A Monster Calls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Monster Calls Reviews

½ November 12, 2018
Original. Interesting
½ October 19, 2018
Intriguing movie that deals with a delicate subject through a monster for emotions
½ October 12, 2018
Well this was lovely. 'A Monster Calls' is the well-told story of a boy confronting his fears. It's immaculately cast with Sigourney Weaver playing the boys grandmother, Felicity Jones as the boy's mother and Lewis MacDougall who plays Conor, a boy, too old to be a kid, and too young to be a man. per our narrator who turns into the Monster, brilliantly voiced by Liam Neeson. The monster tells the boy three stories in exchange for the boy telling his a fourth story, the boy's nightmare. It's riveting, engaging, and everything you could want in a fantasy drama. While this isn't for kids I'd say 15 or younger, it is a well-told and beautiful story. The visuals here are captivating. The emotions are palpable. The acting is as good as the special effects. It's worth seeing and bring tissues! Final Score: 9.1/10
½ October 2, 2018
Beautifully done. My only misgiving is the miscasting of Sigourney Weaver, a fine actress but she's no English grandma.
September 10, 2018
Bayona zeigt in diesem Meisterwerk wie wichtig doch der Regisseur für ein Film ist. Seine Handschrift zieht sich durch den ganzen Film wie ein Roter Faden. Viel mehr sticht dabei doch der Junge Lewis McDougall der eine selten eindrucksvolle und mitreißende Schauspielleistung zeigt die vielleicht erst dafür sorgt das man die Erzähl Perspektive eines Kind so schnell akzeptiert. Der Junge hält auch mit der groß auf spielenden Filcity Jones und der großartigen Sigourney Weaver mit. Der Film geht mit einer so schönen und berührenden Art an ein Thema heran das sich eigentlich nur in einem eher kalten Konzept aufgehen kann. Trotzdem zeigt der Film fantastische Bilder, ein durchdringliches Monster welches großartig von Liam Neeson gesprochen wird, der Film ist lustig, hat traurige Szenen mit tiefschmätternden Gefühlen in denen der Cast alles abliefert. Einer der besten Filme der letzten 10 Jahre. Noch viel fragwürdiger das er keine Oscarnominierung bekam
½ August 31, 2018
not a bad fairy-tale
½ August 3, 2018
I shed a tear, this movie is so underrated and good!
July 8, 2018
I won't lie - I teared up during the last act of 'A Monster Calls' - which is not only quite rare for me, but also wasn't really what I was expecting when I popped in the disc. If you've seen the posters or the trailers, you could easily be fooled into thinking this was simply a kids movie, and - whilst kids should certainly see it and learn from it - this is a film that adults can appreciate just as much; if not a little more so. As clichéd as this sounds, I found it to be a truly heartwarming and beautiful depiction of dealing with the loss of a loved one; that was far deeper and far more effective than I had anticipated. Whilst the wonderful visual flair displayed by Bayona elevates Patrick Ness' heart-wrenching script, the performances - particularly from young newcomer Lewis MacDougall - really brought this one home for me. A pleasant surprise, then, that anyone who's ever been in love can empathise with.
½ June 24, 2018
Despite early pacing issues, A Monster Calls more than compensates for being a devastatingly emotional story about the loss of a loved one to terminal illness, one told with sensitivity and brutal honestly.
June 1, 2018
Absolutely outstanding.
½ May 24, 2018
a great kids movie that teaches loss and grief not your typical kids movie but worth a watch if you are curios
May 19, 2018
I AM GROOT (the emo years). Nah but seriously its very good! Very emotional
May 1, 2018
This should've had more press as it is outstanding and is the first movie to ever make me cry, and I've seen Up and Marley and Me so that is saying something. Brilliant filmmaking.
April 23, 2018
A hard review on how the human psyche works when facing illness and death of relatives at early ages.
April 22, 2018
The good intention of confiding the conflicting psyche of a boy coping with losing a very sick mother to cancer in J.A. Bayona's adaptation of the children's book of the same title is unfortunately crushed under the clumsily cryptic stories of the titular talking tree.
April 21, 2018
Not your typical family movie.
This movie is definitely amazing, but beware the feelz...
April 12, 2018
I have started to watch it to see if it is suitable for my daughter (PG13, and she is younger). no, definitely not, this is a very dark and depressing movie. visual effects was so good that i lost myself in the movie, and couldn't stop it (apart from the nightmare at the end: there was too much shouting and grumbling noise that i had to turn down the volume).
½ April 11, 2018
Deftly mixing a coming of age drama with fantasy elements, A Monster Calls is a rare family film. One that takes on a complex, heavy subject and creates something moving and beautiful. The characters, humans and giant tree creatures alike, are very well realised, while young Lewis MacDougall gives a powerful breakthrough performance.
April 9, 2018
What a movie. This one's not for casual viewing.

The subject matter is familiar to all, it's nothing new, but the way this movie deals with it is stunning and unbelievably mature for a movie of this type.

The things this movie manages to pull off with its CGI, with its animation sequences, with the art of this movie, is worthy of applause. The cinematography was used beautifully, blending scenes together sometimes seamlessly, and in very creative ways. It was a visual treat. Stunning, really.

The plot has a lot of familiar beats other movies of this nature strike, but it still manages to surprise and subvert expectations. It pulls a mature twist here, gives us some incredibly illuminating dialog there, and doesn't get held back by conventions. You pretty much know what's going to happen in this movie from the get-go, and you go through the build up, and when the movie hits that expected climax, the strength of it and the intensity is not harmed. You're there being shaken to the core along with the boy. The movie didn't falter in that important moment.

Liam Neeson who voiced and mo-capped the monster did a phenomenal job. His voice was perfect for the character, and his delivery of all the lines was simply impeccable. His warm rugged voice fit all the right tones. It was beautiful. And then it was a nice surprise that the child actor that plays beside Liam, was also a solid actor that managed to convey some heavy and serious emotions very believably.

Felicity Jones' role was something a lot of actors get to do, but she held her own. It was a good role for her, felt natural. My initial opinion of her was shit because of Rogue One. Thought she was a snore-inducing actress, but this movie greatly improved my opinion of her. Now, Sigourney Weaver was fine. Had a small role and she played it decently. Nothing much to say there.

The only slight problems I had with this movie are these; the slightly weird and unclear bully subplot, and the wavering pace of near the end of the movie (the "when would it be perfect for this movie to end?" problem). But even thought I found myself thinking about these parts a little bit, the overall experience was so satisfying and so unexpectedly good, I was completely willing to let go and to be guided by the movie. Not resist.

Beautiful movie, I recommend it to anyone. Just some warning, it's intense. You will probably cry or shed some tears, so choose who you want to watch it with.