Shutter Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shutter Island Reviews

July 22, 2016
***
It looks stunning, and DiCaprio is great, but one can't help but feel with the talent of Scorsese behind the camera, this should have been better than it was.
July 19, 2016
While this is nowhere near the quality of Scorsese's best films, Shutter Island is still able to make good use of its source material to make a haunting mystery thriller.

2 detectives investigating a disappearance at a mental institution find that the island may be more than they imagined. They soon realize that there may not be a way off of the island and they might be killed if they continue to stay on it.

Firstly, this is nowhere near the quality of some of Scorsese's best films. However, it still manages to provide enough to keep the viewer interested. Although the pacing is slow for the most part, it never feels boring at all and the movie keeps you engaged throughout. This is an ultimately soul-crushing and thought provoking film which you will constantly maintain a certain amount of suspense which doesn't get lost anytime soon in it.

The acting is overall solid on all parts. Leonardo DiCaprio gives a great performance as always. It may not be one of his best performances but he is still able to play a convincing character. All the other actors give great performances as well but most of my attention was focused on DiCaprio as I felt that he was the only one I noticed and he was the only one who stood out to me.

Scorsese tries to make an unpredictable plot twist but after Teddy Daniels starts questioning things, it's clear what direction the movie is going in and I wasn't as blown away by the plot twist as I was with other movies with great plot twists. I felt that Scorsese gave too many hints to it and some of them were too obvious. This is why I feel that this is a weaker film compared to his other works.

I know that I've said this twice already but I'm going to say it one last time. This is a good movie but it is nothing compared to his other masterworks. The plot twist is hinted at too much and I wasn't completely blown away by it as I hoped I would be. However, this movie was able to keep my attention throughout and I would say that it's worth a watch. Just don't expect it to be anything special.
July 17, 2016
Wonderfully made suspense thriller.
The islands setting fantastic with a hurricane and lashing rain for most of the film are perfect as the story unfolds.
The direction is spotless building a well rounded story up, paced nicely even in the final third.
Di Caprio is brilliant, one of his best performances backed up by an impeccable Ben Kingsley and Mark Ruffallo.
Well made film, well directed and acted with a great plot..
½ July 8, 2016
which is worse: to live as a monster, or to die as a good man?
July 3, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: This movie has one hell of a complex story, but it's one that can deal with some very interesting themeatic ideas as a result. Not only that, but the story also offers an excellent premise for a genuinely thrilling experience with plenty of exciting turns and tense sequences that make for a griping and engaging experience that makes the final reveal all the more shocking. Overall then, it's the story that makes this film, but it can't be denied that this is helped enormously by excellent performances from DiCaprio and Ruffalo.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: You really do have to be in 'the right mood' as if you lose concentration, it's not the kind of movie that lends itself to audience catch-ups.
VERDICT: A thriller in more ways than one, this movie has an incredible story that will keep you engaged right up to the end, but only if you can stay in it for that long.
June 14, 2016
This is NOT a horror film. The trailers were false advertising. Putting that aside, the movie at its core isn't really that good. It had some nice visuals, a good cast, score, set pieces, etc. but it wasn't that good of a film. It was disappointing. Right now i can't give it a "fresh" rating either, i wish i could.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW
First of all, i hated the fact that this was advertised as a horror, it wasn't even trying to be scary, this was a mystery film. The main villain you see the trailer is in ONE SCENE IN THE ENTIRE F-ING FILM! Laeddis seemed like such a scary interesting character but he is only in it for maybe 30 seconds of the entire film. The twist at the end doesn't even go into why Teddy pictured Laeddis in this form or how he came to be, just that he simply shows up as the killer, This movie didn't make much sense and was actually pretty damn stupid, the story wasn't well written and the twist ending was confusing so i can only give this a 5 for the reasons listed above. 5/10.
½ June 11, 2016
The first time I watched this I didn't enjoy it but upon second viewing I realised it is a clever and original film. The score is daunting just like Scorsese's direction and DiCaprio and Ruffalo are fantastic. I find the subtle hints that give you clues towards the plot twist are very elaborate and watching the film back it does make a lot of sense.
½ May 23, 2016
DiCaprio and Scorsese together are quite thrilling. Upon re-watch it makes more sense, though Marty has made better films, and Leo has performed better roles in better films.
May 23, 2016
A very well done drama/thriller
May 20, 2016
A great mystery thriller that keeps you questioning what is really going on. Martin Scorsese's best film if you ask me! (First and only viewing - 5/20/2016)
May 19, 2016
Shutter Island is heart poundiogly thrilling from start to finish. Scorcesse does a wonderful job at creating a tense and isolated atmosphere and also gets great work from Leo and Ruffalo.
May 16, 2016
Really good movie not really scary but has suspense and a lot of twists
½ May 14, 2016
Smart and dark, and crowned with a good plot-tiwst.
May 11, 2016
Great acting, especially by Leo. I would have preferred more of a whodunnit, but I love the ending.
May 1, 2016
You have to watch the movie twice in order to truly understand it. Everything plays out differently once you know the end.
April 28, 2016
Shutter Island is an intense and really gets in your skin, it's a good watch, Martin Scorsese is great yet again.
April 3, 2016
An eerie themed thriller that is very underrated. This is NOT A HORROR MOVIE so please do not go in expecting to come out scared. This film is a great psychological thriller.
½ March 28, 2016
Leonard Dicaprio is Teddy Daniels a U.S marshal sent with his partner Chuce Aule (Mark Ruffalo) to investigate a missings person report on Shutter Island. Shutter Island is a place that holds some of the most dangerous and criminally insane patients under the care of a Dr. Crawley (Ben Kingsley). As he investigates things become more and more suspicious indicating something sinister is occurring on the island in a form of a cover up. Flashbacks and dramatic dreams indicate that he himself has had a troubled past himself. The more he learns, he starts to question his own partner, the doctors, and eventually his own sanity. Shutter Island is a decent film that has a decent suspense element to it. Although not a typical film for Scorsese, the film was well directed and is a solid film overall.
March 27, 2016
leonardo dicaprio does a very fine acting job trying to portray someone who's slowly going insane. the movie has some great acting characters, plot, and the fact that acclaimed director martin scorsese made the film just makes you want to see it. A very fine film.
March 26, 2016
The suspense of the movie keeps you interested, even though the movie might be a bit slow at times, but the ending is definitely worth the wait.