A Monster Calls Reviews

• Nov 18, 2020

The first part of the movie seems to be a typical child's fantasy tale and experiences in school. But the deeper themes of the movie and fantasy part all come together at the end to provide a strong finish to the movie.

• Nov 06, 2020

A solid sequel with a interesting twist at the end. The movie is slow at parts but also interesting throughout the 2 and a half hour runtime. I enjoyed it despite it feeling slow at parts.

• Oct 24, 2020

A modern coming-of-age fairy tale for connective growth masquerading an empathetic therapeutic direction with a delicate touch through the perfectly wonderful cast and a blooming, tearful heart to compensate for the declining storytelling quality bored by elaborative fantasy encouraged elements albeit meaningful purposes. (B+)

• Aug 22, 2020

A Monster Calls was a very melodramatic, sad script about a 12 year old boy who's mother is terminally ill and he can't cope her loss from his life. I initially thought this movie was about a sweet kid and his travels but it was totally the opposite. Little Conner is old too to be a boy and too young to be a man, you just feel sad for him. While his mom, Felicity Jones, is in the hospital, he is in care of his grandmother played by Sigourney Weaver. Conner dreams about the monster that lives inside of him and his trials in life, having to deal with being bullied, not doing well in school, and his living situation. You just want to take care of him and make sure he lives a better life. The monster is voiced by Liam Neeson and the stories he tells the young boy to make realize the truth about his consequences. Overall it was a good movie, with a great premise and a great cast, don't expect a happy ending.

• Aug 11, 2020

5 bags for sure-massively underrated and unheard about. What I didn't get was why Liam Neeson told fantastical stories in this movie that weren't his best stories. You got Liam Neeson and you're not gonna get him to tell you about how he trained Batman, trained Obi-Wan, got his daughter back from European human traffickers, or saved prisoners at a concentration camp? Sigourney Weaver was in this movie too, and he could have told the kid some of her stories too, like when she fought the Xenomorphs or saved Pandora. Despite missed opportunities, this was a heartfelt and cool movie! Popcorn connections? Neeson and Felicity Jones-both in Star Wars at different times!

• Jul 03, 2020

It passed the time is indeed how I felt about it. I think I needed to actually be 12 because visually it was beautiful. But felt slow and familiar.

• Jul 01, 2020

This movie reminded a lot about what happened to me. My mother was ill and it took a lot for me to let go. Until the day she actually let go, it was hard. It's still hard

• May 15, 2020

Gorgeous, beautiful story, moving and tragically overlooked!

Gorgeous, beautiful story, moving and tragically overlooked!

• May 11, 2020

One of my favourite movies! Spectacular cinematography. A beautiful telling of a story.

• May 10, 2020

Has a different take on losing a loved one.

Has a different take on losing a loved one.