Shutter Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shutter Island Reviews

½ February 9, 2018
brilliantly constructed mystery.
February 7, 2018
When you talk about the DiCaprio/Scorsese pairings I feel like The Departed and The Wolf of Wall Street always dominate the conversation, and both of them are two of their best works, no question. But in my opinion Shutter Island is just as memorable and every bit a classic as the others. The movie carries an effortless sense of dread and creeping paranoia that few films ever come close to emanating and when the twist is finally revealed and you let it sink in and process for a bit, you want to go back and watch it again and catch everything you missed on the first viewing. Scorsese has made no secret about how much he loves and reveres Alfred Hitchcock and his work and if nothing else this film is a brilliant tribute not only to Hitchcock's work but all of the suspense and thriller masters of Hollywood's golden era. 5/5.
February 3, 2018
7.7/10
Amazing plot and performance by Leo DiCaprio, however , everything was explained at the end, wasting a huge opportunity to leave my mind blown.
Mark H.
½ January 31, 2018
This is a difficult movie to review. I've seen it a few times, but not recently. Simply put, this movie is much ado about nothing. It's so much less than the sum of it's impressive parts. Great actors. Great location. Even a so-so story in the hands of a very talented director can't save this average film. It's not terrible. It's just so, so average when it should have been a masterpiece. I do enjoy some scenes, and I love the location. But the truth is, this is an overblown, over-baked "mystery" that is pretty preposterous.
½ January 21, 2018
A movie that keeps you thinking all the time. Whenever things clear up you go back to old hints and rethink the whole development. In the end you can describe the whole movie as a disturbing and mind-challenging feat.
I do not really care about the open end as I am just impressed by the thrilling depiction of a disturbed brain. It feels like I finally understood a lunatic and this is just a remarkable achievement.
The acting is as good as you expect this cast to perform and the whole portrayal is just fitting. A lot of critics did not like the exaggerated weather and decay of the institute, but to me this is just another way of displaying the mental influence.
January 16, 2018
Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio, Shutter Island. This thriller movie is not recommended for people who love movies with an easy plot but this is a great movie although it is not Martin Scorsese masterpiece. One more thing, this movie will drive you any crazy.
½ January 9, 2018
A Scorsese genre film, "Shutter Island" is as chilling as it is unpredictable.
January 5, 2018
A movie that takes you on an adventure with Leonardo Dicaprio with no holding back on the chills and great story!
January 4, 2018
A really good psychological thriller. Very well directed by Scorsese. This film literally has your brain working through out. great performance from DiCaprio, thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ January 1, 2018
Why does this have such a low rating, one of my favorite movies of all time
½ December 31, 2017
Surprisingly flat and cliched with a climax that underwhelms. We should all expect more from the talents involved.
December 25, 2017
F

7.6

[Martin Scorsese]
½ December 22, 2017
A good thing about this movie is it makes the audience think they are mad. Nothing more than a fantastic masterpiece and no wonder the crew had done a spectacular job.
½ December 19, 2017
Really enjoyed it. Strongly acted and well directed but the twist was a little too obvious for me. Didn't stop this being a very good film however.
December 18, 2017
Excellent Tomato

nice content.....reflecting the reality of political society.....this gives different audiences with different mindset a different ending.
December 1, 2017
Due to other high review I thought this movie was going to be a great thriller. Wrong. Bloody rubbish.. Predictable, silly plot parts, totally dull movie that tried to scare me but didn't.
November 11, 2017
my absolute favorite movie ever! The ending is just incredible and deep. You only realize all the perfectly hidden hints after watching some explanation videos or interpretations for example. The build-up is just perfectly well-done and the ending - I think - makes so much sense and is so satisfying and better than any ending you were expecting or wishing to get while watching the movie...
November 10, 2017
Thrilling, Mysterious, and with a good atmosphere. An another great movie by Martin S.
October 25, 2017
not really that suspenseful. could've been better.& the plot was very deja vu-ish.
October 15, 2017
It is a thriller, but it was odd. I never could reconcile that I thought it was supposed to be scary. Also I would have loved it to have a solid ending. It didn't.