Michelle Trachtenberg, an actress who does no justice to the smart character that Louise Fitzhugh envisioned in 1964.
September 1, 2013
A great movie that will have appeal far beyond its preteen target audience. Funny, engaging, and just a little sad.
Golly: I bet your parents are thinking (mocking Harriet's mother) Harriet! Listen to what golly says to you!
cigaretteburns
½ August 30, 2013
what is Rosie doing in all my childhood movies?! I'm slightly horrified now.
August 10, 2013
one of the worst movies i have ever seen
July 4, 2013
One of those movies I watched when I was younger. I remember it to be dull even as a kid.