42 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

42 Reviews

April 29, 2017
Reminds me a bit of that movie Glory Road, another sports movie about how black athletes had to deal with rampant racism everywhere they went back in those days. Of course this took place before that, and as we all know Jackie Robinson is a legend. Acting was great, a little too on the nose for the racists which must be uncomfortable as hell to portray. Harrison Ford plays a loveable old geezer that's on Robinson's side and does a good job at it too. Bozeman was awesome in the lead as Robinson. Worth a watch I'd say, even though it is baseball, this movie is more than just about the sport though.
March 21, 2017
Some elements of the story omitted due to Hollywoodization. This film sported, pun pun, the pitcher signals, with 4 or 5 appearing.
½ March 21, 2017
A plain, but inspirational biopic with a few punches pulled. It is still an entertaining story of Jackie Robinson. Harrison Ford portrays his character flawlessly!
½ March 16, 2017
The Story of the first black baseball player to join the major leagues. How getting there was not easy, even if your great at the sport. When all eyes were on white race being dominant and segregation being the norm for colours, breaking the barrier was much more difficult. When black athletes know more of the actions of their white contour parts then they know them, to make yourself the best player in the game. When it's easier to beat someone by doing it outside the field, by doing it with more people gathering to push you out. When Jackie Robinson only cares to play bsseball, then be involved in the rasicm. Not all cities were willing to change their ways as others did in the regards to breaking segregation, and prefer to uphold it lawfully, by putting blacks in jail, using threats. A man deserves his fair chance if he got the goods. Not all believed in segregation, or judging a player by his skin.
When baseball divided people's interest those whom cared about skill, race, business and a hero to look up too.
There is a whole entirety that follows us, those whom are routing for us to be great and continue playing for the thrill of baseball. Those whom want the team to continue winning. Those whom want people to continue returning to the stands to watch.
Growing the sport of baseball on a small budget for a living.
A growing concern as part of the constitutional right to petition from playing from him. Baseball politics amongst the players.
When news from across the city of civil right fighting by blacks and civil liberties has some people unhappy and causing an uproar, that some people share opposing views. Many baseball players had alot on stake whether it was their job or privileges they were getting from others. Breaking the barrier was not only difficult for JR but, those whom supported him.
When all we know what to do is play baseball, to care about needing the protection and people behind him to pushing him forward to break barriers. While gratitous, it's disturbing, but part of the life.
While race is not the only issue, when baseball is very competitive and teams are doing everything they can to play dirty but by the books.
April 15, 1947 - Opening Day from Montreal Royals to Brooklyn Dodgers.
Some reasons for the decision to bring Jackie Robinson was it was history making, see how he plays attracts business, black folks.
Belief in a players colour, age, decisions.
Great amongst reporters to write about, something new and exciting.
While tauntings, unfair calls, beaning, all are perfectly legal in baseball, it's the ridicule mentally that oppressed Jackie Robinson from playing great.
playing with suppressed emotion, encouragement from team mates standing up for him, the in and outs of baseball from a player stand point to a spectator of what you hear and read is different. Until you are submerged in the league, players, bosses, fans you will know the in and outs of baseball. player taunting, boss dealings, what is accepted and not accepted you learn, serious from teasing.
Fighting for a win, fighting for good talent, less to do about the race.
Being part of a team, witnessing this change, attention, conflict, is new and hard to focus on baseball.
When suppressing emotion and racism for both sides of the team, to make baseball not seem dark and negative.
When less can be about baseball, when threats are being made and it's an FBI issue. disagreement about government decisions and baseball decisioning.
When being on a team, we take things slowly to adjust to your teams comfort level of you being there. The feeling of being accepted and what we are used to in being unaccepted but still playing baseball. this embedded segratative mentality we carry forward breaking barriers.
Living with the moral fibre to do what's right, learn when we were once unfair to others to come to the point where we loved being fair to one another, makes loving the game much more appreciative.
With more victories, more fans, more guts more glory for jackie. biggest fan is the person right by his corner, mrs. robinson. a layer like no other, going to the world series in his first career. A story for the ages, that inspired others to be great writers, baseball players, and much more. Former retiring the number 42.
February 23, 2017
Enjoyable and informative. Definitely worth seeing.
½ February 19, 2017
Excellent!! Loved it, and I don't give two hoots about baseball.
February 6, 2017
Massive baseball fan, massively let down.
January 28, 2017
This movie was inspiring! It's a true store and it is a good sports movie if you like sports it could be one to see. I like how Jackie gets home runs in this movie. It's a interesting movie to see!! Jackie Robinson changed the game for ever!! And how he did that was he was the first African-American baseball player to ever play and for that I must say he changed the game forever so that it means anyone can play baseball!! And Jackie did the right thing! He is my favorite player!!! And I love baseball
January 26, 2017
Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) más allá de ser un beisbolista norteamericano, fue nada más y nada menos que el primer negro en jugar en las Ligas Mayores. Este logro lo consiguió en un ambiente donde la segregración y el racismo eran el pan de cada día. En ese ambiente, Jackie se convierte en el mejor jugador en uno de los equipos más populares como se trata de los Dodgers. Esta es una historia de heroísmo, perseverancia, amor propio y lucha por cambiar el mundo y la forma en que el mundo se ve a sí mismo. Más que una historia de deporte, es una historia de la Historia Norteamericana y de un verdadero héroe. Con Harrison Ford, Nicole Beharie, Christopher Meloni
January 23, 2017
Inspirational! A true American hero perfectly portrayed on the big screen.
January 2, 2017
Heart-felt and close enough to the real story, "42" explores the roller coaster experience Jackie Robinson lived through in the MLB with strong charismatic acting and neat, but painful nostalgia. Beware of typical sports movie clichés, though.
January 1, 2017
A truly inspirational sports biopic that successfully manages to focus on its two subject matters of baseball and racism back when black people where considered to be their own separate type of person, 42 manages hit a home run with Chadwick Boseman pulling off a compelling performance as Jackie Robinson even if the film feels a bit safe compared to other biographical movies of its kind.
November 12, 2016
This is a film every American should see. While Jackie broke the color barrier in baseball he paved the way for the change to come in this country. When watching the film the hatred that this country harbored was hard to watch. Don't miss this movie!
October 24, 2016
Wow! What a great movie!
October 17, 2016
This is a simple, straight forward telling of how Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier in 1947. It's hard not to get caught up in all that he had to endure for the greater good. Boseman and Harrison Ford are terrific.
½ October 14, 2016
42 is directed and written by Brian Helgeland, and it stars Chadwick Boseman and Harrison Ford on a baseball biopic film about Jackie Robinson's life during his baseball career in his first season when dealing with the racial issue. I'm not quite sure what else is there to talk about the backstory as it's the typical one, I've seen the film before in theaters, I really liked it, and I found this on DirecTV to watch it again and review it, that's it, and I pretty much enjoyed this movie again. Chadwick Bozeman is great for his acting chops, and it was the first movie that I've seen him in, and immediately he's got my attention, especially consider that I've seen him in later films like Get On Up and Captain America: Civil War. Harrison Ford had that type of acting in this that could've been so cartoony, but it wasn't and was more or less intimidating, which surprised me about him. The movie gives some information about Jackie Robinson, but not a lot which is fine as it gave enough information about him in his baseball career. The baseball scenes are entertaining, and it has some good humor with a lot of great drama moments. There are moments where it did seem to be a bit cheesy, but that's all I can think of in terms of negative things to say. It's got heart, it's respectful to the man that made a difference in baseball, and I'm glad it made a career out of Chadwick Boseman.
September 4, 2016
I do love me some niggers
September 3, 2016
42 gives us a way to see Jackie Robinson's life. And viewers are more aware of his heroism for it.
August 29, 2016
A powerful but not overstated biopic that deserves wider viewing.
August 13, 2016
Good story. Enjoyed it very much.