Elegy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Elegy Reviews

March 6, 2016
Smart, mature, well-acted and elegantly crafted, Elegy is a beautiful piece of work that poses deep existential ideas.
½ January 23, 2016
Quietly beautiful, with powerhouse acting from Kingsley, Cruz and Clarkson.
September 5, 2014
wow....sad.....very very very touching......man this is such a really really really sad movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that penelope cruz, ben kingsley, dennis hopper (.R.I.P.), patricia clarkson, peter sarsgaard, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....i think that the director of this drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch, it is such a beautifully directed movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....i think that both penelope cruz/ben kingsley were absolutley brilliant throughout this movie.....

Elegy received generally favorable reviews from the majority of critics. It currently holds a 75% "Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes with the consensus "An intelligent, adult, and provocative Philip Roth adaptation that features classy performances, Elegy is never quite the sum of its parts." The film also holds a rating of 66/100 based on thirty-two reviews on Metacritic, indicating "generally favorable" reviews

Top ten lists::
The film appeared on several critics' top ten lists of the best films of 2008.
3rd - Kimberly Jones, The Austin Chronicle
4th - Mike Russell, The Oregonian
5th - Marjorie Baumgarten, The Austin Chronicle
6th - Andrea Gronvall, Chicago Reader

man this is such a really really really sad movie 2 watch, it is such a brilliantly well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....,man this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....

the whole cast is::::

Antonio Cupo as Younger Man
Michelle Harrison as 2nd Student
Sonja Bennett as Beth
Chelah Horsdal as Susan Reese

man this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, this is such a really really really sad movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie, it is such a really really really sad movie 2 watch,

The film is set in New York City, but was filmed in Vancouver

its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie....man this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie, man this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is such a really sad movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....man this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie....it is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is a really really really sad movie 2 watch, but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch......
July 28, 2014
Draining, powerful character study.
April 22, 2014
There comes along a film that causes wonder, a change of current, and ultimately causes a reexamination of importances in every relationship.

For the accords we carry, at times, we place them beneath our microscope of discernment in a petri dish for scrutiny- we then determine those we leave and others we yearn to hold onto.

Kingsley's character was a seasoned tom cat who refuted commitments until tragedy struck the very breasts of a young brunette he adored- 30 years younger in Penelope Cruz' character.

In short, following the death of his close friend (Hopper) and the release of an unwarranted relationship with a damsel his age, he found purpose. He found the answer to what his heart relayed countless of times when wallowing in the rain, after each of his insecurities and heart of brokenness, a revealing illuminated him through that hurtful space, and he found the definition in someone who truly loved him.
January 22, 2014
Great acting by both leads, but something is missing!
December 7, 2013
If you are an old man who dreams of sex with a young woman, or are a young woman who dreams of sex with an older man then this movie is for you. Add in some refined artsy fartsy plays, pictures and other pseudo classics and the movie is done. Acting is strong due to Ben who gives his character a posh predator disposition making for involvedness that stings. Nibbles: Roast Pheasant with wine gravy.
December 3, 2013
A tame, uneven and only mildly sucessfull adaptation of Roth's energic, confrontacional and "naughty" novel "The Dying Animal". Kingsley, Hopper and Peter Sarsgaard's give tremendous performances that help elevate the film beyond it's restrained screenplay, one that poorly explores the themes and zest of the novel it's based on.
½ November 11, 2013
Interesting story, great acting by Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz, yet the plot moves so slowly you feel like fast-forwarding most of the time.
October 17, 2013
thoughtful drama. love the two stars
½ October 3, 2013
Didn't think a Kingsley/Cruz combo would work but it did. Ben his usual charming self also Penelope Cruz is absolutely stunning. At first i found Kingsley's character annoying and wanted to reach my hand into the tv and give him a slap. Intelligent script, well acted, Dennis Hopper taking some time away from blowing up buses, the lovely Patricia Clarke as Kapesh's long term flingy person. 'Melancholy with a spark of hope.'
½ September 18, 2013
Beautifully shot and performed, watching this was a pleasure. However, like David Kepesh's life, the experience was ultimately empty and unfulfilling. Somehow these characters seemed a step removed from everyday reality, and the plot structure leaves open questions about beauty and desirability. This is probably more to do with Roth's story and the difficulties encountered in adapting it for the screen, than anything else. Kingsley, Cruz, Hopper and the rest of the cast do sterling work in giving the characters some depth, but ultimately there is something not quite believable about them.
August 27, 2013
If you can handle Kepesh's unpleasant personality, deal with the 'woe is me, I'm getting old' approach to morality, accept the style that screams ''this is so mature!' and let some rather disappointing story developments go then what's left is a surprisingly strong and well-delivered piece with top-notch performances all round, its own unique feel, and a satisfying story.

Kepesh isn't a good guy and since we follow him, that may put people off but I like seeing different perspectives, regardless of how unpleasant they are and Kingsley's performance makes Kepesh interesting and worth following even if we aren't exactly rooting for him. Consuela is a more likeable character and it's fair to say that this story I as much, if not more, about her than it is about Kepesh.

I've seen too many movies where they play a piece by Satie every ten minutes to try and seem meaningful and this one is very much guilty of doing the same but it's well-shot and the performances are such that I'd say it actually pulls it off. That won't be to everyone's liking though but aesthetically, I felt like there was some real class here.

It's a fairly depressing work but that should be pretty clear from the title and I don't necessarily find that to be a bad thing- it's not melodramatic but instead has a surprising delicacy in contrast to the stark outlook expressed by its main character. The script feels confident and able and when the film stalls it never falls apart. The story overall isn't as good as it easily could have been, though it's consistently interesting, but the real strength here is the cast who fully live up to the expectations that one would put on them. Definitely recommended, particularly if the cast seems to your liking but you will probably find some niggling issues when all is said and done.
July 9, 2013
An unlikely match (Kingsley & Cruz) that just works. Beautifully shot with lovely nuanced themes - Mortality, lust, beauty...
June 7, 2013
como siempre Penelope <3 <3
May 1, 2013
Me gustaria que colocaran en la pagina las peliculas relacionadas, veo que han quitado esa opcion en la pagina. Era muy buena esa opcion que tenian
April 24, 2013
little bit strange movie
April 20, 2013
tear jerker to the max!
April 13, 2013
Nunca tengas miedo del amor. Pen├┬ (C)lope como siempre regia, y Ben Kingsley como siempre interesante y sensual, pero en este film, sus miedos m├┬ís fuertes. !No te la pierdas!
April 9, 2013
Great movie! Ben Kingsley is absoluteley perfect for this role, and Penelope is beautiful and very good. One of my fav movie.