Jarhead Reviews

• Nov 08, 2020

It's an interesting portrayal of deployment life. Not much happens, but I guess that's kind of the point in this one. It almost comes off as documentary-like. It's okay. I don't think I would watch it again. By the time I got to the last 25 mins, I was kind of over it.

• Oct 10, 2020

this movie is a forgotten Masterpiece by one of my favorite directors Sam Mendes!!!!!!!!!!

• Oct 04, 2020

one of the dark side of war: waiting

one of the dark side of war: waiting

Dann M Super Reviewer
    Aug 10, 2020

"Every war is different. Every war is the same." From director Sam Mendes comes the compelling war drama Jarhead. Based on a memoir by Anthony Swofford, the film follows Swofford as he joins the Marines and is recruited to be a sniper, but he soon finds himself stationed in Saudi Arabian as part of Operation Desert Shield endlessly waiting to see action. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx, Peter Sarsgaard, Lucas Black, and Chris Cooper, a film features a strong cast that gives good performances. And Mendes does a great job at capturing the isolation and beauty of the desert, and at showing the horrors of war. Additionally, Thomas Newman provides a terrific score. Yet at times the film gets a little crass and vulgar, but it's also incredible honest. While it has some problems, Jarhead is a powerful look at the life of a soldier.

• Jul 17, 2020

A raw and inmersive look at the horrors of war, with excellent performances, beautiful cinematography, and haunting but emotionally dissonant narrative.

• Jul 09, 2020

One of the first films I watched that made me started loving films. A must see!

One of the first films I watched that made me started loving films. A must see!

• Jul 08, 2020

I did not at all like this film. Jake Gyllenhaal's worst movie.

I did not at all like this film. Jake Gyllenhaal's worst movie.

• Jun 01, 2020

Anyone who wants a glimpse into the life of the actual U.S. Military, and especially the lives of the average grunt stuck in the middle of nowhere in the desert, this is a MUST SEE! In the limited time, I had at a Military Academy, and the time I had gotten to know and interact with Veterans who had served in Afghanistan and Iraq. This hits true, from the craziness that happens on the FOB, the Jody Calls hitting hard, and then everyone going back to laughing about it, this is probably one of the most true-to-life films you can find on Netflix or anywhere else. War isn't Glorious, and this one hits that point on the head. It also shows soldiers and Marines in the way they know themselves best, a bunch of idiots and dumb***es who find anyway to pleasure themselves, have fun, and most importantly cope with the stress of war, that being humor for most.

• Mar 09, 2020

Jarhead scivola ingenuamente in approssimazioni narrative ed esagerazioni di fondo che rovinano in parte il realismo della pellicola. Resta comunque un'opera coraggiosa ed innovativa che garantisce uno sguardo diverso rispetto al normale film di guerra. L'attesa e l'ansia sono i veri protagonisti, supportate da una sceneggiatura pragmatica che ci fa vedere la guerra da un'altra nuova prospettiva.

• Feb 04, 2020

Upon first viewing, 'Jarhead' is no more than a portrait of the psychological challenges of slightly fucked up war vet. Yet, after the credits role, this film settles into your bones and it doesn't leave. It's a sad and Nihilistic view of war. Which is accurate (I think.) I dont like to watch this film alot. I cant. Sam Mendes creates a gorgeous yet scary atmosphere with amazing cinematography which shows the gritty, dirty reality of it all. A strong cast of actors, with Gyllenhaal, Foxx, and Sarsgaard showing talent. This film is not a trigger-happy gun show, but instead a poignant portrayal of soldiers battling themselves instead of the enemy. It's quite a poignant experience even if it be such a sorrowful one. "My despair is less despair than boredom and loneliness." -Swoff