Rent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rent Reviews

½ October 7, 2016
Movie musical done right. Up with Mamma Mia & Grease as one of the best
September 8, 2016
A lot of people say they hate this movie, but I love it. The storyline might not be as strong as the original broadway musical,and I definetly think a couple of the songs could have had better vocal arrangements, but all in all, it's my favourite movie.
July 30, 2016
I dont quite understand why this only has a 5.8 rating. I thouroughly enjoyed this movie, mainly for the story, but the songs were great too. Although, I think together both the story and the songs are what make this movie beautiful, emotional and so damn tragic in its own way. If youre a fan of musicals, and love a good heartfelt story, I would recommend this.

There is however one thing that bothered me, a couple of the scenes that connected to the story were deleted, so you end up questioning what happened, where did this person go all of a sudden? But other than that its an amazing broadway musical/movie
June 25, 2016
Gay, Lesbian, broke, druggies, can't pay their rent ... didnt think it would be a big hit but then it went onto a Broadway stage and became a huge success.
½ May 30, 2016
Incredible music, but the story is extremely implausible and very poorly told
May 15, 2016
WHAT IS THE OBSESSION? God, I simply don't understand. The story SUCKS. Absolutely atrocious. As opposed to developing characters you feel for, the screenwriters create six of the most OBNOXIOUS, hard to like people imaginable. This cliche-ridden, tedious, lame movie tries way too hard and the acting is some of the worst of 2005. Stay away!
April 24, 2016
Setting aside the play's catchy songs and intriguing storylines, this film is an uninspired and superficial adaptation. It tries to be realistic, faithful and good-looking at the same time and in doing so forgets to be authentic. Quite a disappointment for the musical genre.
March 30, 2016
Such an amazing story of such great and unique people all together as a mini family that everyone wants. Ya they fight and ya they suffer but that's life. It expresses them so well and the actors did a great job. Had an awesome punk soundtrack that makes you want to jam out or cry. One of my new favorite musicals.
March 30, 2016
I think this does a superb job of tackling very hard problems in a way i have never seen any movie do before it is refreshing to see such a movie
March 26, 2016
This film did not age well. What was once inspiring to a pre-adolescent first-world hipster now appears whiny, petulant, and pretentious. It does speak to a very tiny window of history though, like a crass remake of Death of a Salesman. However the very universal message of life only being rented, not owned was watered down by selfish, spoiled, regressive young adults. Going through a similar artist communal experience confirmed what I was slowly starting to suspect. The only artists/individuals who "make it" are the ones who observe and care about helping others more acutely than they do themselves and using their art to further that goal.
March 23, 2016
At least a very open movie... but it could have been better.
February 3, 2016
Best movie ever, just throughly enjoyed it
January 29, 2016
If I were to summarize the film adaptation of Rent in one word it would be long. Rent took so long to realize what it wanted to be. In the description of the movie it says it's about love, having to pay rent and the struggle of AIDS. All these topics were in there but they kinda are all side topics. What I mean is that they all are poor and can't pay rent and that's the main plot line but the AIDS and love topics are sprinkled everywhere really. It was hard to get into the story because of the fast changing topics and as a result didn't really make me feel for much of the cast. I really enjoyed seeing the whole group together at once because there were really good musical numbers to go along with it. The best things about this movie are the energetic cast, fun and catchy songs, and the message it sends us about how some people suffer through a lot to live their lives. The AIDS story a lot of people can relate to believe it or not. This to me was the most touching element of the film, not the romances because of how rushed they felt besides Roger and Mimi. The others had little time to get to know each other and it was kind of sad because it would make a lot more sense if they had more background from the way they acted. The acting in the movie was solid, nothing groundbreaking or worth mentioning to someone except maybe Angel. The one thing you tell people about are the songs. Some of the songs I loved! Very few didn't work for me actually. The worst part of the movie is the ending though. It was one of the most rushed scenes I've ever seen. They were looking for Mimi for 5 minutes and then found her, they needed either a better montage that's spread over a period of time or just a better search I guess. I'm not saying I wanted the movie to be longer at all though because it was plenty long. The whole heaven thing at the end is really just laughable honestly. Spoilers but how Mimi wakes up after being in the park for a long time and her fever just then disappears is awfully planned. It should not have worked out that fast. Rent is a good musical on Broadway I'm sure but this film really doesn't do the theater one much glory as far as I know. The songs and actors from the show are what you go to see but other than that it's not great. C
½ January 8, 2016
"Rent" benefits from strong acting performances and lovable music that lives up to the intriguing and emotionally impacting themes that come from this musical. The acting, singing, and music are enough to carry this film, but it doesn't excuse the fact that director Chris Columbus directs on auto-pilot resulting in production design that feels enclosed and stage-like, and lacking personal touch.
½ December 18, 2015
Well honostly, Jonathan would've loved the film if he was still alive. But I know he must've seen it in spirit. He would've been happy to see most of the original cast return to become what they were 19 years ago.

This is one good film to watch, sure there may have been troubles while making it and it may not connect well with the screen, but it does connect to what Jonathan wanted to make in 1996.
½ November 21, 2015
I saw Beloit College perform 'Rent' last week and figured I should check out the film version of 'Rent' as well. I liked this film, but definitely feel that it is better as a musical than a movie. I liked that most of the Broadway actors were in the film and liked a majority of the songs quite a bit as they are very catchy. I really like the first half of the story, but feel like the second half moves too quickly and this happened too fast to believe. Overall I'm not usually a big fan of musicals, but the ones I do like I like quite a bit and this one falls in the middle.
November 12, 2015
Having never seen the play I came at this with an open mind. Although it seemed "a bit much" that these sick and broke characters looked like flawless models and actors through much of the film, the often great music, deep love between the characters, often wonderful and moving music, theme of Art vs. commerce, ultimately won me over and I was deeply touched by the film.
November 3, 2015
A good adaption of what I know of the Broadway show. However, half the songs could've and should've been cut out to make for a better flowing movie
September 28, 2015
The musical's depth is lost during the transition from stage to screen.
August 24, 2015
With Rents faithful screen adaptation, Director Chris Columbus sadly reveals many of the inherent faults of Rents narrative and characters, but thankfully the music is as big and playful here as it is on stage.