Hoodlum Reviews

• Feb 18, 2020

Boring, predictable, over-dramatized, bad acting, unrealistic, over-the-top.

Boring, predictable, over-dramatized, bad acting, unrealistic, over-the-top.

• Jan 12, 2020

I went with 2 movies I hold a soft spot for this movie because I have never heard about it or seen it till my bf showed it to me many years ago. I own this movie now it is one of his faves as it is one of my better movies that I have seen. Based on a true story set in Harlem NY years ago good story acting and actors, I say go give this movie a watch.

• Jul 07, 2019

A different director would of made this film fantastic, especially with the great performances. Still, a interesting watch

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    Oct 07, 2018

Great cast and a film that should have been one of the better mob films. The biggest issue is with the filmmakers style and lack of for the period. He attempts to paint Harlem in a different light but few can argue he achieved this. Fishburne and Roth playing together are some of the highlights, they are two powerful character actors and this is where the film shines. I think they missed a grand opportunity to make a film that would shine alongside the Godfather, but sadly it's just a time killing film. 06/10/2018.

• Feb 28, 2018

My first review for this movie, for whatever reason, did not get posted. This only strengthens my belief that the government (read Illuminati) does not want this movie to get the ratings it deserves...5 STARS. I'd like to see the government try to stop me this time those fools. This movie, to me, feels like that first warm day of spring after a long and cold winter. Walking outside, hearing newborn birds chirping for the first time, another of the many signs of new life after a time of death and desolation. The smell of the ground thawing, the sounds of aluminum bats ringing out down at the Little League field, the warm touch of Christ's love. From the opening scene to the closing credits, I found myself in a vacuum devoid of time and place; I was a child again, and everything was new but familiar. To say that I wept would be a disservice to the hot tears that stained my blouse, each drop echoing songs of love, loss, and rebirth. This was not a movie, this was a painting hung high against the heavens, with the paint running down on God's green earth in this eternal spring. And with this sun-shower, a star is born in Colin Sylvester. Few debut performances have been as brave, as raw, as bone-chilling and gut-wrenching as that of young Colin Sylvester as Chee Chee. Having never met Colin myself, I can only believe that we knew each other in a past life, perhaps as seafaring merchants addicted to the rolling waves of the Atlantic, or maybe birds born to sing a single song. Regardless of our history together in the cosmos, one thing is certain: this is not the last we will see of young Colin Sylvester. Captivating. Moving. A jewel that I shall cherish and love for the rest of my days, in this life and the next. 5 stars.

• Oct 28, 2017

Perhaps this was too interesting for the average movie goer. Brilliant Cast of Characters ACTING BRILLIANTLY.

• Jan 21, 2017

I hate movies that could be awesome that are too boring and long.

I hate movies that could be awesome that are too boring and long.

• Sep 25, 2016

A very good film but a bit too complex for me to follow and understand with my brain the way it is since the accident. Could be worth watching again in the future if I can start to concentrate and follow things better.

• Jul 21, 2016

1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time And 1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time.

• May 08, 2016

Good looking but generic Prohibition Era gangster film. Solid performances all around.