The End of the Affair Reviews

• Apr 28, 2020

Deborah Kerr está magnifica em cena.

Deborah Kerr está magnifica em cena.

• Mar 29, 2015

good ve3rswion of this but I also like the 1999 version too.

good ve3rswion of this but I also like the 1999 version too.

• Apr 05, 2014

★★★ (out of four) Part syrupy melodrama, and part thoughtful self exploration. "The End of the Affair" doesn't entirely succeed as a romantic drama of forbidden lovers, but it asks questions that 1950's cinema rarely attempted to ask. I applaud it for that and offer it a very mild recommendation. Maurice (Van Johnson) is a writer who has recently been discharged from the U.S. army. He continues where he left off...by resuming and affair he had been having with Sara (Deborah Kerr), the wife of one of his best friends (Peter Cushing). The lovers meet in an old house, that suffers a bombing attack while they are there. She thinks that Maurice is killed. She vows to God that if Maurice lives she will end the affair. Mauruce does survive and becomes confused by Sara's lack of interest in him. The film is very typical and almost tiresome in its way of dealing with the lovers. What I really liked is how Sara questions the existence of a God and the souol searching and hesitation she feels. Movies of the era rarely had one of their main characters question religion. It is interesting in that aspect...more so than in its routine elements. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Zeppo1/EndoftheAffairThe_zps58aa9e6a.jpg[/IMG]

• Feb 25, 2012

Thought provoking and honest.

Thought provoking and honest.

• Aug 18, 2009

a more contemplative version than the '99 version. i was somewhat distracted by kerr since i kept expecting yul brynner to show up.

• Aug 16, 2009

Maurice Bendrix (Van Johnson) is discharged from the U.S. army after being wounded in combat. He resumes his pre-war "job" as a writer and decides to stay on in London to write about the unsung heroes of the British homefront - the civil servants. While doing research for his book, Bendrix meets british beaureaucrat Henry Miles (Peter Cushing) at a party. Miles goes on to encourage Bendrix to interview his wife, Sarah (Deborah Kerr) as a source of information. What starts off as a professional relationship soon turns into something a bit more personal as Bendrix and Sarah find themselves very much attracted to each other. "Research" soon becomes a cover for their romantic trysts... What is interesting about this film is that it goes beyond what could have been the usual love-triangle kind of drama only to delve into something a bit more philosophical...touching on issues of love, jealousy, commitment, faith and religion. I think Deborah Kerr's character is the most interesting here. When a german V-1 "buzz bomb" explodes near Bendrix's apartment, she believes Bendrix to be dead. The "faithless" Sarah finds herself begging God for a miracle. She promises to end her "sinful" affair with Bendrix if only God would bring him back to life. Well, guess what..."God works in mysterious ways" - or so they say...and so begins Sarah's psychological dilemma with faith and God. Bendrix, meanwhile is perplexed with Sarah's change of character...and so does her husband Henry - who suspects, but does not want to believe that Sarah is having an affair. I liked John Mills here too. He plays a private investigator hired by the very jealous Bendrix to follow and report on Sarah - who is seemingly "seeing" somebody else... Although I still prefer David Lean's A BRIEF ENCOUNTER...THE END OF THE AFFAIR at the least touches upon some unexpected, yet very interesting themes... 7.5 / 10

• Jan 08, 2009

Great flick, although Deborah Kerr seems to end up mangled, paralyzed or dead too often in most of her films, lol. I guess it's the drama factor. Great acting. I love the struggle and inner turmoil these characters endure.

• Sep 14, 2008

good stuff better than the remake

good stuff better than the remake

• Sep 10, 2008

You can't go wrong with Deborah Kerr in a movie based on a Graham Greene novel. I like parts of this adaptation much better than the more recent one. Still one of my favorite books. This one handles the faith element much better than the new one (not surprising).

• Jul 15, 2008

This is one of my favorite books and I was extremely disappointed in the flm version with Julianne Moore and Ralph Fiennes. That version seemed to be more about the affair itself than the main character's struggle to understand love and faith. This version comes much closer to depicting the complexities of the novel. It is rather melodramatic (especially the music), but that's not suprising for a movie from the 1950s.