A Hijacking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Hijacking Reviews

½ October 14, 2016
A tad slow but viscerally intense and emotionally brutal.
½ October 10, 2016
A reasonable film but halal slaughtering of animals for film entertainment is shameful and therefore the film only deserves the lowest rating.
½ September 29, 2016
Lindholm's not in unexplored waters, but his strong direction will hijack your attention.
½ June 7, 2016
A Hijacking, a Danish pirate hijacking film by Tobias Lindholm which screened in the Orizzonti section of the 2012 Venice Film Festival, will be heavily compared with the Hollywood version Captain Phillips (2013) directed by Paul Greengrass. Lindholm's version follows a more subtle and low-key trajectory which however builds up to full grit with no lesser intensity, if not more.
Alternating its drama between a cargo ship MV Rozen that gets hijacked by Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, and the head office of the shipping company where the negotiation on the ransom demanded by the Somalis takes place, the film has two protagonists (unlike Captain Phillips). First the ship's cook Mikkel (Pilou Asbæk) who along with the rest of the seamen endure a lengthy period living in subhuman conditions as they are taken hostage. Then we have the chief executive of the shipping company, Peter Ludvigsen (Søren Malling) who must battle a psychological drama as he negotiates for his crew's freedom at a glacial pace, with the pirate translator, Omar (Abdihakin Asgar). When the ship's captain falls ill, Mikkel finds himself trapped between his attempt to get on the good side with the pirates and at the same time unwillingly becoming their primary negotiating tool that could end his life.
A minimalist mastery, the story slowly but surely grips you at a tidy pace as the situation winches tighter. Lindholm chooses not to even show how the Somalis take over the ship, and focuses on the psychological build-up with the characters being stuck in cramped, confined situations for extended periods. A compelling experience to watch Mikkel and his friends' fragile fate pendulate at the mercy of the mercurial moods of the pirates, and the palpitating drama unfolding in the head office as Ludvigsen painstakingly fights for his men's lives. The cast delivers a moving performance. Both considered worthy films, but I'm definitely a bigger fan of the Danish version compared to Greengrass' Captain Phillips.
½ February 9, 2016
Raw and Real. Loved it. The only downside was the frustration of those damn negotiations. A real McEnroe racket smasher.
February 3, 2016
Fantastic. The real deal, shows it as it is.
December 3, 2015
Staying clear of black-and-white reasoning opting to keep a human honesty A Hijacking creates a great atmosphere in spite of its shoddy camera work, but as the movie is largely straightforward and without many twist or surprises the film drags on to the point that suspense and attention will be lost.
½ November 28, 2015
Danish drama which is tense & absorbing. A must-see.
November 28, 2015
The boys first foreign film w/subtitles. A real taste of the realities at sea. Superb script of leadership and negotiating skills. Not fantasized by a 1st World view.
½ September 7, 2015
9/7/15 Netflix
A Danish Captain Philips but even more intense. Great story, well acted with a shocking ending. Psychologically taut from both the CEO's perspective and the crew held hostage perspective. This was a great movie.
August 31, 2015
A humanist version of Captain Phillips. See this, not Captain Phillips.
½ August 19, 2015
What an ending.......
½ June 7, 2015
Slow in places, tense in others. Most intriguing aspect is the CEO handling the negotiations. Watching his ego implode under pressure was entertaining.
½ June 3, 2015
OMG this is one of those "Hostage crisis" dramas that is really intense and engaging. I've seen Captain Phillips, then I've seen this. This is really a nail bitter. A very well executed thriller, I like the interaction of scenes between the negotiations of both ends. It's not just focusing on the site of action, but also focuses the part of the guys who are trying to save the day. It's agonizing, thinking of the hostage situation. It's gripping thinking somebody should get hurt at any time. Needless to say the cost is life. The acting in this film is brilliant. And this is one of those slow paced films that never get me bored. Very well made Danish film. Not just that, it is very memorable. It's a must watch. 4.5 stars out of 5.
March 11, 2015
The characters were good, but the pace was way too slow. Give me Captain Phillips any day.
February 7, 2015
Europe typical style. Flat execution, deep story. Do i like it ? unfortunetely the answer is not really.
½ January 18, 2015
Cinematography & Editing - 9
Soundtrack/Score & Set Design - 8
How much I enjoyed it personally - 8.5
½ December 31, 2014
horribly slow and boring. almost ZERO action and I was glad when it was finally over