The Adjustment Bureau Reviews

• Sep 12, 2019

A film about determinism and magic hats that makes you ponder far too many door-based questions.

• Aug 31, 2019

Such a clever movie - and yes, the chemistry between Blunt and Damon is amazing

Such a clever movie - and yes, the chemistry between Blunt and Damon is amazing

• Aug 22, 2019

religious connotations aside, all around good movie

religious connotations aside, all around good movie

• Aug 10, 2019

The one movie I can't stop watching over and over again!

The one movie I can't stop watching over and over again!

• Jul 10, 2019

The Adjustment Bureau throws two talented stars together in a sci-fi romance with a twist. It heads off the beaten track, with an original blend of the two genres. Hints of The Truman Show here, all eyes on this one.

• Jun 24, 2019

Philip K. Dick short story adaptation scores as one of my favorite of his adapted works, a compelling tale of romance, intrigue, and hope.

• Jun 02, 2019

its new. its fresh. I've many a times wondered how impossibly great things happen in your life. this movie tries to reason it.

• May 18, 2019

uma alternativa interessante aos romances com excesso de obviedades. alà (C)m disso, no que tange ao enredo à (C) possível ele encontrar uma nova perspectiva de como sociedades secretas podem agir. Isto à (C), não só de formas ruim para os seres humanos.

• May 02, 2019

At times creative, at times generic, this drama-sci-fi struggles in keeping point with its original idea, supporting itself with an adorable and effective couple with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, but ultimately falling certain clichà (C)s from the genres that belongs to, never trying anything truly innovative or fresh for that matters, wasting its potential with an indecisive direction by first timer director George Nolfi, the film never goes beyond the "good" barrier.

• Apr 02, 2019

I quite like movies that balance on the edge between fantasy and science fiction, and I think that’s what they are doing with The Adjustment Bureau. It’s not much of a spoiler to say that the main character discovers there is this shadowy organization that is affecting all major events in the world, and this is the fantastical element that runs throughout the film. However, the way these agents work is carefully defined and has specific rules utilizing pieces of technology, so it feels like a sci-fi plot as well. I was on board for the story early on, and I appreciated that they didn’t share all the details and motives from the beginning so there remained a level of mystery for most of the film. What we do discover early is the identity of the bureau and a few ideas of how they work. It’s a unique concept and I appreciated that we were allowed to question whether they were being evil or benevolent the whole time. I also thought Matt Damon and Emily Blunt were good in the lead roles. I wouldn’t say they had the greatest chemistry, but they played it well enough that I was convinced this was a relationship I wanted to succeed. The biggest shortcoming of The Adjustment Bureau is the ending. For one thing it’s anti-climactic in the way it was handled. They have you on the edge of your seat, and then instead of blowing you away with an explosive finish, they slowly let the air out of the balloon until it is deflated. The other problem is that they telegraphed this ending way too much. The fact that they kept opening the door to the possibility that this resolution could happen, means we’re expecting it at the end. The predictability of the ending was definitely a contributing factor in the underwhelming feel. That being said there were a lot of cool things going on in The Adjustment Bureau. I was on board for the action and thrills, and I was invested in the relationship at the center of it all. It has a number of tense moments, and also some decent comedic beats as well. The concept is a unique one, and I’m a sucker for anything that tries this kind of magical realism. And the one thing I never expected was that The Adjustment Bureau touched on a Christian debate, that I’ve discussed many times before, about free will versus predestination. It’s worth seeking out to all those who like the fantasy/sci-fi genre.