24: Redemption Reviews

• Mar 12, 2017

To me, one of the real strengths of the TV series "24" has been the show's ability to weave romantic relationships into the complex plots, intense scenarios, and "oh-my-gosh!" cliffhangers. Sure, fans love to see Jack Bauer get all intense and save the day, but when it comes right down to it, the Jack/Audrey, Tony/Michelle, Chloe/Edgar, and Karen/Bill (including others) relationships are really what drive forward the drama of any given season. This TV-movie, produced because of the TV Writers strike of 2007-2008, contains all the key elements (intensity, interesting plot, etc.) of "24"'s past seasons minus that one crucial element: relationships. Basically, the plot centers on Jack Bauer, now a sort of missionary in Africa, who is once again pulled into a political struggle when a group of revolutionist attempt a military coupe on the country he resides in. At the same time, he is trying to keep himself one step ahead of the subpoena he is being served from the U.S. government for his previous interrogation techniques. While Jack's new "line of work" in Africa is much different than any previous character development, it falls flat simply because he is, by-and-large, alone (CTU doesn't even show up in the film) for the duration. He's just as heroic and eccentric as ever, but it really doesn't builds towards anything besides a contrived method to lead into Season Seven. In all honesty, I found the scenes involving the transition of power from President Noah Daniels to newcomer President-Elect Allison Taylor to be the most compelling of the entire two-hour period, as they really do set the groundwork for the upcoming season. Thus, although I realize that the "24" production crew was hamstrung by the writers strike and may have hit a bit of a writing roadblock as a result, I still found "Redemption" to be uninspiring and little more than a place holder between seasons six and seven. Strangely, I like the implied direction that the show is taking heading into its seventh effort, but I just didn't enjoy this two-hour path to get there. I'm ready to get back to the CTU-driven, Jack Bauer-intensive, relationship-driven drama I have come to expect and love from this program.

• Jul 28, 2016

I've never gotten round to watching any of 24 the series but if this movie is anything to go by, I feel a binge watch coming on. It's been done before, missionary's saving the lives of young African boys, many stolen and radicalised as child soldiers. Keifer is his usual persona, a hard man with a moral attitude. Bobby Carlyle as his mate plays his role with usual fervour and angst, as a Glaswegian I was disappointed he was given an Irish accent, that aside it was action packed and well acted! I want more.

• Jun 24, 2016

This is painfully boring. There also wasn't enough action. Only a couple scenes. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but it was a huge waste of time.

• Mar 12, 2016

A pretty cool movie, even for people who aren't big 24 fans.

A pretty cool movie, even for people who aren't big 24 fans.

• Dec 01, 2015

High throttle thrills!

High throttle thrills!

• Mar 09, 2015

Best movie ever. I like that it takes place in a gap between seasons 6 & 7. Even though, it's set in 2-hours of 3:00pm-5:00pm and Jack can still kick-ass.

• Oct 30, 2014

This Telefilm is far better, grittier, darker and action packed than many of big screen movies in this genre. Thanks to kiefer sutherland as jack bauer and his magnetic performance. The africa setup added refreshing backdrop for the season 7 storyline. This is truly commendable. I wonder how could they manage to shed this amount money for a telefilm..ambitious!!

• May 17, 2014

Not as good as the series but still good.

Not as good as the series but still good.

• May 12, 2014

Directed by 24 creator Jon Cassar, 24: Redemption serves as an introduction to day seven more than a stand alone film. This made for tv movie finds Jack living in Africa at an orphanage during the midst of a political upheaval. He soon finds himself trying to lead a group of orphans to the US embassy in time to be on the last helicopter out of the country. Once they reach the embassy, the orphans are only allowed to go if they have a guardian with them, so Jack is forced to go back to the US after fleeing years ago and agree to the terms of his subpoena to appear in front of the supreme court and answer for the war crimes he was accused of. This film also follows President elect Allison Taylor's inauguration and her son's untimely death. You can't really watch this as a movie since it's entirely part of a television series, so I won't critique it as such. As a part of 24, this is a below average "season", but still incredibly good. It's hard to establish that much plot in two hours of real time, but they did what they could during the time frame they gave themselves. Bottom line, watch the first six seasons of 24 first, then watch 24: Redemption... I'd recommend this show to everyone.

• May 06, 2014

Great movie. Intense, action-packed, interesting story, excellent performance from Sutherland. Only problem was that it didn't feel fully resolved, but that'll be taken care of in season 7, which this is a good segue to.