Action Jackson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Action Jackson Reviews

November 27, 2016
Lol. I did not expect to enjoy this one so much. Action Jackson is the epitome of comic, shut-your-brain-off, '80s, action... and it's fun as hell. It's Apollo VS Coach!
½ February 16, 2016
Detroit Michigan Police Detective Sergeant Jericho Jackson (Carl Weathers), known locally as "Action Jackson", was a celebrated lieutenant in the police force but demoted (nearly two years prior) because of a case he headed involving the criminal son of successful businessman Peter Anthony Dellaplane (Craig T. Nelson). The fall out over the case also collapsed Jackson's marriage and put the law school educated, star athlete and hometown hero at odds with the public. Even after his demotion, Jackson's continued interest leads to conflicts with his commander, Captain Earl Armbruster (Bill Duke), but he begins investigating Dellaplane's professional exploits, eventually uncovering the string of murdered trade union members connected to Dellaplane's company. He discovers Dellaplane is secretly maneuvering his way into a "behind the throne" seat of power and has been using the group of assassins, dubbed The Invisible Men, to kill uncooperative union officials. Jackson is then assisted by Dellaplane's mistress, Sydney Ash (Vanity), a local lounge singer and heroin addict whom the businessman has assisted financially. He is eventually framed for murdering Dellaplane's wife Patrice (Sharon Stone) (killed by her Dellaplane after she discovers his plot and goes to Jackson for help). On the run from the police, Jackson is helped by friends from his old neighborhood, kid Sable, a local hotel owner and retired professional boxer, and Dee, a lively local hairdresser (and gossip informant) who gives Jackson a way to discreetly get to Dellaplane...

This is just a classic formulaic and stereotypical 80s actioneer with everything you´d expect, but it´s also an attempt to revive the blaxploitation genre during the 80s, which obviously failed. Carl Weathers said he hoped the film would become a franchise "but Lorimar sold the lot to Sony and sold the library to Warner Bros., and that was that. It never resurfaced again, unfortunately." The action is over the top and "I can see the stuntman" bad, the acting very standard (even if the ensemble of actors/actresses contains all sorts of known names), the action hero is portrayed as a superhuman and the script is very mediocre. Why did I re-see this trashy 80s action movie? Well, I still got my massive teen crush on Vanity and that will never fade away. Yes, hardly a fantastic actress, but that charisma, looks, moves, voice and presence gets me every time. Every time after so many years. And that was the only reason I did re-see "Action Jackson". And that is pretty much the only reason to see it at all...
½ January 11, 2016
A film that certainly lives up to its title. Renegade cop relentlessly pursues corrupt auto tycoon, causing million of dollars in property damage to the fine city of Detroit in the process. I bought into everything except the part about Action being a Harvard law graduate.
November 27, 2015
There hasn't been any pussy at your house since your mother helped you move in.

A corrupt business man has a grudge against former Lieutenant Action Jackson after his son was busted for sexually assaulting children. The incident led to Jackson being demoted. Jackson and the businessman run in some of the same circles, especially when it comes to women. When Jackson discovers the businessman is abusing some of his favorite dames, he springs into action for both revenge and justice.

"Have you ever had your head forcibly rammed up your ass?"
"No."
"Well, mark your calendar...that day is coming."

Craig Baxley, director of Twilight Man, Stone Cold, Bad Day on the Block, Sniper 2, The Glow, Twisted Desire, Revenge on the Highway, and Deconstructing Sarah, delivers Action Jackson. The storyline for this picture is just okay but contains some unique characters and character interactions that make this worth a viewing. The acting is cliché action genre and the cast includes Carl Weathers, Sharon Stone, Vanity, Craig Nelson, Bill Duke, Robert Davi, and Bob Minor.

"You nearly tore that boy's arm off..."
"So? He had a spare."

I must have watched this one hundred times as a kid as this was another film that was always on cable/HBO when I was a kid. This is very average and cliché but contains some great one-liners and action sequences. The film is a very mediocre action genre addition, but is a "so bad it is good" action picture for diehard fans of the genre.

"If that's for me don't answer it."

Grade: C+
½ October 26, 2015
This may be the most stereotypical 80s cop action film (think Beverly Hills Cop, Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours). All the tropes are present here: a cop with relationship problems and a temper has a boss who wants to rein him in despite being close to breaking a case. Coach plays the stereotypical sleazeball bad guy. The Black copper takes down an evil White capitalist in the over-the-top style popular in films of the genre and time. Vanity was hot. Apollo Creed as a BAMF was cool to see, and I'd love to take acting lessons from him. I wish he would have ran for governor.
½ July 8, 2015
Craig T. Nelson is evil. Action Jackson is cool. Vanity is so hot. This may be the best representation of '80s Detroit on film, ever.
May 10, 2015
Easily one of the best action films of the 80s. Legendary actor Carl Weathers stars as Jericho "Action" Jackson, a cop who is investigating a corrupt Detroit industrialist when Sharon Stone shows up and Vanity sings a song or two. Like scenes involving testicles in jars with a strong Jesus message? This film is the one you're looking for!
May 2, 2015
The plot development in this 80's action movie was so fast paced, it felt like an expression of 80's cocaine use.
½ March 22, 2015
Not a bad action movie but really not one to see a 2nd time either.
February 14, 2015
I was pleasantly surprised with this movie...pretty funny :)
½ July 27, 2014
OK.Didn't Really Have Enough Action.C+
June 18, 2014
Carl Weathers, Sharon Stone and Craig T. Nelson star in this action and comedy spectacular. Carl Weathers plays Sgt. Jericho Jackson or what people like to call him "action Jackson" who is a tough detroit cop who going after auto tycoon Peter Tellaplane who is scheming to murder his way into politics. I always liked Carl Weathers and to see him in a action and comedy movie of this caliber is totally fun. With a mixture of witty humor and alot of great action this movie is plenty enjoyable. Great job by the entire cast for making this movie so entertaining. Pretty much most of the cast lend a hand in making the movie humorous. There seemed to be Plenty of one liners to go around. If it's a movie with great humor and action then Action Jackson is your cup of tea.
June 18, 2014
Carl Weathers deja los guantes de Apollo Creed y se convierte en un rudo policía ochentoso, en una cinta hiper-violenta, llena de clichés, superficial al máximo y con las bellas Vanity y Sharon Stone como adorno. Solo en los 80.
April 24, 2014
It makes me laugh for many many reasons, yes bring on the cliches and predictability.
½ April 14, 2014
One of my favorite Carl Weathers movies from my childhood. Watching it now it seems very dated, and Craig T. Nelson is pretty laughable as the villain, but it is still a decent watch if you like 80's cheese.
½ March 4, 2014
so bad it is great...JACKSON
January 24, 2014
Can't understand the 10% this movie has. It's a fun action flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's not THAT bad. It kept me watching.
½ December 23, 2013
This was a childhood movie that for some unknown reason (maybe cuz of the boobs?) I really thought it was cool. I watched in again for the first time in a very long time over the weekend. This has 80's cop movie all over it.
December 19, 2013
My Favorite Action Film Is 1988's Die Hard.
October 29, 2013