About a Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

About a Boy Reviews

December 9, 2017
About a Boy, released in 2002, is a semi-romantic comedy about a playboy who has decided to join a single parent's group in an effort to obtain the affections of the stereotypical, doting, and insecure single mom. There's only one catch...he isn't a parent. Will, played by Hugh Grant, winds up getting a little more than he bargained for with the appearance of a young boy, Marcus, who is seeking a role model. Marcus is the nerdy, unassuming child of single mom Fiona, who is an emotional basket case. After Fiona attempts to take her life, Marcus finds solace in the company of Will, much to Will's dismay. Will prefers to bide his time being emotionally unattached, where Marcus seeks the comfort and stability that he doesn't have with his mom. Though Marcus starts out being an obstacle in Will's way, he results in becoming Will's solution, as he teaches Will the joy and comfort of having people in your life to care about and spend your time with. Meanwhile, Will serves as a guide for Marcus' failed attempts at making friends and establishing himself as "cool" at his new school. Marcus ditches these attempts in a pivotal scene where he chooses to sing "Killing Me Softly" for his school talent show, in an effort to make his mom happy. Will comes to his aid at the show, making an even bigger fool of himself and saving Marcus from being the laughing stock of his school. This act is a prime example of Will's newfound ability to care about someone other than himself. I would argue that Marcus doesn't make as profound of a journey in the film, though he does end up with a few more friends than he started out with.

I found the film to be emotionally moving, in that, it was wonderful to see the compassion, care, and courage that the two main characters showed toward each other. It was also heartbreaking to watch Marcus go through the repercussions of watching his own mother try to kill herself. I would say that this film is a semi-romantic comedy because there is a touch of romance in the film, especially in the relationship between Will and Rachel. There also is a lot of depth and warmth to the relationship between Will and Marcus that isn't typical in a lot of comedies. I feel that overall, this film was incredibly well done, well-written, and well-acted. I couldn't imagine any other actor being in any of the roles in the film. It truly is outstanding work.
November 27, 2017
(First and only viewing - 3/6/2011)
October 17, 2017
How does this great film not merit a higher viewer score????!!!!!! A brilliant and touching comedy with Grant and Collette at their best. Comedy for people with brains as well as heart.
October 7, 2017
"About a Boy" takes a ridiculous premise, mounts its tension around it, and sets it in the background. Instead, we're given one hell of a rom-com combined with an effective coming-of-age tale combined with a Hugh Grant vehicle, and it miraculously works, thanks to strong performances from Grant, Hoult, Weisz, and Collette. Not to mention, it has a strong script that provides a foundation for all of these things to work properly.
½ October 6, 2017
I will say Hugh Grant is tolerable in this one more than any of his other work but it's still a cliche and pretty forgettable rom-com that doesn't memorably capture chemistry between him and the boy or any particular woman. Toni Collette is great in her role for what it is, but it's a pretty bland screenplay.
September 27, 2017
Kind of a run of the mill movie
August 6, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies, and I just rewatched the entire movie a couple weeks ago. I find the acting great, and the message to be admirable. I like how family is being redefined as more than a nuclear biological unit, but it is being defined in this movie as a larger group of friends and colleagues who play meaningful roles in the lives of each other. I like how the relationship between Hugh Grant and the boy develops slowly and isn't instantly perfect. I liked how Grant's character slowly matures over time and even the first scenes where he is unabashedly single and childfree are funny and warm. I like the lack of judgmentalism towards unconventional lifestyles in this movie and its inclusiveness. The last scene where Grant and the boy sing at the talent show is priceless. I think Grant did a great job acting in this role. So did Collette and the boy. Weisz was also good.
August 5, 2017
I love this movie. It's nuanced and endearing. Worth the watch
August 5, 2017
The movie itself, with it's tone and mood, feels incredibly developed. Hugh Grant is fantasic in this, may I mention.The adaptation from the book is a rare instance in which it's better. The characters feel more grounded, the story feels more solid and while the ending was changed it was oddly more moving and effective, plus it refrained from being too steriotypical. A great movie
June 30, 2017
second fave comedy ever "i am an island, im fucking Ibiza" classic
jamrcla
½ June 17, 2017
Hugh Grant can only act one way but for some strange reason I do enjoy his films and even though his films aren't amazing they are easy to watch and About A Boy is the same with a nice little plot, Some good English comedy thrown in, It's pretty good and clever.
May 2, 2017
Odd themes but funny. Ultimately man cannot be man without having obligations to others
March 9, 2017
I've read this is a movie worth seeing, so I think I will do just that.
February 12, 2017
About a Boy is disfunctional, but very hilarious and its screenplay is written with wit and weight which makes Hugh Grant soar as an actor.
January 30, 2017
About a Boy is a wonderful story about a boy who has had problems in school, and begins to play the role convincingly cast as Hugh Grant's loafer children.
After the mother's attempted suicide begins presented by Nicholas Houltin Marcus-son toss with Grant.
The plot runs like clockwork, and it makes the movie good. One of the best British films that I have seen.
½ December 31, 2016
Only 1 scene is funny but the rest is just a bore.
December 8, 2016
Well made and entertaining. A good story and well enacted, detected and edited
½ December 6, 2016
A typical Hugh Grant movie that continues to work even 15 years on. The pre-smartphone era was decidedly less busy socially! There were more times for human connections and also for exciting dashes to the venues to prevent calamities rather than instruct over the social network...
November 30, 2016
85%
Saw this on 30/11/16
About a boy is a comedy that doesn't work according to the well worn formulas and hence it does not tire the viewer out. The entire cast lead by Hugh Grant is good and this is one of those few comedies that I least regret watching. Movies of this nature are not made nowadays.
November 19, 2016
A product of it's time, but About A Boy does deliver good performances and tries to be different unlike the usual chick-flick