Rent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rent Reviews

½ July 31, 2017
Nothing rings true in this insufferable musical that doesn't have any focus and is filled with awful songs of pedestrian lyrics (some of them sung by terrible singers), centered on a completely artificial and outdated idea of New York based on stereotypes and clichés.
½ July 13, 2017
great voices and acting. terrible direction. terrible TERRIBLE direction. why did columbus feel the need to zoom in on every shot??? just see the show.
June 1, 2017
This is the best Broadway musical ever, the songs are awesome and the actors and actresses are the best and let me just say that Idina Menzel is the best in this movie. LIke she was really good in "Over The Moon" and "Take Me Or Leave Me." I honestly just love this movie so freaking much!!!
½ May 24, 2017
Terrible boring musical play to film adaptation starring Rosario Dawson, the guy from dazed and confused, the guy from the flash and the girl from frozen. I hated this movie, I like the season's of love because I sang that song in highschool but everything else in this movie is really really bad. I was bored 75 percent of this movie. I thought this movie would be about rent and that's it but made it boring.
May 3, 2017
Good movie good musical
½ April 20, 2017
Though it will likely please fans of the show, unlikable characters, uninteresting direction, hit-and-miss songs and Bohemian pretention will make Rent rather annoying for other viewers.
½ March 5, 2017
Some good songs, fun moments, not really enjoyed as a whole though.
½ February 11, 2017
Might not be exactly like the actual musical, but still pretty damn good
January 10, 2017
I didn't like it. The characters seemed like stereotypes and they seemed like jerks.
January 3, 2017
I am ashamed to say I had not previously seen this movie. It is awesome and everyone should see it. Which means everyone should see it on broadway too I suppose.... if it is ever possible.
December 28, 2016
a greatly human interpretation of struggles that perfectly pairs with the music.
November 27, 2016
This movie is absolutely amazing. It's my favorite it has amazing music and acting. I cry every time and if I could I would put more stars!
½ November 5, 2016
Bland, boring and annoying, filled to the brim with lazy slackers clapping themselves on the back for refusing to stop slacking and for being "artists" that gets absolutely nothing done. Interesting ideas without any setup or payoff. Boring people that seems more interested in looking pretty than singing with emotion (Except for the guy playing Roger, he was kinda nice to listen to). Bland sets and uninteresting choreography. A lesbian couple that kinda reminded me of some sixteen-year-old-girls i have seen in my days - "Look, i am a lesbian, i make out with my friends to get attention!" Lots of interesting themes - transgender, bohemian life style, homosexuality - that all gels into a bland, unfocused and storyless mess with - for me - boring songs. Two or three nice songs, some interesting ideas and one or two nice locations plus the prescense of Angel and Joanne saved me from finding it unbearable. I am very clearly missing something here!
November 4, 2016
My favourite musical ever think the cast do the stage version justice and continue to constantly watch and sing a long
September 8, 2016
A lot of people say they hate this movie, but I love it. The storyline might not be as strong as the original broadway musical,and I definetly think a couple of the songs could have had better vocal arrangements, but all in all, it's my favourite movie.
July 30, 2016
I dont quite understand why this only has a 5.8 rating. I thouroughly enjoyed this movie, mainly for the story, but the songs were great too. Although, I think together both the story and the songs are what make this movie beautiful, emotional and so damn tragic in its own way. If youre a fan of musicals, and love a good heartfelt story, I would recommend this.

There is however one thing that bothered me, a couple of the scenes that connected to the story were deleted, so you end up questioning what happened, where did this person go all of a sudden? But other than that its an amazing broadway musical/movie
June 25, 2016
Gay, Lesbian, broke, druggies, can't pay their rent ... didnt think it would be a big hit but then it went onto a Broadway stage and became a huge success.
½ May 30, 2016
Incredible music, but the story is extremely implausible and very poorly told
May 15, 2016
WHAT IS THE OBSESSION? God, I simply don't understand. The story SUCKS. Absolutely atrocious. As opposed to developing characters you feel for, the screenwriters create six of the most OBNOXIOUS, hard to like people imaginable. This cliche-ridden, tedious, lame movie tries way too hard and the acting is some of the worst of 2005. Stay away!
April 24, 2016
Setting aside the play's catchy songs and intriguing storylines, this film is an uninspired and superficial adaptation. It tries to be realistic, faithful and good-looking at the same time and in doing so forgets to be authentic. Quite a disappointment for the musical genre.