The King of Kings Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best inspiring epic movie ever made!

The best inspiring epic movie ever made!

• Oct 15, 2018

Touching and gorgeous.

Touching and gorgeous.

• Mar 18, 2016

One of the early great Biblical Epics that is not only a major production of the 1920's but this film's premier was the grand opening of Grauman's Chinese Theater on Hollywood Boulevard. The story is entirely original just scenes directly sourced out of the bible, the significance lies in the visual spectacle that Cecile B DeMille often delivered. Thankfully due to DVD audiences can now access the 155 minute which is includes an opening & closing scene that is shot on early two tone technicolor. It's entertaining & melodramatic but definitely a little static in comparison to productions yet to come ie Passion of the Christ 2004 etc. An interesting film to watch & eye to the glory days of Biblical Epics on screen.

• Apr 09, 2015

A beautiful rendering of the story told in typical DeMille style. It's nice to see Warner as Christ, however I kept thinking of Mr. Gower in It's A Wonderful Life. As with most DeMille epics, a pair of scissors could have helped the overall telling of the tale. The version I saw ran 2.5 hours. The color scenes are eye-popping.

• Jan 13, 2015

A touching and respectful epic. Wonderful even without the spoken word. Color and black & white sequences. A film for the family to watch together. Do not miss this one, it is a moving experience.

• Dec 28, 2014

good version of this but i still prefer the 1961 version

good version of this but i still prefer the 1961 version

• Oct 06, 2014

There are some curiosities to be had here for film buffs, especially those who are ever in awe of the silent film mavericks and the giant leaps they made. However, The King of Kings is part of the blander breed of silent films. It's quite empty apart from from its virtuoso filming techniques.

• Dec 28, 2013

This is an example of the book being much better than the film. The film provides some iconic "stained glass" images - but sadly, the images of Christ have always taken on greater cultural significance than the man Himself, or the book that tells about Him. There are some interesting revisions of the Gospel Epic in this film, and scenes were built around scripture verses taken out of context and strung together to create a linear narrative. There are scenes wherein assumptions made, and connections implied that are not actually in scripture . . . all in all, as a Christian, this left me pretty cold, and even a bit disturbed by its shallow portrayal of Christ, sensationalization and lack of substance.

• Sep 16, 2013

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

• Jul 21, 2013

THE best portrayal of Jesus ever! The drama and inaccuracy in the first third of the movie is forgivable in light of the exquisite spirituality of the Savior's character: his love for the little ones, his love and forgiveness for the sinner, his love and compassion for the sick and downtrodden. Yes, the definitive and interwoven sentiment throughout the film is "love". It is my opinion that no movie in modern times has been able to capture the humble grandeur of Jesus Christ as Mr. Warner did in the 1927 movie. I was also impressed with the portrayal of the various Mary's and Martha. Their individual efforts to bring the onlooker into the hearts of the women they were portraying was successful in that we were able to experience through them the tenderness, immeasurable love, and reverence they felt for the Savior; and, of course, in the end, the overwhelming grief which rendered them so physically and emotionally that they found any normal function of life incapacitate. Yes, I truly loved this movie and hope to find a copy for my library. Reva Dalton Bailey