Quarantine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quarantine Reviews

½ March 22, 2018
Hey there, American remake. So once again, this is about a television production crew (Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Harris), shadowing a couple of firefighters on a night that escalates to being something that is far more dangerous than expected with the quickness. Now [Rec] is so damn good that there was never any chance that it wasn't going to be left to stand on its own. It's just not how Hollywood does horror, and they've been remaking foreign horror movies for decades now. Most people I know hate Quarantine, but believe it or not, I am not actually one of those people. I do hold the original in such high regard that I will say that this doesn't hold a candle to it, but the source material is strong enough that I think that this is still worthwhile, regardless of what language it is in. This is essentially a shot for shot remake with about ten minutes of extra footage peppered in. They stay true to everything in the original minus one rather large item: they completely change specific details to ending. I guess they assumed that Americans needs a full explanation instead of leaving something open-ended, and by doing so, they completely lost the ability to stay parallel with the sequels. It is almost like the direction to take [Rec] 2 where it goes was a direct response to this remake, sort of like a "well I'll show you". I don't like that decision to explain what this is all about in Quarantine, and it cheapens the mystery. Also, I'm not a giant fan of Jennifer Carpenter, and even though I don't speak Spanish, I can tell you that Manuela Velasco is a far better actress. Carpenter overdoes it in a number of different spots, and it pulls me out of it when she turns it up to eleven, simply because she can't effectively pull it off. Much like Let Me In and Let the Right One In, these movies are well done enough to both be worthy of a recommendation. Also in that same manner, the original is just so much better, there really isn't much reason to watch the remake unless you cannot stand reading subtitles, and that is just a really close-minded way to approach cinema. Really, this movie is only worth watching if you are a hardcore fan of the series, which I do consider myself to be.
March 19, 2018
This is a watchable horror flick with good performances and the right tone. I could do without discussion of the REC series. It's like saying "the book was better". This film is this film and stands on its own just fine, regardless of influence and sources.
½ February 23, 2018
Here be major spoiler....

Docked a point (or half a star) for killing the dog. NOT ok! ??

***1/2
January 7, 2018
A really great horror film, made apparently just months after the Spanish original Rec. What I don't understand is so many people saying this is not as good? It's almost the same film scene for scene, but with a different cast and set in LA. Only changes from the original are a few more attacks and the origin of the virus was changed slightly. The only real problem if you have seen the original first is you know what is coming and when viewing second time round it's not so scary. Otherwise almost a carbon copy of the original but in English. Watch out for Rec2!
October 29, 2017
I liked watching Quarantine, but it doesn't hold up like other movies like this.
½ October 15, 2017
It has a few good, scary moments, but overall Quarantine was bland and nothing new.
August 17, 2017
I thought this was very good. It's not quite as scary, gory, or action packed as you might have expected. I really loved it though. It was so real feeling. It was so well acted, with great characters, and very well shot. It was only about an hour and a half, but it used its time well, and it felt like a really good, worthy of it, hour and a half! I really can't see too many cons with it! It's mostly just that it feels a little incomplete without more scares, gore, and action. I watched this 8/16/17, and am writing this review 8/17/17.
July 25, 2017
Quarantine has a number of scares throughout but it can't supersede many of the other, more skillful horror movies in recent years, falling to the same conventions that most found-footage movies do.
July 8, 2017
Pretty boring throughout with poor ability to get you emotionally infested in any of the characters. When a little girl and a dog die without any sympathy you know you got a problem
½ June 30, 2017
Over dramatic acting, poor quality, predictable, all round terrible film that gets worse throughout! Don't bother wasting your life watching it.
May 26, 2017
Diving its game cast of zombie bait head first into the unnerving locale of an apartment building, Quarantine uses nail-biting tension and nonstop, brilliantly calibrated thrills to explore anxieties about confinement, adding up to a dizzyingly gory horror film that'll leave you breathless until the end credits.
May 22, 2017
Started to watch this, but could see where it was going...so decided not to waste my time.
½ May 22, 2017
This movie is very, very good! i could watch it all day and would never get tired of it. The way it is made is downright amazing!
DrStrangeblog
March 17, 2017
Gets off to a good start but devolves into the shakiest, most chaotic handheld can movies I've seen. There are some good scare us along the way , but but others so calculated that I knew when they were coming., like with the little girl and the dog in the elevator. That the people were total morons didn't help their cause either - would you touch someone that looked like they spent six weeks with the Ebola virus? Jennifer Carpender looks really good in a ponytail, I wish it were her hair that way during Dexter, and gives one of the most realistic for trails of pure terror during the last half hour. That said, she's constantly screaming and really grates on the movie experience. Add in that you're almost in complete darkness during that time, and becomes a real ordeal the reach the finish line. Even so, I won't let this dissuade me from watching the Mexican original which is no doubt superior as they often are.
½ February 25, 2017
Solid horror film. Not the best horror film ever, but not the worst either. Every character's fate, you can guess within 30 minutes of the film. Everyone is pretty stupid except the firefighter and the original caller. Dennis O'Hare is in here, so that scores some more points. Not by any means a must see, but it's still pretty effective by conjuring up some scares through the use of found footage.
January 27, 2017
Competently made but very dull, it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly why I didn't think Quarantine worked even though [Rec] did. Scenes are lifted almost exactly, but something is lacking in the execution, and they just don't feel scary - with the exception of the last 5 minutes or so, which comes close to capturing the level of fear of the last 5 minutes of the original film. In addition, Jennifer Carpenter lacks the charisma to carry a film like this imho. My opinion of this movie would vary drastically had I never seen the original, but it's hard for me to understand why this one needs to exist, being that I found it so much less freaky.
January 24, 2017
Quarantine, a unnrcessary remake.
October 24, 2016
This was a really bad movie. On top of being poorly directed, no story, no plot, it was shot in 1st person view, which was horrible. I gave a 2 rating. It had been on my list of luke-warm movies to view, but the disappointment was even greater than I bargained for. Poor lighting, poor acting and just poor movie-making all around. A far superior movie along the same lines came out 13 years earlier starring Dustin Hoffman. It was called "Outbreak". A far superior and far scarier movie.
August 3, 2016
This movie was awesome!! I recommend it for horror fans out there!! It's a great bloody movie! very interesting!
jamrcla
½ July 29, 2016
A frame to frame American version of [REC], Still pretty good but if you seen [REC] then you know what's coming and when, Only a few extra scenes added in but the Spanish original version is much more scarier, But if you haven't seen the original then maybe you will find it more enjoyable.