Aftershock Reviews

December 21, 2014
A nihilistic and cheap-looking exploitation crap that has Roth's repellent fingerprints all over it: mediocre dialogue, a bunch of hateful characters we want to see dead and a huge amount of gratuitous violence and gore for the sake of mindless entertainment. In short, a waste of time.
January 25, 2014
Aftershock is garbage. It not only takes a while to get going, but once the earthquake hits, debauchery and mayhem of the most ridiculous kind ensues. While there is certainly the element that humans devolve into savages in response to a crisis, everything here is executed in the most heavy-handed, simple-minded, and uninteresting way possible.
Markus Emilio Robinson
June 3, 2013
Eli Roth's "Aftershock" should have been a frightening cinematic experience since I do live in earthquake country. But after forty minutes of needless setup, scene after scene of sequences which mimic those outrageously low budget SyFy Channel movies shown at two in the morning, and the fact that my suspicions of this films watchability were already high considering it was only produced (not directed) by Roth, it soon became clear that "Aftershock" was built on a foundation which literally fell apart at the seams.
Synopsis: A group of "young people" who seek an adventure (lead by non-actor Eli Roth himself) attempt to find it in a country outside of the United States. And then bad stuff happens. Does this plot sound like "Hostel" yet? Well, it is sort of "Hostel", in Chile, if the sadistic killers had been replaced by a natural disaster.
The problem with this film comes down to the simple fact that the duration of an earthquake is only a few seconds long. So, after said phenomenon occurs, the movie doesn't seem to know what to do with itself, as if Roth and friends hadn't come prepared with any other plot development which could sustain a feature length film. So, aside from a few smirk inducing social network jokes, an extremely short back and forth between Roth and one Selena Gomez and some minor suspenseful situations in the final 30 minutes, "Aftershock" is a generic and somewhat boring horror endeavor.
Final Thought: The ending is actually the best part of this movie, and I'm not even being sarcastic. The final twist used by writer/director Nicolas Lopez is pretty clever. But what one has to wade through to get to this finale is not at all worth the time. Besides, at the end of the day, "Aftershock" is a film where the faster you realize the kind of low grade production it is, the faster you may want to turn it off (or walk out).

Written by Markus Robinson, Edited by Nicole I. Ashland

Follow me on Twitter @moviesmarkus
May 17, 2013
Aftershock is a mediocre survival horror film that had the potential of being so much better. The film's biggest problem is that it is a film that has a poor cast of actor who are quite bland in their parts. The dialogue is also pretty bad and despite its interesting idea, fails to truly entertain due to an underdeveloped script that just doesn't have anything worthwhile to thrill the viewer in a manner that will keep him on the edge of his seat. This is a predictable affair that has many problems with trying to create a convenient and memorable horror disaster film. But the result is a mess of a picture leaves a lot to be desired. This film could have been great, but Eli Roth is not that great of an actor, I mean he was great in Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds because he really was the Bear Jew and the part suited him, but in other roles, he just doesn't shine, and is wasted on-screen. Just because he produced the film doesn't mean he should have convinced himself he could act, because he can't. He is a decent horror producer and director, and he should stick to that. However here, he scores his first misfire in a while, after Hostel II of course. If you're expecting a great film, you'll sadly be disappointed as this one just doesn't deliver on its concept. I thought it mediocre to poor, and left a lot to be desired. If the script would have been rewritten a few times, and its idea more thought out, then I think Aftershock could have been a memorable and entertaining addition to the horror genre. This is not a film that is worth checking out, and most of time, it's laughable, when it's not supposed to be. For a survival horror film, this one misses the mark, and it shouldn't have because it had the potential of being a great film that stood out.
½ May 14, 2013
The last 10 years, Eli Roth has kind of been the main "go to" guy for horror movies. If his name is attached, it usually means it's going to be gorey, borderline realistic, and generally above average. "Cabin Fever" and the first "Hostel" are both terrific horror movies, and now "Aftershock"(he's just the producer and star actor) is probably the best one his name is on yet. I'm not his biggest fan, but there are so many horror movies that are bad these days, that his tend to stand out above the pack. The basic premise is a group of people are down in Chile partying when a massive earthquake strikes. When crap hits the fan, people tend to go crazy, and this group of people end up on the wrong side of Chile. From there you get rape, torture, crazy death scenes, and a fantastic ending(the last shot of this movie is awesome). This isn't for the faint of heart, and only the hardest of hardcore horror fans will probably like this. Some of it goes too far, but I gotta say, it was good seeing a horror movie that has some balls and doesn't hold back for the PG-13 crowd. This isn't the best horror movie I've seen this year(that would go to the "Evil Dead" remake), but it's very much worth watching. If you like Eli Roth, you'll enjoy it. If you don't like Eli Roth, well, you'll still enjoy it by what happens to his character, but you'll have your eyes closed through most of the movie.
½ July 16, 2015
In "Aftershock," an American(Eli Roth, who also co-wrote) travels through Chile with Ariel(Ariel Levy) and Pollo(Nicolas Martinez). While they show him a good time in night clubs, he bores them silly by taking them to a vineyard. In yet another nightclub, they meet three women also from the United States, Monica(Andrea Osvart), Irina(Natasha Yarovenko) and Kylie(Lorenza Izzo), and invite them along to Valparaiso for even more partying.

What I dislike about horror so much, and maybe even more than the icky parts(which this movie has, so relax), is the fact that filmmakers often use the genre as an excuse to visit all sorts of gross harm onto their characters. And that is no different with "Aftershock" which negates any ambitions of philosophical points it might have otherwise tried to make in favor of an extended sick joke. To make matters worse, the movie also takes relatively forever to get started.
April 30, 2013
Aftershock gives a few thrills and shocks here and there, but overall, all it really did was bore me to death. Aftershock is a film about a huge earthquake that happens during a nightclub in Chile...and the earthquake doesn't happen until about a half hour. The first act was nothing but a not-so-funny road trip comedy that you just want to get over with. You know, like most Eli Roth movies. But Aftershock's second half is a pretty fun thrill ride.
July 6, 2014
Much to my surprise I actually found some moments of Aftershock surprisingly affecting. Though it's a cheap looking, badly filmed and relentlessly grim film (with an especially dull first 30 minutes), there were scenes that were very well played and bizarrely touching. As an actor, Eli Roth doesn't have much in the way of comic timing but he can certainly do distressed and panicked very well indeed, and though characterisation is paper thin, the "arc" of the step sisters is played well enough. Which in a way only shows up how disappointing most of the film is - illogically plotted, relentlessly nihilistic (though that seems to be Aftershock's raison d'être), badly edited and scored.
Francisco G.
½ May 10, 2014
Yep, the worse thing I saw in 2014 so far. This is just wrong on way too many levels. It looks like poo, the story is poo, the actors are poo, the shock values are just awful and poo, poo, poo, poo. Get away from this.
½ January 7, 2013
Aftershock had an interesting premise but failed to impress. The first problem that arisen was the casting, it was just terrible, Eli Roth shouldn't be the lead. The story telling method is terrible, most viewers couldn't give a damn about the activities these morons endured before the earthquake. Even the gore lovers will not be satisfied with the messy direction of the film. Overall, aftershock is an unrealistic depiction of what humanity can do during a disaster. No sympathy given.
June 30, 2014
Although Eli Roth is a better actor than I expected and it hints of ideas of moral decay in a crisis, the movie is overall a repugnant experience an ending that make you go, "ok."
½ February 18, 2014
Talk about a major time waster. I wish I had the hour and a half of my life back for the reprehensible piece of garbage. The plot revolves around an earthquake in Chile and the fact that human beings are even worse than we thought, especially in the murder and rape category. Grade: D-
Ricky Miller 2/18/14
½ September 21, 2013
Eli Roth, best known for "Hostel," "Hostel Part 2," and playing the Bear Jew in Tarantino's "Inglourious Bastards," has probably helped release the most sorry excuse of a film I have seen in quite some time. "Aftershock" follows "Hostel" in that in starts out with a group of middling adults fumbling through a foreign country from club to club, but instead of being kidnapped and sold as torture puppets, a random natural disaster happens, causing them to fight their way out of a crumbling city and out of the grasps of rapists and murderers, that all seem to emerge to exploit the event 5 minutes after it happens. Seriously, the acting is terrible, even the gore isn't worth the view. The opening 45 minutes is next to unwatchable. And when sh*t starts to hit the fan, it's done in such a modest, low budget, edited way that even the rape scene is laughable. And we all know, rape probably should not be funny. Just take comfort in the fact that each of our main "heroes" are gleefully vulnerable and, even though not a single original death exists, the film does end.
½ September 22, 2013
Eli Roth had his hand in this? Come on... I'm all for horror movies, but this was a predictable pile of hopeless crap. And when I say hopeless, every negative scenario that could be fathomed with the infamous Chilean natural tragedies happened with absolutely no hope. If it wasn't for the waste in time to develop emotional attachment to the characters, I might've found more enjoyment in this. Nice try though. Cute and predictable ending.
September 21, 2013
Can't say I was expecting this to be a blockbuster hit. A movie filled with fine looking chicas, gruesome deaths and a weak story with a cliche type ending, like I haven't seen one of these before..
½ August 23, 2013
This was pretty crazy. A group of friends are hit by an earthquake. This frees some criminals everything goes to shit. It's pretty miserable to watch all the horrible shit, but not a bad movie.
½ August 14, 2013
Aftershock's best attribute is the disregard it shows for the safety of its central "heroes" who perish in brutal and generally unexpected ways.
August 5, 2013
Eli Roth delivers again. Whether it is directing, producing or acting, his name on a flick generally means quality. Aftershock is no exception.
½ May 22, 2013
Basically The Final Destination of earthquake movies. What starts as a sort-of South American Hangover, turns into an over-the-top orgy of brutality and destruction (well as much that small budget can afford). Unlike traditional disaster movies, here almost no good deed goes unpunished; where any and everyone can meet a tragic end at any moment. Young, old, good bad...doesn't matter (which is kind of refreshing actually). In fact, it almost becomes predictable in its "unpredictability," where every ray of salvation turns into yet another clusterfuck, sucking the next character into a chasm of doom. It's a wild ride while you're on it, but might not be worth a 2nd trip.