Shutter Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shutter Island Reviews

April 21, 2017
I'm half way through it... So far, so good...
April 6, 2017
One of the best movies I watched. Surreal plot but great storytelling. I am wondering why this is underrated.
½ April 4, 2017
While this is nowhere near the quality of Scorsese's best films, Shutter Island is still able to make good use of its source material to make a haunting mystery thriller.

2 detectives investigating a disappearance at a mental institution find that the island may be more than they imagined. They soon realize that there may not be a way off of the island and they might be killed if they continue to stay on it.

Firstly, this is nowhere near the quality of some of Scorsese's best films. However, it still manages to provide enough to keep the viewer interested. Although the pacing is slow for the most part, it never feels boring at all and the movie keeps you engaged throughout. This is an ultimately soul-crushing and thought provoking film which you will constantly maintain a certain amount of suspense which doesn't get lost anytime soon in it.

The acting is overall solid on all parts. Leonardo DiCaprio gives a great performance as always. It may not be one of his best performances but he is still able to play a convincing character. All the other actors give great performances as well but most of my attention was focused on DiCaprio as I felt that he was the only one I noticed and he was the only one who stood out to me.

Scorsese tries to make an unpredictable plot twist but after Teddy Daniels starts questioning things, it's clear what direction the movie is going in and I wasn't as blown away by the plot twist as I was with other movies with great plot twists. I felt that Scorsese gave too many hints to it and some of them were too obvious. This is why I feel that this is a weaker film compared to his other works.

I know that I've said this twice already but I'm going to say it one last time. This is a good movie but it is nothing compared to his other masterworks. The plot twist is hinted at too much and I wasn't completely blown away by it as I hoped I would be. However, this movie was able to keep my attention throughout and I would say that it's worth a watch. Just don't expect it to be anything special.
March 11, 2017
This is the film Leo should've won the Best Actor Oscar for. A criminally under-rated and forgotten film, this is a magnificent and disturbing film with stunning performances, expert direction and a cracking plot. Brilliant.
½ March 6, 2017
On first viewing I thought it was a good movie, but this is one of those that stay in your mind for the following days. I watched some reviews and analyses, as well as re watched some key scenes, and its just amazing all the clues and symbols we miss the first time. This is a movie that gets better with every re-watch and it is, in my opinion, an underestimated gem of Scorsese. If you like psychological thrillers, like me, definitely give this one a chance.
February 28, 2017
When it works, it works extremely well, even while it seems to be more focused on being confusing to the audience than on telling an emotional and cohesive story.
February 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 27, 2017
One of the most challenging films to watch. A dark, twisted, yet brilliant thriller by Martin Scorsese. Wished it was more entertaining and have more memorable scenes though.
jamrcla
January 17, 2017
Excellent film, Good twist at the end, The film does well on keeping us guessing and at the edge of our seats, It sometimes can be a little hard to follow but just hang in until the end and you will have the answer to all the questions, And it's worth it, It's a must see.
½ January 16, 2017
Depressing and illogical
January 11, 2017
Leonardo DiCaprio is good at every role he is in. When I watch this, I was surprise to see the ending and the character he played. I don't know how he pulled off this character as I like to think of it as a Oscar worthy performance just like every movie he has done because he has never failed me as a movie goers
January 8, 2017
Por las evidentes señales que da desde el principio asumo que ser predecible no es algo que busca evitar, y que la revelación no pretende marcar un giro inesperado sino meramente aclarar las particularidades. 6/10

- People tell the world you're crazy and all your protests to the contrary just confirm what they're saying. Once you're declared insane, anything you do is called part of that insanity. Reasonable protests are 'denial'. Valid fears 'paranoia'. Survival instincts are 'defense mechanisms'.
January 6, 2017
Even tho you can be disappointed by the time that the end approaches, it's still a good thriller.
½ January 4, 2017
All of the typical thriller nonsense is in there, but it's the acting from both DiCaprio and Kingsley as well as the way the story unfolds from Scorsese's vision that will really hook you in.
½ December 30, 2016
Twist and twist then twist, Shutter Island is not only a well-made suspense movie but also delivers a shocking ending with plenty of undetectable foreshadowing to the audience.
½ December 3, 2016
The new Scorsese/DiCaprio partnership! Gripping! Fantastic twist!
Some creepy music which is quite effective.
But I think the movie is too long. Also, there are probably some incoherences in Teddy Daniels (DiCaprio)'s behavior in some specific scenes.
November 26, 2016
Scorsese fully embraces the transcends the pulpy premise into an enthralling and twisted mystery with sorrow to boot.
November 19, 2016
Great movie, I don't understand why the rating is so low :c
November 16, 2016
This is going to be a hard movie to review because I don't want to spoil anything. For that reason, expect this review to be short. Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. If I could compare it to anything, it would be Martin's Scorsese's version of The Shining, mixed in with some themes of German Cinema in the 1920's. What that means is that is often deals with themes like the unreliable narrator and shifting reality. The story takes place at a mental institution. Since the patients all have messed up brains, the film also messes up yours. Shot cuts are extremely choppy and random flashbacks are thrown into the mix all adding to the level of wickedness of the island. Leonardo DiCaprio is great once again with Martin Scorsese behind the camera. Great additions of Ben Kingsley and Mark Ruffalo really elevate the film as well. This is not so much a horror film as it is a psychological thriller, but that doesn't mean it won't give you chills. That is exactly what this film did so well for me and I believe it will do the same to you. Give you the chills!
November 15, 2016
it's a wonderful experience, not kind a movie you expect from martin scorsese, really underrated picture but still movie shines with memorable music, charachters and mindblowing twist. MODERN CLASSIC.