Contact - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contact Reviews

April 30, 2018
Science and Religion share the pursuit of Truth. That alone sealed it for me. My favorite movie of ALL TIME!!! Great special effects, great directing, amazing storyline from the great Carl Sagan himself. What can I say, it's for the science nerd in all of us, while also considering the possibility of something greater - a God, beings, whatever. Recommend it 150%.
March 23, 2018
I'll admit, I came into this movie skeptical that a good alien movie could be made without aliens. I was proved wrong. Jodie Foster was amazing. I originally thought the movie could have ended without her being sent into space, and her being in space detracted from the rest of the movie, but I feel the ending wrapped everything up quite nicely. I think there was solid character development, and the message about how science and faith not always being in opposition from each other was conveyed well.
March 1, 2018
While the movie version of *Contact* is rather different than the novel, it still does an amazing job of conveying the book's basic premise and more. I do question the necessity of Palmer and Ellie's "morning after" scene, which unnecessarily mars an otherwise coherent plot; but it takes up such a small portion of this wonderfully powerful show, it can easily be overlooked.

*Contact* remains one of my favorite movies of all time.
February 17, 2018
THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. And basically just my top favorite #1 of all time. :) Besides Star Wars of course
February 11, 2018
Way over-hyped. Gets worse on repeated viewing.
½ December 29, 2017
The film CONTACT is so socio-politically and academically attuned I can hardly know where to start its review. I don't think any POV is left out in this drama as everyone reacts in every way humanly possible as these extraterrestrial elements intrude and reveal themselves to Earth. Everything from lost parents, to manipulative authority figures, to sexism, to evidential information, to the difference between belief and observational data, to violence perpetrated by an angry Nordic type all merge to form a tight, cohesive story. One odd thing I noticed about this film, and I wonder at its social commentary, is that men all seem to get in the last poignant word.
December 23, 2017
Another bit of SCI-FI genius! Good movie! A classic,
½ November 29, 2017
Fantastic. Loved it all. Never new how far it would go. It fought so many different battles and had so many different conversations all while being totally on target and focused the whole time. Answered all the questions we had while still leavings something to the imagination and debate. I thought the debate between god vs science was a little typical and could have used more nuance. It comes around to it in the end, but it that particular debate felt a little childish throughout. there is a much more mature conversation to be had about that debate and i wish the movie didnt settle for that trope.

The most impactful line of the movie for me: Jodie Fosters superior does something nasty to her and as some lame apology he says "the world is just this way. its not fair. nothing i can do about it." and Jodies response was "I always thought the world was what we made of it."
½ November 29, 2017
Honestly, I love science fiction and you always find the idea religion versus science is something very fascinating. I also like to see Jodie Foster the rest of the cast is also great.
But aside from a pretty good opening scene, there is not much good that I can say about this movie, the technical aspect was really top notch and the film has 2 of the best camera shots I've ever seen in life anyway I hate this movie. The movie is not really bad or somehow I just do not like the attitude I have a real problem with the message and it uses the very movie crew I despise.
I do not want to talk badly about the director or the actors because they are doing their best, I rather want to trash the scriptwriter. I hate him the most because of the combination of things that happen here. (I know that the movie is based on a novel but that does not matter.)
So my conclusion is great idea, fantastic camera work, awesome effects but the less I hear from this movie and see for the rest of my life the better. Because I can really feel how the bile slowly comes up every time when someone reminds me of this movie. The fact that the foundation seems made for me, however, the facade and the roof only consists of things that I despise is simply the greatest impudence.
November 2, 2017
Beautiful film and Jodie is wonderful. I have watched this at least once a year since it came out. I love John Hurt in anything.
½ September 5, 2017
The only thing that could have made this film perfect is if they had a fictional president. Adding Bill Clinton in was its only mistake...in my opinion.
August 12, 2017
Great special affects for a 1997 film.
July 10, 2017
Thoughtful, intelligent science fiction that relies on the momentum of it's story, as opposed to big, fancy set pieces.
June 25, 2017
I think that this is Robert Zemekis' most underrated film and deserves more recognition for being a science-fiction film that focuses on the character and plot rather than the special effects which, at the time of Contact's release, really weren't that special. Instead of splashing the budget on computer-generated imagery, Zemekis focused more on Jodie Foster's character, Ellie Arroway, who is determined to prove her theory of life outside of Earth. However, proving this is easier said than done and Ellie faces judgement from a lot of people, however, this only increases her determination. I think that Foster gives a strong performance here and develops Ellie into a successful astronomer. Because its main theme focuses on life outside of Earth, it made me wonder. I do agree with Ellie's statement that, because the universe is so big, it'd be a waste of space if we're the only living organisms.
I highly recommend that you watch 'Contact', it's worth watching entirely just for Jodie Foster's performance as the lead character.
June 24, 2017
Criminally underrated film. Yes, it definitely has its weaknesses, but its strengths definitely overpower those easily. Stellar performances by Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey. Lighting work is certainly odd at times, but I suppose that it becomes acceptable as the movie progresses. The film is pretty long, it has its speed ups, but mostly it is a bit slow, but not dragged out. Everything makes sense, in a way. I also appreciated the cameos here and there. Overall, as a sci-fi fan, can't believe that I have not seen this earlier.
June 14, 2017
A good slow burn sci-fi flick that teases more possibilities than provides answers. Only real weakness is a forced romance sub-plot.
June 11, 2017
This had some good things going for it. The intergalactic machine is an awesome design, and the trip through space and time really has you on the edge of your seat! Unfortunately, like the protagonist, it leaves allot of unanswered questions to be resolved, and that is it's biggest downfall, because this had allot of potential! The performances still stand out, however.
June 5, 2017
Based on the book of the same name by Carl Sagan, this movie is flawless. Great acting, interplay between Foster and McConaughey does the science/religion discussion justice. Still very relevant - holds the viewers attention.
½ June 3, 2017
Maravilhoso demais esse filme!
June 1, 2017
Although Contact may not muster enough vision to keep company with the mother of all sci-fi films, 2001, it possesses something the latter sorely lacked: a character to lend the film its emotional center. The closest 2001 ever came to a likable emotive character was H.A.L. - the monotone supercomputer that could read lips and offed all but one of the astronauts. Of course, this was also Kubrick's intent -- his own ironic jab that perfectly articulated his nihilistic philosophy on man's irredeemable nature. Though in a sense it's not fair to compare the two films, I invite the comparison nonetheless to highlight the yin and yang relationship these two films bear. One is the darker, lonelier and colder view of man's place in the future; while the other posits the more optimistic philosophy that man makes up the smaller part of a larger - and much friendlier - intergalactic community.

While Kubrick's version is far more compelling, not to mention creepier, Zemeckis' Contact is pure comfort food, thoroughly entertaining and benign. Jodie Foster, as always, delivers a believable performance. As Ellie Arroway, Foster plays a scientist who spearheads an independently funded program to find signs of extraterrestrial life. Just before funding is cut, she receives a strange signal that seems to originate from the Vega Galaxy. When the signal is decrypted with instructions to build a transportation device, supposedly to make face-to-face contact, the find causes a major stir. World governments weigh in, the public and the media are up in arms, trying to make sense of this extraterrestrial message.

While the government screens for likely candidates to be the first ambassador to ride the teleportation machine, Ellie's bid to be that person is thwarted by some key people. Her on and off paramour, Palmer Joss, a minister played by a miscast but not entirely egregious, Matthew McConaughey, questions Ellie's religious faith before a jury panel. As the panel regards Ellie's lack of faith a liability, she loses the candidacy to David Drumlin, her academic rival played by Tom Skerritt.

Without delving too much into plot detail, Ellie eventually gets to finally go on her journey. However, I won't say more except that the theme of religious faith comes to an elegant full circle. The implication that religion and science don't have to be mutually exclusive is a hard won conclusion that Foster's Ellie proves with heart and conviction.

From the start, Contact lets you in on its thematic scope. The opening sequence is a visually sweeping dazzler that firmly straps the viewer right to his seat. Director Robert Zemeckis grounds the story in the present (the film was released in 1997) by splicing in real life events and personages - much like he did in Forrest Gump - to achieve an authentic and visually immediate reality. For anyone who ever gave thought to what might exist beyond our own blue skies, Contact offers an entertaining, ambiguous, but thought provoking ride. It's a movie that suggests we may not be alone in the universe, but we don't have to fear this or feel alone about it. A sci-fi film that can achieve such, is worth occupying a space in my DVD library.