2010: Moby Dick Reviews

• Jun 22, 2020

What if Moby-Dick was set in the modern day and stripped of its homoeroticism? The result is 2010: Moby Dick. I didn't realize this was an Asylum film when I sat down to watch it. I braced myself for a terrible schlock-fest. The movie they delivered wasn't that bad. If they spent more on the special effects and better developed the characters other than Ahab, it could have actually been pretty good. I enjoyed numerous aspects of the film, such as the flashback at the beginning showing how a young Ahab had lost his leg to Moby Dick, and subtle references to the novel (the little boat used at the beginning was called The Coffin, one of the torpedoes the Pequod shoots at Moby Dick is named Fedallah). The most disappointing element of the movie was the lack of character development in every character other than Ahab. Ishmael is missing entirely (his role has been transferred to a scientist named Michelle Herman). Queequeg, Pip, Starbuck are just veneers of the beloved characters from the novel. Overall, 2010 is a little bit of dumb fun for people who loved Herman Melville's novel and have the patience for a low-budget monster movie.

• Jun 15, 2020

Only thing good about this movie was Renée O'Connor. (The book was no better. A huge waste of time in university.)

• Mar 24, 2019

So bad, you'd think if was a Netflix production.

So bad, you'd think if was a Netflix production.

• Oct 22, 2015

Very bad special effects, with a cardboard whale, and a ridiculous script

Very bad special effects, with a cardboard whale, and a ridiculous script

• Dec 11, 2014

Cheesy. Ridiculous. Unnecessary. Those are three adjectives that immediately spring to mind when I think of this adaptation of Moby Dick, but then again, those three words also apply to every film to ever come out of the Asylum. So I'm not overly surprised. The story is basically the familiar one. Captain Ahab manages to find the only whale in existence that can eat his leg, consequently lose his leg, and then drag a large force of unsuspecting whale bait on a journey to find and kill that darned whale. This time, however, the film is set in modern times, so Ahab has a Navy submarine, and the entire Navy ends up involved, as well as some young Marine Biologists who exist solely to identify whale song. The cast is basically B-movie ring-ins, led by, for some reason, Barry Bostwick of Rocky Horror Picture Show fame (wow, Susan Sarandon had a much better career trajectory from that film). They read their lines as a cast, and sometimes inject an emotion into the line - though not always the most appropriate one. The CGI is horrible, the whale looks like it escaped from the first render of the new Jurassic Park movie, and the film is just overall a ludicrous experiment in overindulgence. I'm feeling generous. I'll give it 1 star.

• Mar 26, 2014

The Asylum once again proves to be the sloppiest movie "studio", and even though this junk is slightly better than the others, Moby Dick may be one of the worst films of all-time!

• Mar 14, 2014

If you enjoy the cheap monster movies that "The Asylum" has been delivering, you'll find that "2010: Moby Dick" is one of the better entries in their catalogue while stopping short of being a great film... and I'm saying that in a way that is not ironic. The story actually deviates a lot from the original novel, sometimes in ways that are fresh and original but also in ways that make the overall theme of the story completely disappear. Instead of a whaling ship, we get a high-tech submarine and the crew is chasing a whale that's far out of the ordinary: Moby Dick is a 600-foot prehistoric monster that just loves to chow down on boats. This monster whale angle is actually where the movie doesn't quite work. It's really hard to buy that no one is concerned about this monster except for our Captain Ahab (Barry Bostwick) when you actually see the creature attacking animals, boats and people unprovoked. Captain Ahab actually seems much more in tune with reality than the higher ups in the military because he acknowledges the danger of the beast, something that's quite unlike the character in the novel by Herman Melville's novel, where the corresponding character was a madman, obsessed with revenge against a creature that didn't even realize it had wronged him. Other than this character and the titular whale, most of the movie doesn't really have anything to do with the story. "Ishmael" has been replaced with "Michelle" (Renée O'Connor), a pretty clever modification and most of the story plays like a giant monster movie, with our crew searching for the sea animal while military officials think that Ahab has gone rogue and try to hunt him down. The special effects are decent for this type of film and although the acting isn't great, there aren't a lot of moments that will make you groan. There are some fun sequences where Ahab and Moby Dick take turns hunting each other and there's some decent tension. The climax of the movie feels incredibly silly and really tries to shoehorn in the references to the novel instead of just being its own thing. The idea that a 600ft animal could hide in the waters inside a ring of island is completely absurd, even though it does make for some nice surprise moments. What it comes down to is that "2010: Moby Dick" tries way too hard to be a monster movie and an adaptation of the novel. The cues it takes from the original source material work in the beginning and the monster movie stuff works in the middle but the ending is a blend of both that's really nutty. It's never boring so you'll have fun with it but this is not nearly as epic as the film makers wanted it to be and it's a decent time spent in front of the TV without being very memorable. (Dvd, April 25, 2013)

• Jul 05, 2013

Sometimes the CGI was good, other times I swear I could have done a better job. I don't know what I was expecting. Other than a giant whale.

• Jul 04, 2013

Look at the trailer. First impression is the right one; it sucks.

Look at the trailer. First impression is the right one; it sucks.

• Apr 09, 2013

Watched part of it off an online site, it wasn't very good. I mean really? I wasn't anything like the book. It was more like jaws. The movie cover art even looks just like jaws. They just used a boat and a while instead of a shark and a swimmer. Lame. If they actually tried to make moby dick, instead of moby jaws, it could have been good. It could have been really good. (but this wasn't)