42 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

42 Reviews

½ November 15, 2017
I felt that aspects of such a legend as "Jackie Robinson," was left out in this movie and beyond the white mindset of the time, their could've been a deeper source of material for his character. Complaisant at times for the sincerity of racism at the time but a good watch for those who aren't into baseball and still good for those who know the history of baseball and what number 42 meant.
November 10, 2017
This movie was one of the best I have ever seen It was definitely the best baseball movie of all time.
½ November 6, 2017
After a long time saw such a good sports movie. It is the movie to watch, feel and understand how to fight against racism.
½ September 22, 2017
Moved well and pieced the story together well.
September 6, 2017
42 was one of my favorite movies. It was inspiring and really good.
September 2, 2017
42 is a true story and such a good movie specially if you like baseball, Jackie Robinson changed the game of baseball and he is a hero he is telling people any one can play the game!
August 17, 2017
Inspiring true story
½ August 17, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Scott, this week we look at 42 - the Jackie Robinson story. I m not a baseball fan, but this is a story that educated and entertained, somewhat.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) It s a story that s hard not to like. The filmmakers here were trying to dramatize a pivotal moment in American history -- the initial effort in 1947 to integrate Blacks into an exclusively White major league baseball culture.

GREG: The movie starts out with the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford), making the decision to add a black player to the roster. He wants to win the National League pennant and believes that enlisting the best player from the black leagues will help him to do so. After combing through a long list, he selects Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman).

SCOTT: We are then witness to the abuse Robinson takes as he encounters a baseball world that almost universally detests his very presence in the game. Not only do opposing teams taunt and berate him, but even some of his own teammates petition to remove him from the team. He receives threats from fans and citizens on the street. Branch Rickey counsels him to be tough enough NOT to fight, and so Robinson fights back using the only method that he could -- not with his fists, but with his stellar performance on the baseball field.

GREG: Scott, this is where I think 42 fails to deliver. There were a lot of people telling us about Robinson s trials, but not a lot of showing us. For example, at one point a player complains to Rickey that he received a death threat for playing on the same team with Robinson. Rickey responds by pulling out file after file of death threats that Robinson had received. But we never see Robinson dealing with these threats on his life and the lives of his family. The film is low on drama and high on explaining.

SCOTT: I m not sure we saw the same movie, Greg. There are countless scenes where players, managers, fans, and even the press treat Robinson in a demeaning manner. Robinson cant retaliate but we see his inner anguish. We see the pain on his wifes face as she witnesses the cruelty. If the movie was low on drama, it s because we know the ending -- obviously, Robinson and Rickey succeed in integrating baseball.

GREG: That s where we differ again. It s true that we see examples of the racism that Robinson endures, but we cant see any reaction because he s been hamstrung by an agreement to be tough enough NOT to fight. There is one scene where Robinson seems to have lost all hope - and Rickey consoles him. Not to give too much away, but Rickey turns out to be the hero in this film. While Robinson is credited with breaking the color barrier in baseball, 42 shows us that without Rickey s generosity, it never would have happened. We see White assistance in other race films as well. Take, for example, 2009 s The Blind Side starring Sandra Bullock. In it we have a subdued black athlete who rises to greatness through the kindness of a white benefactor. And to some degree, Lincoln and Django, Unchained deliver a similar message. 42 falls into the same trap. On the one hand it offers a black man who overcomes racism to become a great baseball player. While on the other hand, reminding us that it is only through the beneficence of a white man that it is possible.

SCOTT: Greg, huge societal change can t happen in a social vacuum -- there have to be helpers along the way, and while you are correct in pointing out movies where Whites occupy the position of helper to Blacks, this is because Whites hold the power and are thus in a unique position to help. Without a Branch Rickey, there can be no Jackie Robinson. In fact, I was quite intrigued with Branch Rickey s multiple roles in this movie. (As an aside, Harrison Ford turns in a masterful performance as Rickey and should be nominated for an Oscar.) Rickey serves as the catalyst for Robinson s journey while also playing the role of mentor to Robinson. Moreover, we learn later that Rickey has his own wounds that need healing and is on his own unique journey of redemption. If this film accomplishes anything, it shows us a greater social context to Robinson s remarkable accomplishments, a context that most people have been sadly unaware of for decades.

GREG: We agree on one thing, Harrison Ford delivers a great performance as Branch Rickey. I hardly recognized him. But I have the same problem here that I had with Ford s performance in the 2011 film Cowboys and Aliens - he practically steals the show. When you have a supporting actor with that much charisma and talent, he can overshadow the supposed lead. I d also like to compare this movie to another baseball film I ve seen recently. I m not a baseball fan, so details of baseball elude me. Thats why I was very happy when I saw Moneyball in 2011. That was a film that delivered a dramatic tale where I sat on the edge of my seat wondering if the heroes were going to win or lose. In 42 I really didn t have a sense of impending success or failure. We were just led through the events of 1947 in a nearly documentary-style presentation. It was dull and unrewarding.

SCOTT: For me, 42 was far from dull and packed deep emotional punch. Harrison Ford was outstanding and Chadwick Boseman more than held his own as Jackie Robinson. It brought a lump to my throat to see two of Robinson s teammates, Pee Wee Reese and Dixie Walker, put their own well-being on the line to support Robinson during the worst of the abuse. I m giving this movie 4 Reels out of 5 for its memorable portrayal of a defining moment in American racial desegregation. The films two parallel heroes -- Rickey and Robinson -- were stirring and inspirational. I give them 4 Heroes out of 5 for their moving depiction of integrity in action. Movie: Hero:

GREG: As I see it, the name of the movie is 42, not Robinson and Rickey. While I was educated about the trials of blacks in the major leagues of 1947, I didn t get as much of a sense of Jackie Robinson himself. I give the movie 3 out of 5 Reels for telling me about Robinson more than showing me. But you can t find better heroes than Jackie Robinson, or even Branch Rickey. While the real-life men deserve full marks, the presentation in this film merits only 4 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT:
August 1, 2017
Even though I really don't enjoy sports, I love sports movies. That's because they really aren't about sports. This movie is no different. It is set in world of baseball, but it is really about prejudice and breaking barriers. Highly recommended!
½ July 24, 2017
A necessary story to be told and shared with the next generation. Although I was a bit distracted by Harrison Ford's 'Branch' character's accent, mannerisms, in what seemed to be an unnatural overacting attempt- the acting was anchored with Jackie Robinson's character. Traditional story arcs, but it worked well. Rating: 7.5/10
July 8, 2017
I liked this film it was an awesome look
June 20, 2017
Great performances by Ford, Boseman in amazing baseball story.
May 31, 2017
42 fails to display much drama or intrigue in a story that should be rich with both.
May 23, 2017
MLB(Major League Baseball) celebrates Jackie Robinson 's day every April.'.All the players must wear his number 42 jersey in order to respect one of the memorable player in baseball history.This is a movie about him.

His life is well-known.When I was in Japan. I heard his name.Baseball is popular in Japan. I learned new facts at this movie. .Branch Rickey who was the president of Brooklyn Dodgers made a great decision. to hire Robinson despite many oppositions.Harrison Ford played Mr.Rickey.

As a player, He was not a home run hitter. He ran fast. He stole bases. But he became a player at MLB when he was 28 years old because he had to serve US Arm during World War 2.What if there was no discrimination and war ? If he had played at MLB earlier he would have broken more records on major league.

This is a great movie about a great player.
May 1, 2017
42 is a true story about Jackie Robinson and it's a good movie to watch if your in to true story's and sports!
April 30, 2017
very good although it doesn't take enough risks
April 29, 2017
Reminds me a bit of that movie Glory Road, another sports movie about how black athletes had to deal with rampant racism everywhere they went back in those days. Of course this took place before that, and as we all know Jackie Robinson is a legend. Acting was great, a little too on the nose for the racists which must be uncomfortable as hell to portray. Harrison Ford plays a loveable old geezer that's on Robinson's side and does a good job at it too. Bozeman was awesome in the lead as Robinson. Worth a watch I'd say, even though it is baseball, this movie is more than just about the sport though.
March 21, 2017
Some elements of the story omitted due to Hollywoodization. This film sported, pun pun, the pitcher signals, with 4 or 5 appearing.
½ March 21, 2017
A plain, but inspirational biopic with a few punches pulled. It is still an entertaining story of Jackie Robinson. Harrison Ford portrays his character flawlessly!
½ March 16, 2017
The Story of the first black baseball player to join the major leagues. How getting there was not easy, even if your great at the sport. When all eyes were on white race being dominant and segregation being the norm for colours, breaking the barrier was much more difficult. When black athletes know more of the actions of their white contour parts then they know them, to make yourself the best player in the game. When it's easier to beat someone by doing it outside the field, by doing it with more people gathering to push you out. When Jackie Robinson only cares to play bsseball, then be involved in the rasicm. Not all cities were willing to change their ways as others did in the regards to breaking segregation, and prefer to uphold it lawfully, by putting blacks in jail, using threats. A man deserves his fair chance if he got the goods. Not all believed in segregation, or judging a player by his skin.
When baseball divided people's interest those whom cared about skill, race, business and a hero to look up too.
There is a whole entirety that follows us, those whom are routing for us to be great and continue playing for the thrill of baseball. Those whom want the team to continue winning. Those whom want people to continue returning to the stands to watch.
Growing the sport of baseball on a small budget for a living.
A growing concern as part of the constitutional right to petition from playing from him. Baseball politics amongst the players.
When news from across the city of civil right fighting by blacks and civil liberties has some people unhappy and causing an uproar, that some people share opposing views. Many baseball players had alot on stake whether it was their job or privileges they were getting from others. Breaking the barrier was not only difficult for JR but, those whom supported him.
When all we know what to do is play baseball, to care about needing the protection and people behind him to pushing him forward to break barriers. While gratitous, it's disturbing, but part of the life.
While race is not the only issue, when baseball is very competitive and teams are doing everything they can to play dirty but by the books.
April 15, 1947 - Opening Day from Montreal Royals to Brooklyn Dodgers.
Some reasons for the decision to bring Jackie Robinson was it was history making, see how he plays attracts business, black folks.
Belief in a players colour, age, decisions.
Great amongst reporters to write about, something new and exciting.
While tauntings, unfair calls, beaning, all are perfectly legal in baseball, it's the ridicule mentally that oppressed Jackie Robinson from playing great.
playing with suppressed emotion, encouragement from team mates standing up for him, the in and outs of baseball from a player stand point to a spectator of what you hear and read is different. Until you are submerged in the league, players, bosses, fans you will know the in and outs of baseball. player taunting, boss dealings, what is accepted and not accepted you learn, serious from teasing.
Fighting for a win, fighting for good talent, less to do about the race.
Being part of a team, witnessing this change, attention, conflict, is new and hard to focus on baseball.
When suppressing emotion and racism for both sides of the team, to make baseball not seem dark and negative.
When less can be about baseball, when threats are being made and it's an FBI issue. disagreement about government decisions and baseball decisioning.
When being on a team, we take things slowly to adjust to your teams comfort level of you being there. The feeling of being accepted and what we are used to in being unaccepted but still playing baseball. this embedded segratative mentality we carry forward breaking barriers.
Living with the moral fibre to do what's right, learn when we were once unfair to others to come to the point where we loved being fair to one another, makes loving the game much more appreciative.
With more victories, more fans, more guts more glory for jackie. biggest fan is the person right by his corner, mrs. robinson. a layer like no other, going to the world series in his first career. A story for the ages, that inspired others to be great writers, baseball players, and much more. Former retiring the number 42.