42 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

42 Reviews

January 2, 2017
Heart-felt and close enough to the real story, "42" explores the roller coaster experience Jackie Robinson lived through in the MLB with strong charismatic acting and neat, but painful nostalgia. Beware of typical sports movie clichés, though.
January 2, 2017
Chadwick Boseman gives a great performance as one of the legendary sports heroes.
January 1, 2017
A truly inspirational sports biopic that successfully manages to focus on its two subject matters of baseball and racism back when black people where considered to be their own separate type of person, 42 manages hit a home run with Chadwick Boseman pulling off a compelling performance as Jackie Robinson even if the film feels a bit safe compared to other biographical movies of its kind.
November 12, 2016
This is a film every American should see. While Jackie broke the color barrier in baseball he paved the way for the change to come in this country. When watching the film the hatred that this country harbored was hard to watch. Don't miss this movie!
October 24, 2016
Wow! What a great movie!
October 17, 2016
This is a simple, straight forward telling of how Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier in 1947. It's hard not to get caught up in all that he had to endure for the greater good. Boseman and Harrison Ford are terrific.
½ October 14, 2016
42 is directed and written by Brian Helgeland, and it stars Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford on a baseball biopic film about Jackie Robinson's life during his baseball career in his first season when dealing with the racial issue. I'm not quite sure what else is there to talk about the backstory as it's the typical one, I've seen the film before in theaters, I really liked it, and I found this on DirecTV to watch it again and review it, that's it, and I pretty much enjoyed this movie again. Chadwick Bozeman is great for his acting chops, and it was the first movie that I've seen him in, and immediately he's got my attention, especially consider that I've seen him in later films like Get On Up and Captain America: Civil War. Harrison Ford had that type of acting in this that could've been so cartoony, but it wasn't and was more or less intimidating, which surprised me about him. The movie gives some information about Jackie Robinson, but not a lot which is fine as it gave enough information about him in his baseball career. The baseball scenes are entertaining, and it has some good humor with a lot of great drama moments. There are moments where it did seem to be a bit cheesy, but that's all I can think of in terms of negative things to say. It's got heart, it's respectful to the man that made a difference in baseball, and I'm glad it made a career out of Chadwick Boseman.
September 4, 2016
I do love me some niggers
September 3, 2016
42 gives us a way to see Jackie Robinson's life. And viewers are more aware of his heroism for it.
August 29, 2016
A powerful but not overstated biopic that deserves wider viewing.
August 13, 2016
Good story. Enjoyed it very much.
½ July 31, 2016
A good movie and important subject matter, despite being a little melodramatic and cheesy at times. The acting was phenomenal, especially Harrison Ford. Worth a watch!
July 29, 2016
42 is a Dramatic Biopic about Jackie Robinson the first African-American that broke out of the coloured leagues in the late 1940's and got signed by the dodgers to play in the major leagues.
This movie is not just about Jick's baseball accomplishments but what he did to break down the colour lines in the USA.
This movie is surprisingly good and you will be fascinated to see how far we have come but still have lots to go before we truly have racism out of our world.
Jackie not only had to deal with division from other teams and the press but even fellow team mates had issues and it was purley out of no education and understanding.
Through baseball Jackie removed the colour lines and made it about the game and team not just about his colour but what he could do on the field and off.
If your a baseball fan you have to watch this its worth every minute.
The movie is long over 2 hours suitable for all ager younger audiences with parental guidance.
July 16, 2016
A must see baseball drama!
July 12, 2016
Inspirational movies based on true stories, especially ones about racism, are some of the hardest to come out and say, "I wasn't a fan of this," because you're often criticized for not liking. You feel almost obligated to like them because, there are real stories with a person's real experiences with bigotry.
So here me out when I say, I wasn't a fan of this movie. The acting, story, and moral are fine, but I've sent it before. So many times before. Often it felt like I was watching any number of the "rise above racism" movies out there that I couldn't find myself truly invested in this one. Sorry.
Maybe it doesn't help that I'm not a baseball fan. Maybe.
July 12, 2016
This movie was epic and it shows a lot of Jackie Robinson
July 3, 2016
I loved this movie so much, it felt inspiring and the struggles Robinson went through movie-wise was almost real.
½ June 25, 2016
Baseball history. The true life story of how a legend earned the right to have his number 42 retired by every team in baseball
June 21, 2016
Though it may be a bit stretched and old-hat, 42 is one of the finest civil-rights sports movies ever, with a perfect cast, honest direction, and a sense of timelessness.
May 24, 2016
This movie is very underrated with great performances and story.